Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,929,203 times

Advertisements

None, zero, no kids at all last night.

Churches in our area have members put treats and decorate the trunk of their cars and they call it trunk treating. The cars are parked side by side with their trunks open and the owner gives out treats. A lawyer's office in town had their associates do the trunk treating this week too.

In addition last night our downtown merchants (23) sponsored Boo-HaHa which included treats from all the merchants, dancing, games and costume contests. Our world has changed so much I guess parents feel this is safer for their children than the door to door that I did as a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,213,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We get a lot of kids at our house...LOVE IT. If you are a teenager in costume, you get double candy at my house. I would say most of our neighbors hand out candy too. Our kids never had issues filling their bags. I'm out of town for work so no trick or treaters for me .

I like the way you think! We also give teens more.

We never had a problem with our children Trick or Treating. Even our youngest, a HS Junior, went out for a while last night.

We had loads to Trick or Treaters and enjoyed every minute of it!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,732,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My aunt and uncle said that they had about 200 kids and my kids are all grown and the grands went out last night and my son called me and said they ran into alot of kids his gf was staying home to hand out candy and they said they had a good hundred kids as well . she says she had candy left over I guess they did because she bought like 12 bags of the 100 pieces at costco . I told her she would have candy left over ....LOL it was done by 9 pm she also told me kind of cold here but in florida it was humid and all the kids were out .
Do they live in south Florida? Sounds like my nieghborhood, wave after wave of kids.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:05 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,211,190 times
Love Hallowe'en here....lots of kids this year and oh the costumes were great! Our yard is a wee bit scary so some kids won't come to our door (they'll send mom or dad instead). However those that couldn't do it last year are very proud when they do make it! My husband loves making his own decorations...he usually starts with a good mask and builds a body to go with it.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,908,131 times
There were tons of kids out in my neighborhood last night. It started right at 6 and pretty much ended right at 8. I took my kids out and we went around the whole neighborhood, which took us almost the whole two hours, while my husband stayed home and passed out candy. At least half of the (participating) neighbors were out at the end of their driveways with their candy so that the kids didn't have to go up and down each driveway. If the porch lights were out, then you don't bother going to that house. One cul-de-sac was having a block party of it and they all gathered in one driveway and put out a long table with each of their candy buckets, so the kids would go down the line and pick one from each bucket. We let the kids eat as much as they want last night, but after that they can have 1-2 pieces after dinner each night. The candy usually lasts months - easily past Thanksgiving and Christmas, just long enough to get replaced with Easter candy!

We trick or treated our cul-de-sac (about 8-10 houses) on foot, and after that I pulled the kids in the wagon. My 4yo has gross motor issues and, while she can walk and her "legs are functional", she is not able to easily walk that far. Since I was pulling her, of course my other daughter also chose to ride in the wagon too. So I did drag the wagon right up the driveway all the way to people's doors. Then the kids either got out there, or else the homeowner reached out and came to them. A lot of people thought it was weird, or at least noticeable, that I was pulling them around like that, but nobody said anything negative about it, just stuff like "Now that's trick or treating in-style" or "Mom deserves some candy for that". I don't think that most people would have had any idea that she has special needs and that that's why I was pulling the wagon though. But my daughter was very aware of the holiday this year and was excited to go out in her costume and trick or treat and she ate a ton of candy too. So it all worked out great for us.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:41 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,810,245 times
was more fun letting them go in a group with their friends while we followed behind. They rushed from house to house with a big smile. This as opposed to just going with mom and dad and strolling slowly at our pace. It was tough to keep them from running too far ahead but that was the only bad thing.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:42 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Do they live in south Florida? Sounds like my nieghborhood, wave after wave of kids.

They live in Ft Lauderdale and they love it . They play tennis everyday at their condos and play golf with their retired friends but they are so cool for older people . They are in their 70's and are very active and fit .They also love kids and always have . These two beautiful people never had children of their own and I think someone made a mistake because they would have been excellent parents .They said they had a blast last night watching all the kids in their costumes and they actually took some pictures of the kids and they asked the parents of the kids if they could .Halloween and christmas are their fave holidays .

Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,681,768 times
My daughter decided this year she was to old to trick or treat, but at the last minute her and a friend threw on costumes and went out begging for candy. They said people were giving out tons because there weren't many kids out.

They stayed in the neighborhood but apparently some areas don't get visited as much as others. At our house we had a nice turn out and gave trick or treaters full-sized candy bars.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,965,267 times
We had a fun night too.....lots of young kids in our neighborhood ....630-730 pm was packed with kids..... great weather for trick or treating ... around 40 with a light wind. In past years....we've had to have gloves, hats and coats over the costumes but not this year. We go with two other families with similarly aged children (ages 4 to 8) and they love to run ahead of us a bit...while we follow behind.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,382,667 times
I'm personally not a fan of Halloween in today's society. Think about it. As parents, you tell your children repeatedly not to talk to strangers, not to take candy from strangers, etc. Then one night a year, you tell them it is fine to knock on every door in sight and ask for candy.

It made much more sense 30 years ago when I was a child. We all trick or treated in our own subdivision, parents walked with us around the neighborhood, and knew most, if not all, of the people whose doors we visited. Today, people drive their kids to the wealthiest neighborhood in town, drop them off and pick them up 3 hours later. Meaning they are turned loose with no supervision (at all ages) around people they don't know at all. Just not a smart thing to do. (I lived in one of those subdivisions growing up, and my parents would buy 12 to 15 of the big bags of candy, and run out before the night was over, so I've seen this firsthand)

Today, I'm much more a fan of events like Trunk or Treat, where at least the parents mostly know each other. If you live in a close knit community, and know all your neighbors, I'm ok with that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting