Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider it ok to serve beer and wine to adults at a birthday party for kids between 5 - 10?
Yes 36 51.43%
No 32 45.71%
Yes, but I personally wouldn't drink at it. 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:36 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
If the adults can't go without alcohol for one day, they have a drinking problem!

Also it sets a good example for the kids when the adults can show they can have a good time without alcohol. Not to mention that an adult who has had too much to drink can be frightening to a kid.

If it is an all adult party, then fine bring out the alcohol and booze it up, but if a kids party, no alcohol.
It's quite a stretch to say that serving beer at a party means people can't go without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you and everyone else is missing the point entirely..........

This is "supposed" to be a birthday party for THE CHILD............NOT entertainment time for the adults.
Also no matter how hard you try "some" people will abuse the free alcohol available and then who do you call the adult's parents to come and get them?
I don't understand why the child cannot have a nice party and the adults have some entertainment at the same time. In our family a child's birthday party is time for the family to gather and have a good time together. The birthday child AND the guests are meant to have a nice time.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't understand why the child cannot have a nice party and the adults have some entertainment at the same time. In our family a child's birthday party is time for the family to gather and have a good time together. The birthday child AND the guests are meant to have a nice time.
Is alcohol necessary for adults to have a nice time?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:38 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes...

Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
In our region MN/ND....it varies. If it is at a house, then we have been where beer or wine has been made available but the focus is on the kids and the cake and presents. Most parties are pretty small scale for the most part. My wife and I dont drink so no issues there, and if a birthday party is held at our house wouldnt buy any alcohol for anyone, but if someone brought a beer or wine cooler we wouldnt disallow it.

In general though we usually had birthday parties for him and his friends at party places like a bouncy house, movie theatre, the YMCA, etc and that works out best usually and less cleanup for us parents afterwards. Especially true since our twins are born in February, which is not a great outdoors month in our region (too cold usually) and our oldest in late April (which again can be an ugly time of year muddy from the snowmelt).

Old 11-08-2013, 06:40 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times
I just assumed that drinking during a kid's birthday party was the only way to maintain sanity.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
It's not necessary but neither is cake or ice cream. They are just typical party foods and beer and wine are also party drinks.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:45 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
Nope, because:
  • Once the party ends the kids have to be in the backseat with a parent who has been drinking
  • I don't drink; therefore, I get annoyed with drunk people (when you're sober, drunk people are no fun; and when you're drunk sober people are no fun)
  • I wouldn't want kids to see their parents under the influence
  • Alcohol isn't necessary (and she be banned - BRING BACK PROHIBITION!)

Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
I don't think so -- and no one in those parties forces you to drink alcohol, there are usually also soft drinks.

To me either way is okay. Where I was from, parents dropped off the child for a party that would last 2-3 hours, and were expected to pick them up at very close to the exact time. Kids would bring presents, play games, have some food like hotdogs and chips, watch the birthday kid open the presents, have some cake and ice cream and then leave. A fun time for the kids and the parents get a 2-3 hour break from their child.

Where I live now, the whole family plus can go to the party, adults sit around socializing, kids run around and play, might come and sit with their parents for a while to rest and then go play some more, food tends to be more elaborate and there can be tons of it, the party may go on well into the night, kids will likely bust open a piñata while adults watch and laugh. Some adults drink a little and some might drink too much, others might not drink at all. Parties like this can be to celebrate the birthday of a one year old who of course is mostly oblivious to the whole thing.

Or they have a party at a pizza place where there are long tables and plenty of beer and pizza and soft drinks and kids are given tokens to play - and if they run out, they can go to their own parents to get money to buy more.

It's just a regional/cultural difference. The parties can be fun for the kids either way.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:16 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,843 times
Yes, when a kid party is a masquerade for an adult party, serve liquor. That's how my family did it.

But if it is truly a day for your child to celebrate with his/her peers, I'd skip the liquor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting