Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times

Advertisements

I have a 16-month-old daughter and she definitely understands much of what we say to her. She understands going for a walk, putting on shoes, changing her diaper, time to eat, time for bed, brush her teeth. We've learned to ask her if she wants more milk instead of saying "Are you done?" Because for the latter she'll just decide she's done but if we ask if she wants more then she might either take more or actually say she's done.

She does understand no but she also ignores it a lot. I've read that kids at this age are exploring. And even after you say no, they may continue to do something just to see if you really mean it. So you have to be consistent. We try positive reinforcement when she does good things, like picking up her toys or when we tell her not to do something and she stops, we say thank you or good job and give her a high five or a hug and lots of smiles so she can learn to tell the difference between what she shouldn't do and what she should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
My daughter didn't understand "no" for a long while, but that is mostly because I didn't use it with her very much. I consciously told her what I wanted her to do, not what I didn't want her to do. So if she's climbing, I don't say "no climbing", I say "feet on the floor".

Old 10-17-2013, 02:36 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
With few exceptions, 16-month-olds don't understand very much English, or any other language for that matter.

Well, NO is NO is all languages, or close enough....it depends on how you say it. Like someone else said, you'll be lucky if the kids understand NO at age 16 Just keep saying it, someday, they might understand

Old 10-17-2013, 04:50 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
She understands it but doesn't like it. Redirection is probably the most effective thing at that age. I started time outs with my daughter from about 18/19 months but a lot of toddlers don't get it that young so I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 PM

501 posts, read 933,059 times
I have no advice for you, except that your daughter is in the terrible twos.

I firmly believe the terrible twos are nature's way of preventing overpopulation.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
With few exceptions, 16-month-olds don't understand very much English, or any other language for that matter.
That's simply not true. When my son was 14 months old, we could ask him to go into another room and bring something like a toy, shoes, or book back (not a specific book, of course; he couldn't read!). He could easily follow 2-step directions at that age.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Hi Guys, I have a 16 month old daughter. I don't have to say "No" a heck of a lot as she's generally happy and not very agressive.

Recently she's been trying some new things, such as climbing on a stool and pinching/scratching when tired or fustrated. I always say NO sternly and remove her from the situation. Usually this upsets her and she insists on headbanging or throwing things to let off steam.

Would you say a 16 month old understands No pretty well, and understands correction? I'll keep at it but it doesn't necessarily seem like she understands what she's not to do.

Can you put a 16 month old in a "time out" for a minute, or is that just futile at this age, as in she won't make the connection between the action and a time out in the play pen?
Sad to say, but it doesn't get any better passed 16 months. Girls seem to get into the terrible two's earlier, and boys get into it later. You have to put your foot down. That's it. Time Out in a place where she has nothing to do. (They hate it if they have nothing to do). If you send her to her room that's pretty and has toys in it "Time Out" will fail. I did two things when my DD started this crap:
1. I took a video of her throwing a fit, and played back to her. She HATED it.
2. I had her sit facing an empty wall until the timer beeped; I started with 2 minutes depending on "what" she was throwing a fit for.

That doesn't work very well with boys; as my older one got the "hang" of it, and then when he did something he placed himself facing the wall mocking me! So, it back fires too...LOLOL It really depends on their personalities. Bribe never worked on my older son, NEVER....no matter what it was. With the boys we took things from them, one by one until they got the point. It worked.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 AM

20 posts, read 74,519 times
I read that even a 6 mth old understands when you say NO. So why not a 16 mth old?..they may not really know what the real meaning is but they know that something is wrong or dangerous...

Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 AM

384 posts, read 594,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is not about understanding English. It is about understanding what Mom intends the child to DO with the No.
Do you mean physical actions, or spoken?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Hi Guys, I have a 16 month old daughter. I don't have to say "No" a heck of a lot as she's generally happy and not very agressive.

Recently she's been trying some new things, such as climbing on a stool and pinching/scratching when tired or fustrated. I always say NO sternly and remove her from the situation. Usually this upsets her and she insists on headbanging or throwing things to let off steam.

Would you say a 16 month old understands No pretty well, and understands correction? I'll keep at it but it doesn't necessarily seem like she understands what she's not to do.

Can you put a 16 month old in a "time out" for a minute, or is that just futile at this age, as in she won't make the connection between the action and a time out in the play pen?
Saying NO, like you do, and "removing her from the situation" is the perfect thing to do. She knows that when you say NO you're not happy with what she's doing....But she might not remember at that age for very long. So don't be too harsh..just gentle and constant reminders.
At 16 months "time out" is not something (I feel) the child can understand. She won't know why. Their attention spans are very short at that age, and they need to be reminded often...Time outs (like putting her in the playpen) are really just for you...she won't remember why after a few mins...don't worry, she'll learn...so be kind and she'll be a happy and content lil gal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting