Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,208,807 times

Advertisements

Has anyone dealt with this issue? My son is 3.5 and he loves trick or treating (and our neighbourhood is great for it), but he is now on a no-sugar diet and I'm not sure how to deal with this.

Would you make separate treats and just hide the rest when you get home? Let him have a few and just deal with the consequences of it? I'm not sure how to handle this. It's probably the last year that I can be sneaky about it, next year he'll be much more aware.

Thanks

(And just to clarify, I'm not trying to be a meanie, he has autism and processed sugar/syrups seems to drastically affect his symptoms - I have seen remarkable improvement since I started this no-sugar diet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:15 AM

6,423 posts, read 7,203,859 times
I'd make him his own treats and just swap them over when you get home. Just explain to him why he can't have the ones that he was given while trick or treating, its basically the same thing as explaining to an allergic child why they can't have certain things - they might moan but they understand.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 AM

606 posts, read 939,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Would you make separate treats and just hide the rest when you get home? Let him have a few and just deal with the consequences of it? I'm not sure how to handle this. It's probably the last year that I can be sneaky about it, next year he'll be much more aware.
Is there something non-food that he really wants or enjoys? If so, you could do a candy fairy thing, and have him leave his candy somewhere overnight where it'll be magically transformed into the toy/book/etc. he wants.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,558,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Is there something non-food that he really wants or enjoys? If so, you could do a candy fairy thing, and have him leave his candy somewhere overnight where it'll be magically transformed into the toy/book/etc. he wants.
I like this idea.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,372,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
I like this idea too. Thanks for posting!

Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,208,807 times
That's a lovely idea, thank you!!! He is obsessed with excavators right now so I'm sure we can find something like that to trade

Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,186,962 times
I you know your neighbors well enough, could you take some treats for him over ahead of time so that the neighbor can actually give him the treat? (I would do this even for a person that I didn't know) The fact that he gets a handful of treats in his bag that he can have may be exciting for him and make him feel special.

Even if it's just a neighbor or two giving him a few treats, he will love it and it will help reinforce what he can have when you help him sort through the bag instead of the idea that it is all off limits.

I like the candy fairy idea as well!

Last edited by raindrop101; 10-09-2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,582,835 times
I read a story the other day where a dad wrote a letter and sent it out with toys to all the neighbors. Here is the link:
Dad’s Halloween Letter For Epileptic Son Goes Viral (Video) |

It's an option if there is a medical reason for your child not having sugar.

If it is a preference you have, then I'd go with the candy fairy or a switch out to sugar free candy/toys.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:40 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,807,008 times
Sugar free candy.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:34 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,392,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Has anyone dealt with this issue? My son is 3.5 and he loves trick or treating (and our neighbourhood is great for it), but he is now on a no-sugar diet and I'm not sure how to deal with this.

Thanks

(And just to clarify, I'm not trying to be a meanie, he has autism and processed sugar/syrups seems to drastically affect his symptoms - I have seen remarkable improvement since I started this no-sugar diet).
I would make sugar-free treats for him that he doesn't see ahead of time. I would bring a few with me trick-or-treating and hand one to him now and then like they come from his bag. When I got home I would stash the candy and just let him have the sugar-free treats now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting