Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Consider this: parents of other kids might press charges against parents. Beat them to the punch right?
They're still liable because they left minors home alone unsupervised by a responsible adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A 15 and a 16 year old shouldn't have been left home alone for a weekend. Idiot parents.
Sounds like these parents can not or will not take responsibility for these girls. Maybe they need help from the police.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
The parents definitely did the right thing.

"20 to 30 raucous teenagers?"???!!!

And the repercussions of 60 parents to deal with???? In a mob coming to pick up their kids, the fighting, the drama etc etc???

No way. Not me. Let the cops deal with it. EVERY SINGLE ONE of those kids knew they were tempting fate and will think twice in the future. It may not be over for these parents, having left them there for three days but at least they can show the court they took it seriously.

Being "charged" will have no permanent scar on the children's records, likely there will be a conditional discharge if they do whatever they're told to do and stay OUT OF TROUBLE for whatever time the court decides. They obviously had NERVE throwing not one, not two but THREE of these parties.

Once I found out a neighbor's kid was having drunk pool parties in the home of my pet sitting client while the family was away. The neighbor daughter had the garage combo code from a year before when she watched their cat and there was a falling out for a dispute between the two families over something.

I thought I was losing my mind because the house had a laundry room light off every time I came in for four days, that I had left ON...for the cat...and then the client called me from out of town to tell me what happened. I was actually getting ready to call her with the phone in my hand when she called me. Because I KNEW there was no way she could have an overhead light on a timer, nobody ever does that. (She said someone went in her yard to cut the grass and found the kids with booze partying in her pool). I assume the kid was turning the light OFF after drying towels/clothing in the dryer, out of habit or assuming she actually turned it on to begin with .

All I could imagine was finding a dead body in that pool if the guy didn't put a stop to it. Or a dead cat.

And some sarcastic moron (likely the teenager) placed one strategic bottle cap of Bud Light on TOP of the empty outside trashcan 3 days after the party was broken up and action taken. I know what was on or in the trash can because I was using it and taking it out to the street so that was NERVY, TOO!

No, I would never in a million years leave my kids alone like that but they did and now everything has changed for EVERYONE in that family. What a mess.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
The parents were smart to call the police. First of all, who knows whether the kids WERE left home alone? They could have been left sleeping over at friends' houses, then lied to the respective families hosting them, saying they were each sleeping over at another friend's house. The house could have been left locked up, and they could have gone in without permission. You don't know the circumstances. Secondly, parents have been arrested in that town for allowing their children to host alcohol parties, and for providing the alcohol. If the parents had not called the cops, and another kid's parents DID call the police, complaining that their child had been given alcohol at that house, the PARENTS could have been arrested. Better that the teens get arrested than the parents. Thirdly, those teens now know that their parents mean business - break the law, and we'll call the cops.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Good for them. Best course of action.
When I read this and other parenting forums, I can only be sort of scared/shocked at how naive the parents of a lot of teenagers are. This behavior should be dealt with very strongly. Calling police was totally appropriate.
I live next door to a hi-$$$ catholic college. Come to my neighborhood this weekend where you can see the results of "I taught my teen to drink responsibly"

Old 10-25-2013, 10:25 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
The biggest issue I see with a mindset to punish to this extreme is you have no more leverage for several years. It makes no sense to me to dole out a punishment that is so all encompassing for the rest of their years under your roof. Plus, comeonnow, this is not realistic unless you and your DH intend to give up having a life.

I am not sure what I would do, I don't think I would call the cops but then again I don't think I would leave two teenage girls at home for a weekend without a trusted friend/neighbor keeping a really close eye on things.
Plus, it could lead to other extreme and more dangerous behavior (running away was the first thing i thought of) since essentially they have literally nothing to lose.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
You can't charge with that if they were invited to the house.
It's still trespassing because the home owner did not invite them.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I agree that the kids were too young to be left alone, the parents could also be charged with neglect, especially since the kids are obviously not mature enough nor trustworthy.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:18 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's still trespassing because the home owner did not invite them.
The home owner's kids are legal residents and they did invite at least some of them.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:24 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
I wouldn't know what to do. On one hand I wouldn't want my kids to get in trouble, so I would have everyone call their parents. On the other hand, I don't want a bunch of parents on my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting