Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:50 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Wait...
Kid asks for gum
Mom says no
Man says "well, I guess we know who is in charge in that household!!"

How on earth is that unsolicited parenting advice? NO advice was given at all!

Why would you be annoyed at that? You should be happy that he saw that YOU are in charge, as the kid did not get the gum.
I would agree with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 PM

238 posts, read 227,563 times
I usually ignore random strangers, or give them an eyeroll and go about my business. If it's been one of those days and I just can't keep it in any longer, my default is usually sarcasm and I'd say something like:

Judgmental much?

You had your chance to screw up your kids, now it's my turn. (I used this one a lot when I knew they had kids, especially if i knew their kids weren't perfect.)

It must be nice to be perfect and have perfect children.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, I wish store management and/or employees would intervene some times. What I see fairly often are two year olds and older going through the meat aisles pressing their little grubby fingers into the meat, often perforating the plastic and the parents seems to think it's completely cute.

I think when parents allow their children to deliberate destroy products, instead of passing the costs down to everyone else, those parents should be held responsible.

Other customers might pipe up but it won't do any good but store management could do something about unruly and destructive customers.
Destructive, yes, loud or unruly no.
Staff at stores and restaurants are not there to police bad parenting. NOT their place to make those judgement calls, especially not knowing if a child does have autism or other reasons for their behavior, and not in the litigious society we've turned into.
Peer pressure used to work wonders, parents were embarrassed to be called out about their kids bad behavior. Now, many either don't care, or get defensive if you suggest that their little precious is behaving like a brat.
If I ask a child to pick up something they've thrown on the floor at a store (and I'm a mgr) I often get eye rolls or worse from the parents. I can't imagine the reactions if I asked them to keep their kids quiet or to keep their sticky little hands and mouths off everything.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Okay so let me get this straight.

The OP's child is allowed to be grumpy, but the person making the comment isn't?

How about - everyone gets grumpy and cranky and moody from time to time. That day, it was your child's turn, AND it was the old guy's turn. They both took their turns on the same day. Out of all the people who live on this planet - how remarkable that exactly two people might show up in the same building, and be grumpy at the same time.

You know what's even more remarkable? That the OP became grumpy as a result! That's THREE GRUMPY PEOPLE occupying the same building at the same time!

OMG call the press, post an announcement on CD. The world is ending, Armageddon has begun.

/snark

Really OP though - it's not a big deal. If that's the worst thing you experienced in your day, you obviously don't work in retail. You want to hear about grumpy kids and grumpy adults making snide remarks - come work with me for a shift.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 9,406 times
People who make remarks like that are bitter. For why? Who knows. The most you'll get from me is "Tired, isn't he?", with a smile. I am 70 and have been there and done that. I remember how hard it was to get a kid through the store without buying everything in the place. And I was not very good at it. Just ignore them and keep up being a mom. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
My remark would have been, "Yep, I am which is why he isn't getting any gum. Sorry you don't agree." and move on. I know that isn't what he meant but that's what I would have said to "correct" him. Especially if I was cranky enough otherwise I would just ignore.

I give sympathy looks to harried parents that you can see care what is happening and trying to hurry up to get out of there. But I don't like parents that ignore screaming kids and keep shopping leisurely up and down each aisle. I wouldn't say a word nor would I try to "glare" at them etc. That's just childish. Just get out there and move on.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My remark would have been, "Yep, I am which is why he isn't getting any gum. Sorry you don't agree." and move on. I know that isn't what he meant but that's what I would have said to "correct" him.
What?
He DID agree, but you have to "correct" him?
That makes as much sense as the OP's overreaction....

Old 11-03-2013, 01:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What?
He DID agree, but you have to "correct" him?
That makes as much sense as the OP's overreaction....
The gentleman thought the OP was letting her kid be in charge...so the comment I suggested would have the mom correct his thinking by saying no she's in charge not the kid and being sarcastic that he doesn't 'agree' with it.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Okay so let me get this straight.

The OP's child is allowed to be grumpy, but the person making the comment isn't?

How about - everyone gets grumpy and cranky and moody from time to time. That day, it was your child's turn, AND it was the old guy's turn. They both took their turns on the same day. Out of all the people who live on this planet - how remarkable that exactly two people might show up in the same building, and be grumpy at the same time.
Well, with the tiny difference that the OP's child is 2, and the old guy is obviously just a little bit older, and you would think should be a bit smarter and more mature, and should've by now figured out simple social rules and basic human courtesy, like not making snide comments to strangers. But I guess some people never really mature past toddlerhood.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Well, with the tiny difference that the OP's child is 2, and the old guy is obviously just a little bit older, and you would think should be a bit smarter and more mature, and should've by now figured out simple social rules and basic human courtesy, like not making snide comments to strangers. But I guess some people never really mature past toddlerhood.
Everyone expresses their grumpiness in different ways. Some get road rage. Some tell the cashier "no wonder you're just a cashier, you're too stupid to do anything else" when they don't get the price that they wanted on their 5-pack of pens. Some post on an internet forum about how old men comment to someone else, about a third person's child. And some - like 2-year-old children, have temper tantrums.

Most people don't act out the simple social rules and basic human courtesy 24/7. As I said - sometimes people get grumpy. And just like that 2-year-old, sometimes they express their grumpiness. If it's okay for a 2-year-old to do, then it's okay for a 70-year-old to do. And I'd say - it's probably even MORE okay for the 70-year-old to do, because he's lived long enough to have earned the right to express his grumpiness. The 2-year-old hasn't been alive even as long as the 70-year-old's dentures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting