Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'm a parent, and have been on the receiving end of an unhelpful, judgemental adult before. My mom, sister, nieces, my daughter and I were at Academy (this was years ago when my daughter was a busy toddler). My mom was pushing a cart and my daughter was sitting in the basket part of the cart. I was walking alongside. My daughter pulled some kind of ninja stunt move and ended up falling out of the cart before we could properly react (catch her, I mean). When she fell out, she landed on her back and bumped her head. Scary enough as it is, but some busybody standing in a check out line looked right at me and said "B****!". I was trying to console my screaming daughter at them time, but was flabbergasted that she would even say that. I said, rather angrily, "You know what would be cool? Coming over and asking if everything is ok! Calling me a bi*** isn't doing anyone any favors". My daughter was fine, but she scared herself pretty badly, and us as well. If something like that happened, I would hope that I would be kind enough to offer my assistance, and not badmouth someone for something that can happen in the blink of an eye.
While I would not badmouth you and would be concerned that the child was ok, I wonder if that cart did not have a sign that said a child should not be placed in the basket part of the cart. Every cart I have used had that kind of sign. Why wasn't your daughter in the seat of the cart?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,941 times
It is amazing how people love to judge the parenting skills of others. Amazing - it's as though they love to people watch and point "you're good, you're bad, you're bad."

In a public place, it's probably best to not scrutinize others too much, unless you can just let things go. The food sample area can be pretty gross. If you look closely, you will see someone wipe their nose and a couple of moments later, grab for a cracker sample. Should we run up to these people and tell them they are not using proper sanitation near food samples? People take a sample of tea and then come back with the same cup for more - should we run up to them and tell them they need a new cup each time?

I get the feeling (given the outrage of the OP) that there is a little too much free time that needs to be filled. Policing other people's kids (or adults, for that matter), isn't going to make you happier or more fulfilled. Proceed if you must, but you aren't going to reap any rewards for it. You're going to end up frustrated and venting online a whole lot.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 AM

384 posts, read 594,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
It is amazing how people love to judge the parenting skills of others. Amazing - it's as though they love to people watch and point "you're good, you're bad, you're bad."

In a public place, it's probably best to not scrutinize others too much, unless you can just let things go. The food sample area can be pretty gross. If you look closely, you will see someone wipe their nose and a couple of moments later, grab for a cracker sample. Should we run up to these people and tell them they are not using proper sanitation near food samples? People take a sample of tea and then come back with the same cup for more - should we run up to them and tell them they need a new cup each time?

I get the feeling (given the outrage of the OP) that there is a little too much free time that needs to be filled. Policing other people's kids (or adults, for that matter), isn't going to make you happier or more fulfilled. Proceed if you must, but you aren't going to reap any rewards for it. You're going to end up frustrated and venting online a whole lot.
While this may seem like a nice notion, the fact is that if your child is having a tantrum in public, most likely people will notice and comment on it. So I guess the best way out of this is to not to make too much of a scene and apologize to any disturbed patrons. Often times, apologizing will help you out a lot.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
I have a nearly 4 year old diagnosed with autism, to say the least, I have the subject of stares and glares pretty much his whole life.

If you have a problem with what I'm doing, then just pipe up and say it to my face or at least complain to an employee (that is, after all, part of their job). Otherwise get over yourself and move on in life. Do you complain on forums when someone cuts you off when driving, or some cow butts ahead of you in a grocery line? Probably not. For some reason, people tend to spout vitrol about parenting that they decide is improper. Not really sure why.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
While this may seem like a nice notion, the fact is that if your child is having a tantrum in public, most likely people will notice and comment on it. So I guess the best way out of this is to not to make too much of a scene and apologize to any disturbed patrons. Often times, apologizing will help you out a lot.
With kids, most self-aware people can relate: we've ALL been kids, we've ALL had our moments. If we have raised kids (whether our own, a niece, nephew) we know how unpredictable certain situations can be.

I'm a very strict parent who is very conscious of how my kids act in public: don't kick other people's chairs, apologize if you bump into them, don't touch what isn't yours, etc., etc.

You would think that because I have high parenting standards I'd love to go around policing other peoples' kids: not at all. I've had my share and I don't care how other people do it. That's their business. I'll only say something if some poor kid is endangering themselves. Tantrums? I never anyone a second look. Screams? Who cares?

That parent could be feeling ill, could have been laid off from work - who knows what their deal is? Why would I burden them with my ridiculous comments?

Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
With kids, most self-aware people can relate: we've ALL been kids, we've ALL had our moments. If we have raised kids (whether our own, a niece, nephew) we know how unpredictable certain situations can be.

I'm a very strict parent who is very conscious of how my kids act in public: don't kick other people's chairs, apologize if you bump into them, don't touch what isn't yours, etc., etc.

You would think that because I have high parenting standards I'd love to go around policing other peoples' kids: not at all. I've had my share and I don't care how other people do it. That's their business. I'll only say something if some poor kid is endangering themselves. Tantrums? I never anyone a second look. Screams? Who cares?

That parent could be feeling ill, could have been laid off from work - who knows what their deal is? Why would I burden them with my ridiculous comments?
This. I'm often amused at these judgmental people, especially those who don't have kids and think it's possible to have the stamina to micromanage their behavior 24/7. How many times have we heard, "When *I* was a child, I wasn't allowed to ______ like that." How do you know you weren't allowed to? Because you DID IT at some point and someone corrected your behavior - probably more than once. So think about it...once upon a time YOU were an annoying child - to someone, somewhere.

My own child was always low-key and well-behaved (not because of how I raised him; that is just his temperament even now that he's an adult), but once when he was about 9 months old, he started screaming in a grocery store. I got "the look" from other customers, but I was in line with all my groceries on the conveyor belt, so I couldn't exactly leave with him. And do people think the parent is any happier about a screaming baby than they are? If anything, the stress of having everyone glare at you, while you're trying to calm a fussy/hurt/whatever kid makes it worse.

I cut parents and kids some slack in public, unless the parent is being neglectful to the point where the child is in danger or actually deliberately harming something or someone.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM

47 posts, read 68,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I would've just screamed, "Hey! Behave yourself!"
I can't tell if you are joking but I certainly would NOT say such things.

This thread is NOT a "Aren't kids disgusting, annoying little creatures?"

This thread is about being an attentive parent. Like right now I am sitting in a Starbucks (LOL--I present the image of my life being just sitting in cafes, don't I?) and a little girl is running around touching everything, including the drinks in the open case. Her mother was chatting with a friend and the little girl got more and more noisy, as if demanding attention.

I get it. She's a toddler. The world revolves around her. But why in the name of God didn't the mother bring something to keep her occupied, knowing that she would be with her friend?

Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

It's a little unrealistic to expect no comments from patrons if your child is throwing a fit. The least you could do is apologize for the child's misbehavior. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you are responsible for your toddler's behavior.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 AM

47 posts, read 68,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Why would you verbally assault a father of a child if they are misbehaving? Often times the glare of the other customers should be enough. One time a family with a loud toddler came into a restuarant and wailed the whole time. However, the mother had the strength to go to each table and apologize to all of the patrons about the disturbance (small neighborhood cafe). That nullified the wailing toddler for me. Atleast she apologized instead of remaining oblivious to her screaming toddler.
Are you mental? Seriously, are you in touch with reality? Were you addressing this to me?

I do NOT "verbally assault" people!

Or are you such a little weenie that even telling another person that their child is pushing the faucets constitutes assault?

Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask and it shall be given View Post
Are you mental? Seriously, are you in touch with reality? Were you addressing this to me?

I do NOT "verbally assault" people!

Or are you such a little weenie that even telling another person that their child is pushing the faucets constitutes assault?
I'm done. It's so obvious that this is a troll post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting