Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Are Video Games Killing Childhood?

All forms of escapism kill children's childhood AND future. Whether it be obsessing on video games, WWF Wrestling, posting to strangers on the internet, or zoning out watching TV.

Parents have gradually turned over their children to technological babysitters over the past few decades.

If I only KNEW how many YEARS my kid would INSIST his "career" was going to be something to do with WWF Wrestling I would have done things so much differently. HE'S even embarrassed how many years he lost with that stupid "interest". And this is a kid who spend HOURS AND HOURS outside with his friends on multi acre properties doing really fun traditional things like traditional boys have always done. And playing sports every single season, every single sport. Even playing hockey on travel teams and all the way through adulthood. But the OBSESSION was always the stupid technology and fake crap on TV like wrestling. He prevented himself from actual realistic thinking for a long time and interrupted his life progress (when he discovered he could "meet people" on the computer.)
Odd but no one ever talks about the "escapism" that wastes children lives known as books. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:07 AM

219 posts, read 483,871 times
Games aren't the problem. Lazy parents are. Parents too lazy to take the initative to either play with the kids or take them places where they can be outdoors and explore and do kid stuff.

Let's face it - it's easier to hand them a phone to keep them quiet so you cna "get stuff done." But people need to realize that comes with a very high price tag down the line.

I have seen my dear friend's 2-year-old go BALLISTIC when the iPad is taken away from him. It sickens me. But I see how they use it as a babysitter. What did they expect?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
One problem with video games is there are no consequences shown for your actions. You are in a car chase game, you crash the car, then it does not show legal charges, medical injuries, death, increased insurance costs - real life stuff.

Then the kids go out and try to drive like that in real life - some die an early death.

Another problem with kids playing video games while riding in cars - they never look out the windows - they don't learn familiar sights or how to get around town. They don't know what direction to go when they start to drive - as if they were in a totally different city they had never been to before.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Video games have been around for decades, but they weren't as pervasive when our kids were growing up. Still, ours weren't allowed to spend hours perched on the computer (remember chores, people?),and they didn't have one in their rooms. Also, there were no cell phones allowed at the table, and they weren't attached to their electronics when they accompanied us to stores, restaurants, etc.

IMO, kids today (and plenty of adults, too) are spending too much time alone, in their fantasy worlds, and have forgotten how to relate to people. It's up to parents to put the kibosh on that at an early age.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Odd but no one ever talks about the "escapism" that wastes children lives known as books. Why is that?

Do you want to be taken seriously?

Are books truly a waste of time to you? I am glad you enjoy reading at this HS level as this is the extent of what the interweb is.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:02 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Do you want to be taken seriously?

Are books truly a waste of time to you? I am glad you enjoy reading at this HS level as this is the extent of what the interweb is.
I see her point. Books, like video games or WWE, are a hobby someone can follow intensely. Everyone has an escapism, as long as it don't interfere with other aspects of your life, you should not be shamed for it. The WWE example she quoted, I dont see what was wrong with that. I watch WWE myself but im also making As in grad school and performing well at work. Everything in balance.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
One problem with video games is there are no consequences shown for your actions. You are in a car chase game, you crash the car, then it does not show legal charges, medical injuries, death, increased insurance costs - real life stuff.

Then the kids go out and try to drive like that in real life - some die an early death.

Another problem with kids playing video games while riding in cars - they never look out the windows - they don't learn familiar sights or how to get around town. They don't know what direction to go when they start to drive - as if they were in a totally different city they had never been to before.
If you rely on GTA or Need for Speed for driving lessons or teaching consequences for your child, you have much larger problems.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Are Video Games Killing Childhood?

All forms of escapism kill children's childhood AND future. Whether it be obsessing on video games, WWF Wrestling, posting to strangers on the internet, or zoning out watching TV.

Parents have gradually turned over their children to technological babysitters over the past few decades.

If I only KNEW how many YEARS my kid would INSIST his "career" was going to be something to do with WWF Wrestling I would have done things so much differently. HE'S even embarrassed how many years he lost with that stupid "interest". And this is a kid who spend HOURS AND HOURS outside with his friends on multi acre properties doing really fun traditional things like traditional boys have always done. And playing sports every single season, every single sport. Even playing hockey on travel teams and all the way through adulthood. But the OBSESSION was always the stupid technology and fake crap on TV like wrestling. He prevented himself from actual realistic thinking for a long time and interrupted his life progress (when he discovered he could "meet people" on the computer.)
Just because your kid lost interest in WWE does NOT make it a "stupid interest". I lost interest in basketball after being a b-ball freak before middle school and planning on being the next Shaq but I find it a good interest for others.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Do you believe that children ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is an oft discussed topic in the context of parenting. I found this article interesting, particularly from the perspective that many parents who are vehemently opposed to video games are not well informed regarding their content.Are Video Games Killing Childhood? - Speakeasy - WSJ
believe their toys come to life after seeing Toy Story or that there are witches who live in gingerbread houses in the woods and bake and eat children? Or that dolls are little people?

Boys play cowboy and Indians and girls play house. But they know they are playing? Didn't you?

Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is an oft discussed topic in the context of parenting. I found this article interesting, particularly from the perspective that many parents who are vehemently opposed to video games are not well informed regarding their content.Are Video Games Killing Childhood? - Speakeasy - WSJ

God I've loved video games for some time. now it hasn't helped my waistline I would grant you. . .but i'm easily in the 90 percentile of income. . and I wouldn't of gotten here without video games
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting