Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:26 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

(reinactment) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000009

This woman obviously forgot she had her son in the back seat. Some people are just dumb enough to knowingly leave their children (or dog) in a car.

With today's technology, this should never happen. You can't tell me that car companies can't invent something to eliminate this kind of thing happening.

They need to invent an alarm going from the car's electrical system to rear car seats.(like our cars beep when our seatbelts aren't on) The alarm should activate with pressure from extra weight or movement of something (a child or a dog) left in the back seat. It should ring immediately as soon as the ignition is turned off and the driver's door opens and then closes, if the seat pressure indicates that there is weight or movement on the rear seats.

The driver can deactivate it, if it is just cargo like a box or shopping bags, etc. but after 5 minutes if there is even slight movement detected (like a sleeping child) then the alarm should ring again. People in the area would at least be alerted with the alarm going off and be able to do something before tragedy strikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Actually, I think the alarm would need to be in the car seat itself, since car seats can be put anywhere in the car - and how would the car know it was a car seat at all and not a package or something? We'd get so used to turning it off that we wouldn't pay attention to it. However, there could be some kind of alarm in the seat itself - something that has to be shut off when no child is in the seat, and which automatically reactivates when a child is put in the seat. It would be a pain, but if it were me I'd buy a seat like that and put up with it. Fortunately, my son's constant screaming when in the car seat acted as an alarm of its own.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:20 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Here's a simple idea for parents of infants: put your cell phone on the back seat next to the carseat. You're less likely to forget your cell phone than your infant, so that way when you turn around to get your phone before you go into work, you can double check that the baby's not in the carseat.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Here's a simple idea for parents of infants: put your cell phone on the back seat next to the carseat. You're less likely to forget your cell phone than your infant, so that way when you turn around to get your phone before you go into work, you can double check that the baby's not in the carseat.
Somebody suggested in another one of these threads to put a large stuffed animal in the car seat and move it to the FRONT seat when the child is put in the car seat. That way there is a large visual reminder right in your line of sight.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
How scary and great ideas in this thread, especially from the OP. I've read a few stories about this happening and I cannot fathom how difficult this must be on parents who forget their kids. I have an infant mirror attached to the headrest facing my kid, so I can see her, which helps.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
... You're less likely to forget your cell phone than your infant, ...
I have heard this suggestion, and it is a good one, but is this what we've come to

Old 10-12-2013, 04:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
I have heard this suggestion, and it is a good one, but is this what we've come to
Its not that your cell phone is more important, its that it has been apart of your routine for a lot longer. When you are so tired from a lack of sleep your body just goes into autopilot, and sometimes you (unfortunately) forget about new routines. I'm just so used to getting out of my car with my keys and phone in one hand and my purse in the other that I don't even think about it. When I'm walking back out to my car I often wonder if I actually locked my car, since pushing the lock button on my keys is such a habit I don't even think of it.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
(reinactment) 'One Decision' PSA Is Devastating Reenactment Of What Could Happen If A Child Is Left In A Car (VIDEO)

This woman obviously forgot she had her son in the back seat. Some people are just dumb enough to knowingly leave their children (or dog) in a car.

With today's technology, this should never happen. You can't tell me that car companies can't invent something to eliminate this kind of thing happening.

They need to invent an alarm going from the car's electrical system to rear car seats.(like our cars beep when our seatbelts aren't on) The alarm should activate with pressure from extra weight or movement of something (a child or a dog) left in the back seat. It should ring immediately as soon as the ignition is turned off and the driver's door opens and then closes, if the seat pressure indicates that there is weight or movement on the rear seats.

The driver can deactivate it, if it is just cargo like a box or shopping bags, etc. but after 5 minutes if there is even slight movement detected (like a sleeping child) then the alarm should ring again. People in the area would at least be alerted with the alarm going off and be able to do something before tragedy strikes.
If you remember the looong thread from last year about the kids dying in cars, that information is contained in some of the links.

This stuff has been invented. The problem is with liability issues. If this doesn't work/malfunctions and a child dies, people will sue. That's why we aren't seeing this sort of thing on the market yet. Car companies aren't willing to take on the risk.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:08 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
How did our grandmothers remember to get their kids in the back of the covered wagons? Or, perhaps they just forgot a few.....of course, back then they were at a disadvantage.
they didn't have cell phones to use as reminders. Since when is the damned phone more important than the kid that you remember to reach for the phone, to hell with the child?

Old 10-13-2013, 03:48 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How did our grandmothers remember to get their kids in the back of the covered wagons? Or, perhaps they just forgot a few.....of course, back then they were at a disadvantage.
they didn't have cell phones to use as reminders. Since when is the damned phone more important than the kid that you remember to reach for the phone, to hell with the child?
Few mothers worked out of the house way back when. If they had to go grocery shopping, they just laid their babies in blankets beside them on the seat of the car. If she had more kids and they didn't all fit in the front, the bigger kids stood in the back looking over the front seat without seatbelts or car seats.

Cell phones aren't more important than kids, EVER.

Sometimes in this busy world, schedules and routines change and that seems to be a common factor in forgotten children. IE: a mother who normally takes the baby to daycare has an early appointment, so the father is elected to take the child instead. He's got a lot on his mind with work (maybe that new sexy secretary? lol) and once he's out the driveway, he totally forgets about his sleeping child in the backseat. Stress and distraction are to blame in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting