Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So how come it's so hard on parents when the empty nest hits them?

The saddest time is when you actually get to be like those childless people. Suddenly the house looks so empty and you wish it could always be like it was when the kids were little.
Actually, many of us disagree with that. Sure, it's a big change at first. But after a short time, it's the new normal. One day, at the office, a mom was walking, almost dragging a crying child back to the exam room. One of my co-workers, who has high school age kids said, "I don't miss that stuff". Several of us agreed. I'm happy to not have to plan my life around the school schedule, etc. Mind you, I loved, loved parenting when I did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 12:19 PM

384 posts, read 594,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I just am the type of mother who has to have something to nurture all the time, pets, kids, plants, other people
What are you going to do when your daughters grow up?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I may have grandchildren from my oldest kids by then. I can continue my volunteering at animal shelters, neonatal wards, or even with nursing home patients. There are always people or animals who need loving care. By then I may have gotten it out of my system.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:30 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
I'll stick with my dogs. They are a responsibilty but they grow up and you don't have to dress them or put up with much foolishness - unless you have bull terrier like I do.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:59 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, many of us disagree with that. Sure, it's a big change at first. But after a short time, it's the new normal. One day, at the office, a mom was walking, almost dragging a crying child back to the exam room. One of my co-workers, who has high school age kids said, "I don't miss that stuff". Several of us agreed. I'm happy to not have to plan my life around the school schedule, etc. Mind you, I loved, loved parenting when I did it.
I agree. My son is high school age, hopefully he'll be going off to college in a year. Don't get me wrong; I love my child, he is the light of my life, but right now I'm trying to decide how to turn his room into an office/bedroom once he leaves.
I don't have to plan around his schedule, I can finally start to date again after 17 years, travel a little more. While I'm a little sad that he's growing up and becoming more independent, I'm also excited about both of our futures - him going to college and beginning his adult life and me getting my social life back and trying new things.
I have a friend who is over 40 also and childless but wants to have kids. She keeps trying to convince ME that I still want to have kids. No ma'am. I'm good.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Hubby and I are trying, and we know it's not going to be a picnic for sure, but that video cracked me up

Old 11-16-2013, 07:01 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I absolutely loved being a Dad and raising my two Sons, but as you get older you don't have the same tolerance or energy. A guy at work is raising his Grand Daughter because his Son was unfit to do it, and I say God Bless him, at his age it must be much harder than when he was younger.

Don

Old 11-16-2013, 07:03 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
While I'm a little sad that he's growing up and becoming more independent, I'm also excited about both of our futures - him going to college and beginning his adult life and me getting my social life back and trying new things.
Mine is in grad school now, and when he comes home to visit, it's like having a friend over.

The fact that you feel the way you do means you did your job well preparing him to face the world on his own, and will survive fine once he's gone - with an occasional wistful pang!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting