Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 AM

59 posts, read 76,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
What would the reasoning here be of mistrust, doubt, or suspicion that this child isn't yours?
I'm sure you don't spend 24 hours a day with your partner. It only takes one time to get pregnant by other man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
If you have not built a relationship where you trust that your partner is faithful, why would you be having unprotected sex with her in the first place?
I'm sure in that situation even the most naive people would require a paternity test.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkY91 View Post
One thing that has always amazed me is how men can simply believe their children are truly theirs. Not so much these days when there are paternity tests available, but especially in the past.

For example, my brothers and I are the splitting image of our father but that could not be the case. Even that doesn't prove anything.

How can they sign the birth certificate without knowing for sure that child has the same blood in their veins?
Um...because they love and trust their wive?

My son was the exact image of his dad as a baby...and there was no reason on earth for him to think otherwise.
Sheesh. Clearly you have issues. Don't have kids until you get them resolved.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Um...because they love and trust their wive?

My son was the exact image of his dad as a baby...and there was no reason on earth for him to think otherwise.
Sheesh. Clearly you have issues. Don't have kids until you get them resolved.
I don't think wanting to know if you're raising the right child is having issues. I just asked this because I know a couple who recently separated because the father asked for a paternity test after their son was born. The fact that she got upset and wanted a separation is probably a good indication the kid isn't his.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Your hypothetical wife can prove your child is yours, but you can't prove you didn't sire any children with other women. Should she trust you anyway?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:04 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
I don't think wanting to know if you're raising the right child is having issues. I just asked this because I know a couple who recently separated because the father asked for a paternity test after their son was born. The fact that she got upset and wanted a separation is probably a good indication the kid isn't his.
Sure it is. It probably had nothing to do with the fact that he basically condemned his wife as an unfaithful *****.

Also, I urge you to go ahead and ask your Dad how he really knows you are his son. See how it goes over with him and your mom.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:04 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
The risk is small - about 1% to 4% overall. The lower your economic status and educational level (where you live also influences this), the higher the risk, up to as much as 20%, based on the limited information available. If you have any reason to mistrust, or there are problems in the relationship, do a paternity test.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:

Some women cannot handle the idea that they are in a loving relationship where their SO has not trust for them, to the point of asking for a paternity test right after a child is born.

There are plenty of stories out there where a father raised a kid for years only to find out later that the kid was not his, but it is still rare. If you have serious doubts, it is not hard to get your child's DNA and send it in for an analysis, but personally if the kids I love and have been raising since they were born are not really mine, then I do not want to know at this point.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Sorry but anyone that is worried about "raising a child that isn't his", and he isn't even in a relationship to begin with, definitely is having issues. You don't need to worry about someone else's problem. Worry about your own.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Quote:
I'm sure you don't spend 24 hours a day with your partner. It only takes one time to get pregnant by other man.

I'm sure in that situation even the most naive people would require a paternity test.
No offense, but I hope your not thinking of having a relationship with someone anytime soon. This kind of thread has red flags written all over it. If you really cannot believe you can trust someone to be faithful, you will likely start to become controlling in a relationship, leading to manipulation, emotional abuse, smothering, etc etc.

In theory, you are right. A woman who cheated could become pregnant by another man... and it has and does happen on occasion. However, it is nothing which you should let cause you distress or worry in a relationship if you have a healthy, trusting, and growing relationship with a woman. Also keep in mind, that the development of such a relationship doesn't just happen either, but it is grown and earned through the long term development of the relationship and analysis of your partner's actions.

I do not need to be with my wife 24 hours a day. I am fully confident and comfortable in her commitment to our marriage. She is a faithful and loving partner.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Your hypothetical wife can prove your child is yours, but you can't prove you didn't sire any children with other women. Should she trust you anyway?
Well, that's biology. If she were to tell me a specific child that she thinks it's mine, I would have no problem doing a paternity test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Also, I urge you to go ahead and ask your Dad how he really knows you are his son. See how it goes over with him and your mom.
I might ask him this weekend if I meet up with him. I'm curious to know what he will say, especially because it doesn't make a lot of difference to him now anyway (we are all adults).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting