Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM

108 posts, read 126,137 times

Advertisements

One problem could be if one or more of the children is over weight. Don't forget genes. They play an important role in eating behavior. I've lived with over weight children for years and attest to the fact that a child can be big eater even as a baby and no amount of structure can change that. What can be done is regulating portions and offering snacks that are low in calories. I let my very "hungry" 8 yr old have seconds of green beans but not mashed potatoes. She likes about anything which is wonderful. She'll eat cut up cucumbers just as well as a poptart. She will pitch a fit if there's nothing available to snack on. Unlike her 6yr sister who is slim and can go hours longer between meals, the 8yr has been a big eater all her life and has weight issues even with all the supervision we give her and has been known to sneak food before we get up on Sat. morning. My family, growing up, was heavy except for me and the only time any of them lost weight was after they got grown and learned about nutrition. So, if give tight supervision, especially over the two younger ones who you should be watching over at all times,, you'll have better luck. You can't expect them to govern themselves. You have to be the parent and teach them about food. Are you a good example? Maybe? It's in your hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnSmithJones View Post
That is really unfair to say. They work opposite shifts meaning one is always home. Mom probably naps when littles nap or have quiet time. There is nothing wrong with that. That is not neglect.
Just because someone is home doesn't mean the children are being watched. The OP even said the mom was sleeping while the baby was awake. He "stole" crackers and took them back to his room to eat while the mom was sleeping. This baby is only 1.5 years old, he still needs to be constantly supervised while awake. If something were to happen to the baby, if he were to choke on food, get outside and wander off, or any number of things an unsupervised baby can do, the parents would be charged with child neglect. Even the 3 and 5 year old should be under adult supervision while they are at home. If something were to happen to any of those kids while mom was sleeping, the parents would be in a lot of trouble.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 PM

87 posts, read 136,675 times
Eating food that is off-limits (like...shouldn't be in the home anyway) should never be equated to stealing.

When they see you eat it, do you call it stealing too?

What a way to develop a future criminal! If I get a criminal label just for eating food, in my own home, what on earth comes next?

Semantics aside...if your kids are fiends for sugar, (I noticed nobody is stealing spinach), then get that crap out of the house. Time for a family-wide detox. If there have been any antibiotics used, that might explain some sugar cravers too.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,905 times
Create a "snack shelf" in the refrigerator and explain to the children that they have total control over eating on that shelf, but everything else is off-limits. The snack shelf should be COMPLETELY in their control - what they want, when they want, how much they want. Go for these ideas: Chips, Granola bars, cereal bars, crackers, pretzels, cereal, etc. If you have sugar cravers, let them eat as much sugar as they want!

Last edited by Jaded; 10-09-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
Create a "snack shelf" in the refrigerator and explain to the children that they have total control over eating on that shelf, but everything else is off-limits. The snack shelf should be COMPLETELY in their control - what they want, when they want, how much they want. Go for these ideas: Chips, Granola bars, cereal bars, crackers, pretzels, cereal, etc. If you have sugar cravers, let them eat as much sugar as they want!

I don't agree with strict food restriction. But why would you give them open access to nothing but crap food? Why would you not give them open access to decent, healthy food?

Last edited by Jaded; 10-09-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 04:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetravelingblondes View Post
Eating food that is off-limits (like...shouldn't be in the home anyway) should never be equated to stealing.

When they see you eat it, do you call it stealing too?

What a way to develop a future criminal! If I get a criminal label just for eating food, in my own home, what on earth comes next?

I can't get beyond that term either. Doesn't sit right at all.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't agree with strict food restriction. But why would you give them open access to nothing but crap food? Why would you not give them open access to decent, healthy food?
Granola bars and cereal are NOT crap food.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter if it's granola bars or spinach, they are not being watched and being given to a baby who is not being supervised while he eats. I truly sympathize with OP and his girlfriend as I think they are really trying to improve a difficult situation but there are dangerous things going on too.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Yah they are. Fast carbs and processed crap. And sugar.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Doesn't matter if it's granola bars or spinach, they are not being watched and being given to a baby who is not being supervised while he eats. I truly sympathize with OP and his girlfriend as I think they are really trying to improve a difficult situation but there are dangerous things going on too.
Yes, babies should always be supervised when they're awake. While they're eating it is very dangerous if they are not supervised. I agree with you on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting