Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

I make sure my son is dressed for the weather. I honestly thought most parents did. But you learn something new everyday I guess.
I bet the school would call CPS if Child comes to school in at shirt with temperatures in the 30s and below.

And what's up with calling other parents kids stupid?

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 12-03-2013 at 11:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 01:45 AM

351 posts, read 693,446 times
I've given up the battle. DH has not, however. One boy loves his winter jacket and wearing the long sleeves and long pants. My other son hates it. He only likes short sleeves and shorts. He'll sometimes wear his sweatshirt jacket to make us happy, but he'd rather go outside wearing shorts and a T. I've decided it's not the battle I care to fight. If he's cold, he'll tell me or put on more appropriate clothes. In fact, he already has and he'll go put on pants and a long sleeved shirt....or at least put on his jacket. My DH will fight him on it and tell him he needs to put on the warmer clothes. It's a losing battle for DH. Yes, my son will put on his clothes, but it means we all have to listen to him whining about it for a very long time afterwards.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
IIRC, your child is about 3 yrs old. Moms of older kids constantly say "Never say never", as in "MY kid would NEVER. . . ". We've all learned better.
Although I agree with "never say never" I'd have to have a pretty low opinion of my child's intelligence if I was to seriously consider the possibility that she wouldn't be able to figure out that a jacket will keep her warm in the winter. And even if she couldn't make that very simple connection I'm sure she'd soon realise the downside of not being allowed to play outside at breaktime at school if she isn't wearing winter clothes.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:41 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
It is always somewhat entertaining to see how many children actually run their households instead of their parents running the household.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is always somewhat entertaining to see how many children actually run their households instead of their parents running the household.
Run the household"?! I simply cannot fathom the impact to the "household" if my kid wants to be dumb and freeze his fanny off.

But the REAL upshot is that when you don't engage and engender these battles, they don't happen. And kids cheerfully put their coats on because it is cold out there. Not because Mom MADE them.

Last edited by Jaded; 12-05-2013 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: language

Old 12-04-2013, 05:07 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Children running the household? Really? All because Mom says to her 11-year-old, "The weather will be quite chilly today. Might think about wearing pants," and when hot-blooded child bristles, she responds, "Not one word of complaint, kiddo, because you've been warned."

It's like some of you have never met an adolescent boy!

Look, if you've got a three-year-old who wants to wear her bathing suit in 37 degree weather, you should absolutely take a stand, but by the time the kids are Tweens, the Scout leader in me says let 'em suffer.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
I've given up the battle. DH has not, however. One boy loves his winter jacket and wearing the long sleeves and long pants. My other son hates it. He only likes short sleeves and shorts. He'll sometimes wear his sweatshirt jacket to make us happy, but he'd rather go outside wearing shorts and a T. I've decided it's not the battle I care to fight. If he's cold, he'll tell me or put on more appropriate clothes. In fact, he already has and he'll go put on pants and a long sleeved shirt....or at least put on his jacket. My DH will fight him on it and tell him he needs to put on the warmer clothes. It's a losing battle for DH. Yes, my son will put on his clothes, but it means we all have to listen to him whining about it for a very long time afterwards.
How old is he? Teenager or younger?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Although I agree with "never say never" I'd have to have a pretty low opinion of my child's intelligence if I was to seriously consider the possibility that she wouldn't be able to figure out that a jacket will keep her warm in the winter. And even if she couldn't make that very simple connection I'm sure she'd soon realise the downside of not being allowed to play outside at breaktime at school if she isn't wearing winter clothes.
You do not know how 8 year olds think. All I can say is wait five years. The kid in the story was playing outside, I remind you.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
You do not know how 8 year olds think. All I can say is wait five years. The kid in the story was playing outside, I remind you.
Well I was an 8 year old once, I vaguely remember how I thought back then... And I'm not saying that my kid will wear a jacket even if its cold, just that she ought to know by then that she would be warmer if she wore it. Sometimes kids don't care about being warmer.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
I am just struggling to understand how a 13 year old (8+5) who cannot manage their own clothing can be expected to do ANYTHING.

Oh wait. I get it. They aren't. Then their parents are on here asking how do I get my x year old to y, z, p, d, q. You can't. That ship sailed when you did not let them exert themselves when they were small as you continue to try to "get" them to do the things that they can and should be doing for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting