Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,110,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Problem with this option is that she will miss the bus and walk to school in which the OP isn't comfortable with. (And I agree, I would be the same way!)
So, at what age would you trust your teen to walk to school? The concerns given aren't things that will go away over time; they will be present throughout this person's lifetime. Bad things can happen to anyone, anytime they are walking somewhere. At what point willl you trust your teen and empower them to make good choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, at what age would you trust your teen to walk to school? The concerns given aren't things that will go away over time; they will be present throughout this person's lifetime. Bad things can happen to anyone, anytime they are walking somewhere. At what point willl you trust your teen and empower them to make good choices?
I did let her walk to make a point, even though I wasn't comfortable with it and would prefer it if she didn't have to do that. I think she has enough sense to be aware of her surroundings and not get in the car with a stranger and it was daylight in a busy area. I don't really want her catching a ride with another teenager who may not have much driving experience. I know that's coming, but I'd like to put it off for a year or two.

So, I do trust her to walk to school, but it's 3 miles, which is a 45-60 minute walk so I'd rather drive her or have her take the bus.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Next time she's depending on you to get her someplace that she cares about, take your time. Get there eventually, when you finish your hair, and makeup and whatever else you feel like doing before leaving.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
^^^^^^ THIS!!!!! Like before a movie where she has to be there at a certain time.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
When my kids have trouble getting out of bed and we have a hectic morning, I always tell them, "Hey, it seems like you are not getting enough sleep. Let's make sure you are in bed by 9pm. If you still have trouble getting up and about, we can push it back to 8:30pm. I really want to make sure you are getting enough sleep."

As much as they hate getting up early, they seem to REALLY hate going to bed early. This worked like a charm for me. However, I don't have girls and I know that's a WHOLE other battle.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
When my kids have trouble getting out of bed and we have a hectic morning, I always tell them, "Hey, it seems like you are not getting enough sleep. Let's make sure you are in bed by 9pm. If you still have trouble getting up and about, we can push it back to 8:30pm. I really want to make sure you are getting enough sleep."

As much as they hate getting up early, they seem to REALLY hate going to bed early. This worked like a charm for me. However, I don't have girls and I know that's a WHOLE other battle.
Girls are individuals, just as boys are.

I've known some boys whose morning ritual can rival any given stereotype about girls. My daughter was the nightowl in my house and I never needed to tell my son to go to bed because he was most likely already there. They both hate to be late and got themselves up and ready for school without my interference from the time they were in about 4th grade.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Girls are individuals, just as boys are.
Well, being a female and having four sisters, I remember MUCH more chaos in the morning than my boys cause. Makeup, clothes, hair, jewelry, etc. It was really a madhouse.

One of my sisters that was usually the late one used to say, "I would rather show up late looking good, than be on time and look a mess." (My poor long-suffering mother! )

Old 10-17-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Well, being a female and having four sisters, I remember MUCH more chaos in the morning than my boys cause. Makeup, clothes, hair, jewelry, etc. It was really a madhouse.

One of my sisters that was usually the late one used to say, "I would rather show up late looking good, than be on time and look a mess." (My poor long-suffering mother! )
Well, I'd guess that 5 boys, in this day and age with all the hair gel and cologne etc, all getting ready at the same time it might be just as chaotic. I was one of 2 girls and we never had that problem. It really comes down to the individual - some people are just more high maintenance than others.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Next time she's depending on you to get her someplace that she cares about, take your time. Get there eventually, when you finish your hair, and makeup and whatever else you feel like doing before leaving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
^^^^^^ THIS!!!!! Like before a movie where she has to be there at a certain time.

This may show her how it feels.

Also, unless you have a very, very flexible and understanding boss all of those 10 to 15 minutes late could result in you being fired. In fact for the majority of jobs you probably would already have been fired.

If your daughter follows your example and starts a job at a fast food place, in retail or an office with that attitude (oh well, I'm only 15 minutes late) she wouldn't last a week. So, consider what type of example you are setting for her.

I know parents who have used the three alarm clock system (going off 5 minutes apart, spaced farther and farther away from the bed). That puts more of the responsibility on her to get up on time.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
This may show her how it feels.

Also, unless you have a very, very flexible and understanding boss all of those 10 to 15 minutes late could result in you being fired. In fact for the majority of jobs you probably would already have been fired.

If your daughter follows your example and starts a job at a fast food place, in retail or an office with that attitude (oh well, I'm only 15 minutes late) she wouldn't last a week. So, consider what type of example you are setting for her.

I know parents who have used the three alarm clock system (going off 5 minutes apart, spaced farther and farther away from the bed). That puts more of the responsibility on her to get up on time.
That's a very good point. I'm not going to be fired for being late, but it could be an issue in another setting.

When she wants/needs to be somewhere, she makes sure to get ready on time. I'll take my time the next time she's anxious to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting