Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:13 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,491,374 times

Advertisements

My xH wouldn't introduce me to his wife nor tell me her name (the married after 6 months of dating). I figured out who she was and sent her a message on Facebook, thanking her for taking such good care of my children when they were with her, and asking to meet her, because, as a mother, I wanted to know who was going to be important in the lives of my children.

The next time I went to my ex's house to get the kids, his wife nudged him out of the way and introduced herself. She and I now have a very cordial relationship. (My ex had the most horrified look on his face the whole time his wife and I were chatting. I guess he thought I was going to go psycho.)

This may not work for you, but, on the other hand, the boyfriend might be willing to go around your ex to address your concerns.

I will also second that you cannot be pushed out of your daughter's life as long as you are around. My current H has no relationship with his dad - but his dad stopped coming around. My children love their stepdad dearly and look up to him. They also love their dad and look up to him. It's a win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
She and I now have a very cordial relationship.
Bless both of you. Good job.

I wish more people would act like ADULTS and do what is right to make sure the child is taken care of.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,253,207 times
God I pity you.

It's one thing losing control of your ex spouse, but losing control with your kids mom is a whole different ball game.

The kid will probably be just fine depending on what sort of woman your ex is.

If she's not, you can always apply for custody.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Not helpful to you but may help others pause...
If you wanted to be her only daddy, you should not have split with the mommy.

Now you have ZERO control of who is around her, tells her things, etc.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,879,089 times
I really feel for you, Bud, it must be very tough. Thank God my Sons were in their 20's when their mom and I divorced. It would have killed me to have them be young and go through all the turmoil and back and forth that kids of a divorce go through.

But you have to chill out a little on the boyfriend thing. He is there , and you can't change that. But odds are he will be gone at some point, that is usually what happens. Just know that your little girl will always know you are her "real" Father. You need to be there for her and ignore all the other stuff going on.

It will also make life so much better for your Daughter if you and the mom stay friendly. It will eliminate a lot of stress for everyone. I know it is tough to do sometimes, but it really does help.

Don

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,199,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not helpful to you but may help others pause...
If you wanted to be her only daddy, you should not have split with the mommy.

Now you have ZERO control of who is around her, tells her things, etc.
Stan Sometimes things just don't work out and it's better foe everyone including the child(children) to be apart. Pretty rough comment since you don't know the situation.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Usually rebound relationships don't work out --- this guy is probably just one of what will be a long list of mother's lovers your daughter will have to get to know. You should just hope he's halfway decent and doesn't harm your child.

You need to be the constant father figure in her life. It's why people used to get married before having a family and at least they intended to have it be until death did they part even if that didn't always work out.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:21 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,765,736 times
If this relationship with the new guy works out (and it sounds like they are becoming committed to each other) you will always be your daughter's dad, but you need to allow her to form a family unit with the people she shares a home with.

It's tough, but these are just the consequences of splitting up when children are very young.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:55 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,375,643 times
Our lives are expanded with new people. Be happy that another person seems to take an interest in your daughter.

BTW---What the heck does this mean, "nor does she yearn for any monetary support for my daughter." Do you not pay child support? No wonder the old GF is looking for a new man in her life. Fathers pay for their children because it's their responsibility, not because the mothers "yearn" for monetary support. That little bit will do more in the long run to harm your relationship with your daughter than another man in your Ex's life.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Our lives are expanded with new people. Be happy that another person seems to take an interest in your daughter.

BTW---What the heck does this mean, "nor does she yearn for any monetary support for my daughter." Do you not pay child support? No wonder the old GF is looking for a new man in her life. Fathers pay for their children because it's their responsibility, not because the mothers "yearn" for monetary support. That little bit will do more in the long run to harm your relationship with your daughter than another man in your Ex's life.
I think he probably means that he pays the child support on time so the mother isn't yearning for it as she's getting it on time already. At least thats how I understood it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting