Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your favorite names out of this list?
Charlotte 59 48.36%
Kennedy 9 7.38%
Lindsay (or Lindsey) 21 17.21%
Evelyn 28 22.95%
Mary 26 21.31%
Savannah 24 19.67%
Lily 47 38.52%
Isaac 31 25.41%
Calvin 15 12.30%
Irvin 2 1.64%
William 63 51.64%
Ivan 9 7.38%
Wesley 30 24.59%
Lawrence 20 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:32 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,846,062 times

Advertisements

Of those, I actually like Mary-Jane the best. I love traditional, old fashioned names as opposed to the trendy/modern stuff.

Congratulations on your upcoming little girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,841 times
I love Maia. So pretty!!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,615,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
So, back to square 1 with the names....we just found out (though we werent going to lol) that it is 100% a GIRL....so our Isaac William we had finally decided on will obviously not fit and for some reason I just do not love any of the girls names Im now at

Kaelyn
Maia (my-ah) (love the Roman goddess of springtime association since she will, in fact, be born in Spring)
Gemma
Jayme
Savannah
Mary-Jane (since Mary is kinda boring by itself, but worried if the pot reference would always be around)

Any negative nicknames, bullying reasons or terrible things come to mind with any of these names? As always, I appreciate all comments!!
Kaelyn is too trendy and people will always spell it wrong. Same with Jayme (why not Jaime?).
Maia is really pretty. People will spell it "Maya" but that's not terrible.
Savannah is okay. I personally have bad associations with it but with an unbiased view, I think it's nice.
Mary-Jane will always have the pot reference, I think.
And I kind of like Gemma. It seems a little old-fashioned but not too much so, like a name like Nancy would be.

I personally like Maia and Gemma the best. I do focus on misspellings because my name is constantly misspelled and mispronounced. It's really annoying and I wouldn't want my own kids to have to deal with that.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,429,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Of those, I actually like Mary-Jane the best. I love traditional, old fashioned names as opposed to the trendy/modern stuff.

I agree!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,839,592 times
Yeah, I don't know how you're going to get away from the pot reference when Mary Jane is basically a different name one can use for marijuana. It definitely going to reflect on you, not the child (that'll happen when she's a bit older, there'll be some ribbing).

I'd vote for Gemma out of all the names.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:07 PM

626 posts, read 1,345,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

Thankyou for the congrats! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Kaelyn is too trendy and people will always spell it wrong. Same with Jayme (why not Jaime?).
Maia is really pretty. People will spell it "Maya" but that's not terrible.
Savannah is okay. I personally have bad associations with it but with an unbiased view, I think it's nice.
Mary-Jane will always have the pot reference, I think.
And I kind of like Gemma. It seems a little old-fashioned but not too much so, like a name like Nancy would be.

I personally like Maia and Gemma the best. I do focus on misspellings because my name is constantly misspelled and mispronounced. It's really annoying and I wouldn't want my own kids to have to deal with that.
I completely understand about the misspelling as Ive had to deal with that as well...I felt Jaime was more masculine than Jayme and I dont want to doom her to a masculine name or an overly princessy name , ya know?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yeah, I don't know how you're going to get away from the pot reference when Mary Jane is basically a different name one can use for marijuana. It definitely going to reflect on you, not the child (that'll happen when she's a bit older, there'll be some ribbing).

I'd vote for Gemma out of all the names.
Mary-Jane is actually both of our grandmother's names put together, which we were trying to honor...but Im definitely concerned with if that is what is going to come to everyone's mind when they see or say her name. Is that even a common reference anymore or is it more of a dated one? I know the new one is Molly for Ecstasy....but I was kind of hoping MJ had faded..... I guess I could always pass the blame off on dread-head dad, since hes Jamaican

Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
Quote:
So, back to square 1 with the names....we just found out (though we werent going to lol) that it is 100% a GIRL....so our Isaac William we had finally decided on will obviously not fit and for some reason I just do not love any of the girls names Im now at

Kaelyn
Maia (my-ah) (love the Roman goddess of springtime association since she will, in fact, be born in Spring)
Gemma
Jayme
Savannah
Mary-Jane (since Mary is kinda boring by itself, but worried if the pot reference would always be around)

Any negative nicknames, bullying reasons or terrible things come to mind with any of these names? As always, I appreciate all comments!!
Mary-Jane is a synonym for marijuana. It will have that meaning for eternity.

Savannah still reminds me of parents who name their children after cities and countries.

Gemma reminds me of the Sons of Anarchy biker b*tch.

Jayme is nice, but it's not very grown up for adulthood. It's not the traditional spelling. I thought you were trying to avoid that stuff.

Kaelyn is overdone. It's a made-up name. Not authentic or classic.

Maia will be mispronounced and misspelled, but it's pretty.

What happened to Lily and Elizabeth?

Last edited by Hopes; 12-02-2013 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 01:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
Quote:
Mary-Jane is actually both of our grandmother's names put together, which we were trying to honor...but Im definitely concerned with if that is what is going to come to everyone's mind when they see or say her name. Is that even a common reference anymore or is it more of a dated one? I know the new one is Molly for Ecstasy....but I was kind of hoping MJ had faded..... I guess I could always pass the blame off on dread-head dad, since hes Jamaican
It's absolutely a common reference today. I learned the meaning from MY KIDS! It will always have that meaning. You're not going to have a chance to pass the blame on anyone. People will form their opinions about you without even telling you. The dread head Jamaican dad will solidify their belief that you took a love for pot to a new level of tacky. They'll think, "Oh, that poor child." And trust me, your daughter's friends will know what it means when she is a teenager.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,227,317 times
I like Maia and Gemma best out of those.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:47 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,839,592 times
Quote:
Oh, god no... that makes it even worse. Unless you're the kind that just don't care about what others think? What if your daughter turns out to be the straight-laced type? Mary Jane as a pot reference definitely isn't going away anytime soon.

Weirdly enough... My DD2's nickname is Ziggy Jane and that's what everybody affectionately calls her. My mother's husband (very business, type A personality) blew a fuse and said that we were terrible, low-grade type of people to even be willing to associate a child with marijuana. We were like huh? Not getting the MJ reference at all. Apparently people would say, "Hey roll me a ziggy" back during his days. Yea... I never heard that particular reference at all before. While it hasn't change our attitude about the nickname, it does put some things in perceptive-- At least, DD can eventually go by her real name and not have that kind of association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting