Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:39 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
So our 12 yr old came bounding in like a hyper little puppy yesterday. He was all excited about next year's DC trip.

I guess this is a really typical thing? Can anyone share their stories?

Besides the school-sponsored fundraisers, I really want him to feel like he earned the money. Any suggestions on that front?

Has anybody done the chaperone thing? I'm 60% sure I don't want to do it. But I'd be open to hearing about your experiences.
I visited DC when I was 15. The thing I enjoyed the most was the Air and Space Museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What are you talking about? I'm from your area, and I went to DC with my 8th grade class. My children did too.
I didn't.
Husband didn't.
Kids didn't.

(3 counties, no trips)

Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
Great trip for the kids, but I personally will not chaperone an overnight trip again unless it was the only way my child could go.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I didn't.
Husband didn't.
Kids didn't.

(3 counties, no trips)
Winchester Thurston Winchester Thurston School: WT On the Road

Shadyside Shady Side Academy: Parents

Shaler http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...56643336,d.dmg

Steel Valley (Your husband is from Munhall, right?) South - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hempfield (Isn't this in your county?)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...y2BwYdzp0m9W3A

Latrobe http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...DH1oldhRcGlwqg

Ligonier http://www.valleyschoolofligonier.org/page.cfm?p=359

Northgate Northgate School District :: Pittsburgh, PA

Pleasant Hills International Family Night to benefit Pleasant Hills Middle School trip | TribLIVE

Deer Lakes BoardDocs® Agenda Item: 0.01 Proposed Field Trip - Washington D.C. - Interested Sophomores

North Hills North Hills School District

Woodland Hills Woodland Hills School District

Quaker Valley Quaker Valley School District: Quaker Valley Middle School

I could go on and on.

Last edited by Hopes; 11-14-2013 at 07:20 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 07:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I'd say typical...I don't know of a school around us that doesn't do this. We opted not to send our kids on that trip because for what we could send one child our family of 5 went for a week (vs the 5 days they would have with their class) and we saw way more than their classmates did. We saved the class trips for high school .

Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
My son went on a DC trip in 5th grade. I don't remember what it cost but he had a blast. I did not chaperone as it was a chance for my son to develop some independence.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
What a fantastic opportunity.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,734 times
My son went on a Washington DC trip with his school in 6th grade (from Tampa). He had an amazing time and talks about it all the time. It was through the World Strides program...not sure if thats the one your school is using, but they really set it up for a wonderful experience and if you have a excited teacher leading the group its just even more of a plus. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone that has the opportunity.

Personally, I stepped back with the chaperoning offer because I felt it was his time to really be away on his own with his peers in a completely different environment. I didnt want him to feel like I was hovering or that he always had to spend time with me since I was there...I just wanted him to have a blast and thats exactly what he had.

As for the fundraising, I had him do extra chores around the house and he went to some of the neighbors and offered to help them out for tips (weeding, walking their dogs, he even sold some pies that he baked (loves to cook)). He made about $100 and I felt that was good enough for him to feel like he contributed to his trip, he also asked for "donations" from out of state family after writing letters explaining the trip and why he wanted to go.

I hope your child has fun!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
I was able to chaperone a day trip to DC decades ago. As the only male I was asked to watch over a group that included the problem child of the class.

The kids had sheets they needed to fill out as a group. The questions ensured they ended up seeing the museum from 1 end to the other. We didn't even get all of it filled out as some of the questions were very specific and all were fill in the blanks. I tried my best to get the kids into the areas that most likely would help them find the answers.

After a while they wanted to go to the giftshop. I pushed them to continue to find the answers as I felt we were way behind in the assignment. Time was up and we didn't complete the task. My group never got on to the giftshop. Back on the bus most of the kids had some crappy souvenirs from the giftshop. I asked some of the other parents how the managed to get those papers filled out. They told me they didn't do the paper and just let the kids roam around. So for a few days my son was the kid with the mean dad.

Good times for sure.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
This was offered at my California middle school as a trip over spring break in 8th grade if your parents were willing to pay for it. I didn't go, but now as a resident of Northern Virginia, I see the hoards of middle schoolers come through! (Guarantee you your kid will have lunch or dinner in the food court at Pentagon City Mall one day on the trip!) It's a great age for the city. Most kids study american history or government in 8th grade, so it's extremely timely for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting