Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Never saw it faked either. I don't care how "pretty" my kids' handwriting is and they signed the cards however they wanted complete with little drawn pictures. I even "translated" their words in my writing if it wasn't legible. That's as far as I will go.

What I think is odd is my dad will sign his name and then sign his wife's name on the kids' cards. My daughter will say, "Oh why do they have the same handwriting?" I don't know why he can't just sign it like Love us, Love your grandma and grandpa etc. instead of Love, Grandpa Love, Grandma. It's a piddly thing and I won't ever mention it but this thread reminded me of it.
I think that is odd, too. Sometimes I will sign cards, "Love, Mom and Dad" ---- very clearly in my handwriting. But, it is pretty obvious when we sign it separately because it says "Love, Mom" in my handwriting and "Love, Dad" in his handwriting.

I have seen some parents sign cards "hand over hand" with their child's name (usually for a preschooler who was just learning how to write his name or wanted to add their name but had trouble with it). But "fake writing" a child's signature is something that I haven't seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,610 times
Umm...no. I just recently sent some thank you cards written by me as if it was my 3 year old but it was really obvious I was the one writing them and I didn't make the writing look like a 3 year olds. They said something like this, "I really love the fun new books you gave me for my birthday..."" blah, blah, blah. After I sent them I was thinking about it and realized that was a very weird thing for me to do. What has happened to me??? I told my husband we need a babysitter and a date night pronto. Just weird.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:49 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Umm...no. I just recently sent some thank you cards written by me as if it was my 3 year old but it was really obvious I was the one writing them and I didn't make the writing look like a 3 year olds. They said something like this, "I really love the fun new books you gave me for my birthday..."" blah, blah, blah. After I sent them I was thinking about it and realized that was a very weird thing for me to do. What has happened to me??? I told my husband we need a babysitter and a date night pronto. Just weird.
LOL I do send thank you cards and let them "scribble" on it. Then I write under, "This says, I love my toy...." and whatever message you want to convey. I too think I am weird for it but shrugs, my kids will only be kids once.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:31 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
No. I don't see the point.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
This is beyond weird. I've never heard of such a thing. I've never even heard of anyone expecting a preschooler to send out a card on his/her own. Christmas cards are from the family and either myself or DH signs them. The kids are included as part of " family"

If a two,three, four year old gets a gift who in their right mind expects a thank you card signed by the kid ? An in person thank you or a phone call from the child is fine. Maybe mom sends a written thank with her own signature on it. But a child that young no way. I work on the assumption that most people understand age appropriate responses.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I have never had my kids sign our Christmas cards . I just sign with our family name "The XXXXX family".
When they get bigger they don't have time. We just do ______ family on the few actual card we mail.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
When you send out Christmas cards and the like, and your pre-school age kid either refuses to write or doesn't know how to write his/her name, do you write it for them in your best kid-like handwriting?

I've received cards from other parents where the parents are pretending the kids can write, but the fake handwriting is poorly disguised. Wondering if this is common.

I would never fake anything to make my kid look better than he/she is.
My 23 month old's favorite letter is W.
He loves W so much that when he sees an M, he turns his head upside down/sideways and then yells, "W!"
There is no W in his name.
But I let him make a W.

Then I hold his hand and we write out his real name (which he recognizes but comes nowhere near able to write).

As for gifts, for my dad's birthday I told him to make a picture (scribbles) and decorate it with stickers. He picked out the stickers and placed them himself.
We framed it for my dad. W was prominently featured.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My 23 month old's favorite letter is W.
He loves W so much that when he sees an M, he turns his head upside down/sideways and then yells, "W!"
There is no W in his name.
But I let him make a W.

Then I hold his hand and we write out his real name (which he recognizes but comes nowhere near able to write).

As for gifts, for my dad's birthday I told him to make a picture (scribbles) and decorate it with stickers. He picked out the stickers and placed them himself.
We framed it for my dad. W was prominently featured.
That reminded me of when my daughter was quite young. For some reason she was entranced with writing "MOM" and "DAD" (her first written words--I think even before she attempted her own name).

The funny part is that she spelled "DAD" like this "BOB" and she was constantly writing MOM and BOB over every paper that she would find, at school, on cards, at friend's houses, at her grandparents' houses, etc.

On numerous occasions people would very hesitantly ask me "Who is this BOB fellow?" as my husband's name is definitely not Bob. To this day, I still think that some people wonder if there was a mysterious man named Bob in the life of my daughter and me at that time.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
This is beyond weird. I've never heard of such a thing. I've never even heard of anyone expecting a preschooler to send out a card on his/her own. Christmas cards are from the family and either myself or DH signs them. The kids are included as part of " family"

If a two,three, four year old gets a gift who in their right mind expects a thank you card signed by the kid ? An in person thank you or a phone call from the child is fine. Maybe mom sends a written thank with her own signature on it. But a child that young no way. I work on the assumption that most people understand age appropriate responses.
We worked up to thank you notes written by the child. At first, I wrote and signed. When they could write their names, I wrote the thank you, and they wrote their names. When they got a little older, they started writing the whole note. I would think it was really strange to get a card "signed" by a 2 year old!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
We worked up to thank you notes written by the child. At first, I wrote and signed. When they could write their names, I wrote the thank you, and they wrote their names. When they got a little older, they started writing the whole note. I would think it was really strange to get a card "signed" by a 2 year old!
Depends on the 2 year old.

When they are kids, we all know the parents are prompting the gesture anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting