Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:26 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times

Advertisements

A Connecticut couple came home from a weekend away to find their 15 and 16 y/o daughters hosting their third party of the weekend that included alcohol. The parents decided to call the police and their two daughters were both charged with permitting alcohol to minors.

Parents have own children arrested for throwing a party without permission | Mail Online

I can understand that the parents may have trying to prevent liability against them, since a few weeks earlier two parents were arrested for having something similar happen at their home. But I feel a lot of this is the parents fault for not having someone check up on girls of this age while being gone an entire weekend.

If it was my girls, I would have first contacted the parents of all the kids to come pick them up, then I would have expelled the worst punishment I could on the two offenders. Not sure if I would have wanted the police involved, but then again, the liability issue comes up, especially if a DUI with a fatality was involved later.

No word on who bought the alcohol. So what you would do as parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,585 times
I would have checks in place to where this wouldn't be possible and if I came home to the people in charge allowing it or slacking off and having it happen I'd do the same thing but all would be charged.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
I think calling the police might be a bit much, really.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I would have called the police as well and had them all charged with trespassing and whatever else they could be charged with and let the police call their respective parents and deal with them.

After that both girls would have 24 hour supervision until they turned 18 and they would be working around the house paying for any damage that was done as well as all privileges taken away. No cell phones, ipads, computers, telephone at home, vehicle use, etc.
Nothing would become their normal and they would be in the same room with their father or I the entire time they are home. I'm sure they will absolutely hate their lives for the next few years and probably hate me as their parent even more however, as their parent I accept that and we move on.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would have called the police as well and had them all charged with trespassing and whatever else they could be charged with and let the police call their respective parents and deal with them.

After that both girls would have 24 hour supervision until they turned 18 and they would be working around the house paying for any damage that was done as well as all privileges taken away. No cell phones, ipads, computers, telephone at home, vehicle use, etc.
Nothing would become their normal and they would be in the same room with their father or I the entire time they are home. I'm sure they will absolutely hate their lives for the next few years and probably hate me as their parent even more however, as their parent I accept that and we move on.
You can't charge with that if they were invited to the house.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
A 15 and a 16 year old shouldn't have been left home alone for a weekend. Idiot parents.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 AM

589 posts, read 1,347,689 times
I think you need to know your kids. Some 15/16 year olds are responsible enough to be trusted for the weekend, some are not. But yeah, if I came home to that, I would have either: locked the teens in and called every single parent personally, or if it was a really large party, I would call the cops.

But I agree with Hopes, too. Unless you absolutely know that your kids can be trusted, you don't leave them home alone, unsupervised, with no one checking in with them (in person, at random, not calls to a cell phone), for a full weekend.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
There are problems here....my kids would not have thought about throwing a party if I was gone. If I came home, if they had thrown a party, which they would not have dared to do anyway, but, the party would have been over, in a nanosecond.

Respect, and trust starts in the crib. If they don't listen to you when they are five years old,it is pretty much all over. Because it won't change.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Even if you take your kids with you, you shouldn't let them tell their friends nobody will be home. I know a family who went away for the weekend with their children, and their teenager's friends had parties in the house the entire time they were away on vacation. Now THAT was definitely breaking and entering and trespassing.

The daughters found out about it at school because everyone was talking about the parties at their house. They never did get to the bottom of who stole things. Oh, and there were used condoms in the parent's bedroom. How gross is that to have total strangers having sex in your bed? Well, maybe we can give them credit for using condoms. Geeze. Teenagers can be crazy. Some of them need more supervision than infants.

I know many parents who thought their children could be trusted when I wasn't anywhere near true. I call them head-in-sand parents. It's better to be safe than sorry with teenagers.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think calling the police might be a bit much, really.
This. Possibly if there was trouble or complaints but otherwise it seems over the top to call the police.

Throwing parties when parents are away is what 15/16 year olds do so if you don't want them to do that then don't leave them home alone! Or at least not without someone checking up on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting