Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 06:03 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This is huge. HUGE.

This child is in no shape to go away to college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post

DD2 is not ready for college emotionally or academically. She's gotten all A's so far so she never learned how to study? Do you really think that' s going to happen in college? Things will just come easy to her because she skipped a couple of grades and was labeled gifted? She's going to be with people who are just as smart or smarter than she is. And you want her to go away to college at 16? If she can't handle stress now without drinking and she lives with you, what do you think will happen when she's on her own? Do you want to get a call from the police saying that she's killed someone while she was drunk? Or worse, that she's dead due to an alcoholic accident?

As everyone else has stated: Take this as a wake up call and get help for your family before it is to late.
My first thought too.

If you think she should go to college next year you are delusional. If you think college will be a breeze because of the classes she is taking this year you are delusional. She is in no way shape or form mature enough to go off to college. She's already proven that. She's not even mature enough to be a Junior in high school!

This whole thread is unbelievable to me. The denial is mind boggling.

Last edited by WhereTheSidewalkEnds; 11-06-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Ivory, the more I read your posts in this thread, the more I realize your problem is your marriage, not your children. Your children are mere pawns. You don't like DD1; your husband cuts her slack. You adore DD2; your husband parents her with a baseball bat. It's like you each have your own precious pets, and you each despise and resent each other's pets. Forget the parenting forum. You need serious marriage counseling. Until you and your husband resolve your marriage problems, your children are doomed to unhealthy parenting.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Long timer lurker; first time poster.

DD2 is not ready for college emotionally or academically. She's gotten all A's so far so she never learned how to study? Do you really think that' s going to happen in college? Things will just come easy to her because she skipped a couple of grades and was labeled gifted? She's going to be with people who are just as smart or smarter than she is. And you want her to go away to college at 16? If she can't handle stress now without drinking and she lives with you, what do you think will happen when she's on her own? Do you want to get a call from the police saying that she's killed someone while she was drunk? Or worse, that she's dead due to an alcoholic accident?
This is great comment. Sometimes you need to slow these really bright kids down for their own good. Too often they crash and burn because they are simply not ready And mostly, they re to immature to realize it themselves. That is the responsibility of the parents.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Ivory, the more I read your posts in this thread, the more I realize your problem is your marriage, not your children. Your children are mere pawns. You don't like DD1, your husband cuts her slack. You adore DD2, your husband parents her with a baseball bat. It's like you each have your own precious pets, and you each despise and resent each other's pets. Forget the parenting forum. You need serious marriage counseling. Until you and your husband resolve your marriage problems, your children are doomed to unhealthy parenting.
DD1 has already voted with her feet. That ship has sailed. Even if she comes home, the relationship has changed forever.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
DD1 has already voted with her feet. That ship has sailed. Even if she comes home, the relationship has changed forever.
It hasn't sailed in the marriage. They're still using her as a pawn in their relationship, and they will continue to do so. For example, Ivory didn't want DD1 to have a car, and her husband handed DD1 the car keys. They can't agree on anything. They undermine each other. They use the children to hurt each other. They'll continue to do it long after DD2 moves out. I can already envision future threads of Ivory's being about her husband refusing to pay for DD2's college as a punishment. It doesn't matter how old the kids get or where they live, they will always remain pawns in the marriage.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It hasn't sailed in the marriage. They're still using her as a pawn in their relationship, and they will continue to do so. For example, Ivory didn't want DD1 to have a car, and her husband handed DD1 the car keys. They can't agree on anything. They undermine each other. They use the children to hurt each other. They'll continue to do it long after DD2 moves out. I can already envision future threads of Ivory's being about her husband refusing to pay for DD2's college as a punishment. It doesn't matter how old the kids get or where they live, they will always remain pawns in the marriage.
Yeah … I see your point. Although I think it is highly likely that one or both of the girls will hold their parents at arms length once they become financially independent.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
I thought that both Ivory and her husband agreed that DD#1 couldn't have the car if she moved out.
And, that DD#1 was "coming over tonight pick it up". I wonder what happened.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Yeah … I see your point. Although I think it is highly likely that one or both of the girls will hold their parents at arms length once they become financially independent.

Additionally, due to their parent's pitting one against the other, they won't even have the benefit of a healthy sibling relationship with each other. Their parent's selfish needs to be right at the expense of the other, took precedent over providing a healthy home for their children.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I thought that both Ivory and her husband agreed that DD#1 couldn't have the car if she moved out.
And, that DD#1 was "coming over tonight pick it up". I wonder what happened.
It's obvious he changed his mind against Ivory's objections.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM

87 posts, read 167,458 times
OP - I hope you take to heart some of the comments about being in denial about this situation. She's 15. I cannot fathom a 15 year old running around to "parties" where there is even a chance alcohol is being served.

I come to this website occasionally when I am surfing during down time. In the close to 5 years I've been registered here I think I've posted less than 50 times. It shows on your posting ID that you have been a member for just a few months longer than me and have made around 19,000 posts. That's a HUGE amount of time in your life if you are a working mom of 2. (that's an average of 10 posts a day, EVERY SINGLE DAY for the past 5 years, FYI) Please step back from the computer and spend some time with your family working this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting