Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkY91 View Post
Because it's something that could have crossed his mind in a time where you had no way to know for sure if a kid is yours (well, I guess by the time I was born DNA tests were already available but not when my brothers were born).

Besides, like I said, he also had a son out of wedlock that he assumed as his in a time when DNA testing was probably nothing more than a futuristic idea.
I simply don't understand this line of thinking. Just because your father wasn't a good husband - that doesn't mean that every person is untrustworthy.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Because im trustworthy and my actions are always congruent with my beliefs. Its called, consistency of character.
And yet - you will never trust a woman? So - you expect her to trust you - even though you have exhibited past behavior that is untrustworthy (flirting shamelessly with other women right in front of her) - and you will never trust her? By your own definition - your consistency of character should show that you are actually untrustworthy - and yet you believe yourself to be trustworthy while she is not.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 AM

59 posts, read 76,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I simply don't understand this line of thinking. Just because your father wasn't a good husband - that doesn't mean that every person is untrustworthy.
He wasn't a good husband only after a certain point. I'll speak with him and see what he says.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
He wasn't a good husband only after a certain point. I'll speak with him and see what he says.
I still don't get it. Then again, I don't really understand why people who have not ever had a relationship obsess over things like this in the first place.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I still don't get it.
It's okay, I understand your position. No woman wants to be questioned...if it's the other way around it's certainly a different story.

Quote:
Then again, I don't really understand why people who have not ever had a relationship obsess over things like this in the first place.
Why does it matter? I'm just curious about how I would react in such situation.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
And yet - you will never trust a woman? So - you expect her to trust you - even though you have exhibited past behavior that is untrustworthy (flirting shamelessly with other women right in front of her) - and you will never trust her? By your own definition - your consistency of character should show that you are actually untrustworthy - and yet you believe yourself to be trustworthy while she is not.
Its a conumdrum.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 AM

586 posts, read 830,996 times
Quote:
Because im trustworthy and my actions are always congruent with my beliefs. Its called, consistency of character.
If you consider yourself trustworthy then I assume people are able to believe you and place trust in you. You also say that you do not feel that you can do that with others as you cannot believe what they say, that they're untrustworthy. You believe that you are what others cannot be.

Isn't that almost a case of cognitive dissonance?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,611 times
Quote:
You guess wrong my friend. Say hi to your mom!
She's dead. So that's what you're into?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
It's okay, I understand your position. No woman wants to be questioned...if it's the other way around it's certainly a different story.

Why does it matter? I'm just curious about how I would react in such situation.
No - THIS is what I don't get. Your father was the untrustworthy one - yet you seem to have this distrust and distaste for women. That's what doesn't make sense to me. If I were in your shoes - I would be more inclined to ask your mother how she was able to trust your father - not the other way around.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
No - THIS is what I don't get. Your father was the untrustworthy one - yet you seem to have this distrust and distaste for women. That's what doesn't make sense to me. If I were in your shoes - I would be more inclined to ask your mother how she was able to trust your father - not the other way around.
He was untrustworthy but at a later stage. I'm not questioning my mother, I'm pretty sure we are his sons. I'm speaking about men in general. You bet that goes through the head of a lot of men but they surely won't tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting