Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
In the summertime here, it's not unusual at all to see kids in the grocery store in the middle of the night. My kids are up in the midddle of the night during the summer too. Why? Because I have the summers off and I want to sleep in.

As a matter of fact, it's 10:45 on a school night and both of my kids are still up. Shocking? Maybe, but we're doing school from 10am to 6pm (or earlier, if we finish earlier) so we don't usually wake up until 9. If the kids go to bed at 11, that's 10 hours of sleep, enough for the average kid.
No, not shocking for a homeschooler.

Mine are still up too, watching the Broncos. It is 9:45 here.

ETA, the thread is about toddlers anyway, not school-aged kids. I haven't gotten up when the kids get up in a few years now.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
Mine are 3 and 5. They go to bed by 730. If I mess with their schedule, they implode.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
When is it too late to bring out toddlers, in your opinion? Does anyone have any experience with having the only option of bringing a toddler out late at night?
Within an hour of their bedtime is too late. When you say "only option" are saying if I don't have a babysitter and want to go do something? Too bad. I stay home.

Here's an example of why toddlers should not be brought out, especially to adult venues:

Friday night was the last night for a favorite band to be playing at the lake restaurant everyone goes to. By 9pm the outdoor bar area was packed and there was one couple taking up an entire picnic table, covering it with backpacks for their toddlers. One of the toddlers was running around and around the picnic table tripping over people.

By ten o'clock, you could hardly move on the dance floor. But here come those two assclowns with their babies, letting them get trampled on by other adults, some of which who weren't very nice about having to be careful not to stomp on this one little girl they were allowing to run around. She was so tiny she coiuld barely walk.

I thought it was one of the more disgusting displays of utter selfishness I've seen in awhile.

If you can't get a babysitter, stay the hell home.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Our daughter's bedtime is between 9 and 10pm. So we try not to be out later than 9 so we can start the whole bedtime process.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Aw LDPAL, are your family member's not performing to your parental expectations with their 2 year old again? I see no other reason you would post this, seeing as though you do not have your own toddler.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
When it's far enough past their bedtime that they get outwardly cranky.
I agree with the above. I don't figure any time is too late if the child is rested and in good spirits.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 PM

384 posts, read 594,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Aw LDPAL, are your family member's not performing to your parental expectations with their 2 year old again? I see no other reason you would post this, seeing as though you do not have your own toddler.
I haven't been around that toddler in atleast 6 months and they live nowhere near me. So no. Some spiteful post who someone who just wants to hear opinions.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
I haven't been around that toddler in atleast 6 months and they live nowhere near me. So no. Some spiteful post who someone who just wants to hear opinions.
Hey, you can't blame me for wondering. Otherwise, it seems odd to post a question about toddler routines when you don't have children and seem to love to criticize the parenting of a toddler in your family. Sheer coincidence? Okay, whatever you say Not being spiteful, just pointing out that it's a pattern and not a very nice thing to do That's what moms do.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM

384 posts, read 594,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Hey, you can't blame me for wondering. Otherwise, it seems odd to post a question about toddler routines when you don't have children and seem to love to criticize the parenting of a toddler in your family. Sheer coincidence? Okay, whatever you say Not being spiteful, just pointing out that it's a pattern and not a very nice thing to do That's what moms do.
I'm not the only one commenting on their parenting either. It's my WHOLE family (and our family is quite large). They even posted a picture of their toddler holding a miller light can with the tag of "the new face of miller light". I mean, come on. Are they asking for people to gossip about them?

Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it also depends on why a child is out very late. Is it because the parents put partying before kids, or do the parents work late shifts and have to take them somewhere. Or are the parents traveling. Some family get togethers can last late into the night -- if a child is out because he's coming home from the grandparents or aunt & uncle's home, it's different than if the the parent was just out partying until the bars close.

Older kids need to be rested for school so they should be getting their sleep.
I attended a wedding this weekend and there was the toddler nephew of the groom and a few other preschoolers who were close relatives who were still awake at 11:00 PM. But a family wedding, family celebrations and people who are traveling are a lot different from the usual situations where you see ignorant parents who just drag their young kids out at 11:OO or midnight because Mom ran out of cigarettes or the parents wanted a few drinks before the bars closed.

I briefly worked at Wal-Mart a number of years ago and the store closed at midnight. I remember how shocked I was with the large amount of very young children as well as school age children shopping with their parent or parents at 10 PM, 11 PM or even close to midnight on school nights. Frankly, I was surprised to see any young children that late at night but it was a common occurrence. And this Wal-Mart was in a suburb not the inner city. I really doubt if very many of those families were traveling or returning home from a family celebration or home-schooling their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting