Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,134 times

Advertisements

but does here have a recommendation for a shooping cart harness? Not one of those cushy padded things for babies, but something to keep them seated in the cart.... along the lines of these?

Shopping Cart Safety Harness and Infant Carrier by ClearlyCustom

Jackaboo BabySit Safety Harness

Wrap Strap Shopping Cart Safety Strap - One Step Ahead Baby

My daughter almost took a bad tumble (caught her just in time) when the cart strap buckle just broke (it seemed of when I strapped her in).

Lately, she wants to twist around or stand up in her seat. I've tried keeping her busy (I always bring a toy or book for her) and also keeping her close (I don't walk away from the cart if I can help it).

Looking for serious recommendations... not comments on what a lazy , in-need of an upper body work-out, cruel for leashing my child to a shop ping cart parent I am. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
I've never seen those, but I like them! Does she wriggle out of the basket seatbelt? Mine used to do that . The ones you listed look like they could the trick!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
but does here have a recommendation for a shooping cart harness? Not one of those cushy padded things for babies, but something to keep them seated in the cart.... along the lines of these?

Shopping Cart Safety Harness and Infant Carrier by ClearlyCustom

Jackaboo BabySit Safety Harness

Wrap Strap Shopping Cart Safety Strap - One Step Ahead Baby

My daughter almost took a bad tumble (caught her just in time) when the cart strap buckle just broke (it seemed of when I strapped her in).

Lately, she wants to twist around or stand up in her seat. I've tried keeping her busy (I always bring a toy or book for her) and also keeping her close (I don't walk away from the cart if I can help it).

Looking for serious recommendations... not comments on what a lazy , in-need of an upper body work-out, cruel for leashing my child to a shop ping cart parent I am. Thanks!
My tip is to stop in Produce first and pick up a watermelon. Set that in her lap and she won't be going anywhere. j/k
Seriously though, all of those look good. I don't know anyone who used one, so I can't tell you which one is better. My thought on it though is to see which is easiest to use. Some contraptions for kids are so complicated that they aren't worth it. It's like the people who make them forget that you would have a kid with you when you try to use it. If all of the harnesses are equal in most ways, go for the one that you can just slap in the cart easily.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I don't think that last one would keep anyone in if they wanted to get out.

If you have a wiggly, sneaky toddler, then you need a harness that clips in the back. That first link looks really good.

My mom used a shopping cart harness for my youngest sister...she bought it after my sister stood up and fell out of the cart and ended up with a huge lump on her head. It was the same harness that she used with a leash, but it had a couple of little clips to attach it to the bars of the shopping cart. My sister could get out of a carseat in seconds, but she never managed to escape the shopping cart harness.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
I never used one, and actually have never seen them, but they look like they would work well. I think the first two you posted look pretty good. I usually just wore my baby in a mei tai while shopping, so I don't really have experience.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,988 times
I would consider it. They look pretty cool especially the first two ones. Many of the straps I have seen at my local HEB and Walmart have seen better days and sometimes I have to change carts a few times to find one that actually works.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I've never seen those, but I like them! From my quick look, I think I like the second one.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I would consider it. They look pretty cool especially the first two ones. Many of the straps I have seen at my local HEB and Walmart have seen better days and sometimes I have to change carts a few times to find one that actually works.
Yes! I've been shocked at how many carts have broken or missing belts. or if the belt is there the buckle refuses to budge so i can't tighten her in at all...

I was at BabiesRUs yesterday looking for one of these (they didn't have anything like what I wanted) and the employees pointed out their stores missing, broken belts on their carts. Recently, they had called their HQ's to ask for more shopping carts - and the ones that they got didn't even have a basket are for kids, they are just one big open basket. Which of course, parent put their kids in..... So the store makes announcements over the intercom whenever they see someone doing that (rather than confront the shopper) reminding the shoppers that children are not to be riding in the "blue shopping carts" (the normal ones are purple) ... of course people ignore the announcement and the employees told me several have fallen out....

I'm working on training BabyGirl that she has to stay seated but it's hard - she's only 18mo and when something catches her eye, she's wiggling all over the place. She also tires to stand up in the seat all the time.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
I've never personally used one, but my advice would be to simply give in and let her out. As counter-intuitive and not-always-possible as that is, once they reach the age where they want out, they tend to be pretty determined to do it. Think about it from their perspective, strapped into a seat in the car, strapped into a stroller or shopping cart, strapped back into the car, etc.

Once ours really started to put up a fight about it, we just started letting them walk with supervision. This did tend to require both of us to be with them while shopping, but it doesn't take long for them to get the idea of staying with you, holding hands or the cart, etc. Also at that age, they do tire out from walking after a little bit and may even want to get back in the cart.

So, as much of a pain in the rear as it would be for a couple months, I would try giving her small doses of being out of the cart when you have extra help while shopping and start acclimating her to walking around. Sometimes we found walking a lap of the store together first and then getting in the cart worked out great.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Goat had some great advice about letting her out to walk but that's not always feasible. For those quick assaults on Food Giant I'd have bought #2 in camo for my boys. Little shopping warrior dudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting