Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:39 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
"The mother said she found comfort knowing that her son died doing what he loved."

How often have any of us heard or read those words? Some epitaph. I would hate to think, though I do, that the parents were counting on big bucks from the kid when he got to the NBA.

Good grief! I'd break my kid's leg to stop him from playing if that is what it took.
Agreed. Finding comfort in knowing that what he did was responsible for his death is no comfort at all.
It's a rather absurd premise. For argument sake, let's say I had an uncle who really enjoyed snorting cocaine and it killed him. Would it be a comfort to know he died doing what he loved? I hardly think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 01:47 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Especially when we are talking about a child.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's not a "hatred of football" that is driving this thread. In fact, I don't see any hatred of sports at all. I do see people pointing out reality, that there's not much life in sports after college at the latest.

(Mine in teal)
This thread is not about football and I never said that a hatred of football was driving the thread. What I said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When it comes to sports lots of participants on this board are myopic.
When questioned further on the subject I also said"

Quote:
That's not really where I think people are myopic. It makes sense to judge the pros and cons of any sport for a child. What is myopic is the thought that sports are a waste of time, take too much time away from academics, have no real value, etc....That is really what I had in mind when I was talking about being myopic.
I never even mentioned football. Not once. Why are you so focused on it?

I think that the same principles apply to most sports. If a child has a health issue that may be exacerbated by continued participation parents need to consult with more than one physician to get a full range of opinions. If the consequences of continued participation include possible death I personally would make my kids stop participating. But before I came to that conclusion I would see an expert or two.

Regarding second and third opinions I wrote"

Quote:
I think if you get a second opinion that concurs with the first you have your answer. If you get a conflicting answer from the second doctor I would think that you NEED a third opinion.
I never advocated seeking a third opinion unless the first two are in conflict.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:51 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,233 times
1) Do we know what his actual heart conditions were?
2) Do we know what the doctor actually said?
3) When he was first diagnosed with his heart conditions, what was his reason for seeing a doctor in the first place? Had he fainted or collapsed playing sport previously? Or were they incidental findings found on a general exam?

I am wondering whether the irregular heartbeat was due to long QT syndrome. I would have thought the recommend course of action was stopping sports due to the possibility of sudden death but I note that the Mayo Clinic offers the following advice:

Mayo Clinic - Sports Guidelines for Long QT Syndrome Patients May Be Too Strict, Mayo Clinic Finds

Personally though, I wouldn't want to be risking it.

However, we don't yet know if that is the "irregular hearbeat" condition - there are other more minor ones.

In regards to a "leaking valve", I am assuming it is something like a mitral valve prolapse. This blog by a doctor recommends the following:

The Athlete's Heart Blog: Don't Play If....Part 2: Heart Valve Problems

and he also says this about long QT syndrome:

The Athlete's Heart Blog: Long QT Syndrome

I have a couple of minor congenital heart conditions - apart from a minor mitral valve prolapse, I also have an atrial septal defect with atrial septal aneurysm - in my case, the ASD is quite small and asymptomatic and doesn't seem to be particularly affecting me in any way although I haven't had an echo for a while. Sportswise, I think I'm allowed to play anything.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
This thread is not about football and I never said that a hatred of football was driving the thread. What I said was:
I never even mentioned football. Not once. Why are you so focused on it?
Well, maybe because you said this:

Quote:
There are posters on this board (no one person specifically) who are very anti sports and extremely anti football. They are entitled to their opinion but I thought it was worth mentioning when someone made the comment that one person was myopic.
Plus, your opinions on this subject are well known. You seem to know and agree with all the NFL talking points.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree with mama bear. I would get a second opinion (just in case the first doctor was wrong or extremely, extremely over cautious) and if the results were the same I would explain it to my child and would insist that they quit. I would then encourage my child to work with a counselor to get over their grief.Now if my "child" was college age or above and on a college or professional team I may allow them more input but would still push them to follow doctor's orders. But, if they were truly an adult (out of college, working full time) it would have to be their decision.
To the person who commented in their rep to me that 18 year old college students ARE adults my comment to you is"Maybe yes and maybe no".

If you are an 18 year old college student totally on your own, paying 100% of your current expenses, taking out any student loans in your own name without having your parents co-sign them, are not on your parents cell phone plan & car insurance plan, do not just sign your name to your parents card when they buy wedding gifts for relatives, and certainly would never ever consider buying items on your parents PayPal account or credit card, etc, etc then you could be an adult.

To all other 18 year olds you are not totally an adult, even if you may think that you are an adult.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-31-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
And as the parent of a 14 or 18 year-old, hopefully one has a little more knowledge and life experience to make a well-informed decision. The imagined invincibility of the average adolescent makes medical decisions difficult in certain situations, they really don't have the capacity to understand the potential of medical conditions.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Something that intrigues me in this day and age is the need to bring counselors into every aspect of one's life when facing reality. How did humanity ever make it up until the point people, especially those dealing with children, deemed it necessary to counsel us when things happen or may disappoint us? Aren't parents supposed to fill that role? I know mine did. In most cases a counselor is not needed as it is life...reality and s**t happens. A counselor can make matters worse by injecting worthless junk into one's head.

Then there are those who love PC ladened Kool Ade.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
To the person who commented in their rep to me that 18 year old college students ARE adults my comment to you is"Maybe yes and maybe no".

If you are an 18 year old college student totally on your own, paying 100% of your current expenses, taking out any student loans in your own name without having your parents co-sign them, are not on your parents cell phone plan & car insurance plan, do not just sign your name to your parents card when they buy wedding gifts for relatives, and certainly would never ever consider buying items on your parents PayPal account or credit card, etc, etc then you could be an adult.

To all other 18 year olds you are not totally an adult, even if you may think that you are an adult.
An 18 year old is an adult no matter who pays their bills. If a parent CHOOSES to pay the expenses of their adult offspring that does not negate the adult status of the offspring. We pay our adult son's tuition, room and board, cell phone bill, and car insurance. There are string attached to the money. He has to hold up his end of the bargain. If he doesn't hold up his end of the bargain we will not continue to pay. None of that makes him a child.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, maybe because you said this:

Plus, your opinions on this subject are well known. You seem to know and agree with all the NFL talking points.
This thread is about whether parents of teen athletes should stop their child from playing ANY SPORT because of a potentially life threatening medical problem.

How does that relate to NFL talking points? I can tell you. IT DOESN'T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting