Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 PM

687 posts, read 1,493,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It's the parents that buy the toys for their children..I can't see them refusing a girl the same toys as a boy if that's what she wants..It's up to the parents to teach their girls that they have the same opportunities in life as the boys.
And this goes both ways. My 2-year-old grandson loves playing kitchen, but my son-in-law refuses to let him have one because it's for "sissies." As he gets older, I'll let him cook at my house.

I was at a store a few days ago (trying to decide if I should get a play kitchen for my grandson) and a little boy came running over yelling, "Mommy, look how cool!" It was "Monster High" toys. His mother told him, "Don't look at those. You need to look at boy toys." It made me sad. She didn't even acknowledge his excitement over the toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Wow, that is pitiful. My son gravitates to trucks, helicopters, fire trucks, Legos. . . but he also still LOVES his play kitchen and he's 4 1/2. I think it's awesome. Maybe he'll be a chef or a chemist some day. And he also has his own American Girl bitty baby twin. When he plays house with his sister, he is the dad and the boy twin is his baby. What's wrong with that? He's practicing for real life. . .

Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 AM

550 posts, read 965,367 times
Our 5 year-old daughter loves Legos. When we show her the catalogue or take her to the Lego store, she typically gravitates towards the Lego Friends sets, which came out a couple of years, and are clearly marketed towards girls. Same concept (and complexity) of building stuff, just different themes. I don't see anything wrong with this.

We're also getting our daughter a GoldieBlox set for Christmas.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Wow, that is pitiful. My son gravitates to trucks, helicopters, fire trucks, Legos. . . but he also still LOVES his play kitchen and he's 4 1/2. I think it's awesome. Maybe he'll be a chef or a chemist some day. And he also has his own American Girl bitty baby twin. When he plays house with his sister, he is the dad and the boy twin is his baby. What's wrong with that? He's practicing for real life. . .
I agree 100%. He would probably love a babydoll, but his dad would have a fit. I make sure he has lots of stuffed animals to snuggle with. My son was raised to be polite and kind - and with two older sisters he had more than his share of dress-up and doll time. To the best of my knowledge he was never in a fight. He is respected by his peers and even as a teenager he was something of a moral compass to those around him. If that makes him a sissy, I'm fine with that.

I wish we could get away from girls being princesses and boys being brutes.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:34 AM

741 posts, read 1,287,970 times
My daughter has basically gender neutral stuff. Right now her favorite think to do is push matchbox cars around with her finger going VMMMMMMM! (under supervision of course as she's 17 months). A family member came to visit the other day and said "You shouldn't play with those, go get your stuffed doll" and took the car away from her. Of course my daughter screamed and clambered after the car in Aunty's hand. I was totally floored and shocked by this interaction. Had to have a little come to Jesus with Aunty. Kids know what they like, it's us who influence them into little boxes.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
I agree 100%. He would probably love a babydoll, but his dad would have a fit. I make sure he has lots of stuffed animals to snuggle with. My son was raised to be polite and kind - and with two older sisters he had more than his share of dress-up and doll time. To the best of my knowledge he was never in a fight. He is respected by his peers and even as a teenager he was something of a moral compass to those around him. If that makes him a sissy, I'm fine with that.

I wish we could get away from girls being princesses and boys being brutes.

Free To Be You and Me - William Wants A Doll - YouTube

Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
I actually shed a tear watching this video. I would buy the toy for no other reason than because they made the videos. They have others on the site, too.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That's awesome! Grandmas are so smart!

Old 11-22-2013, 04:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
That's awesome! Grandmas are so smart!
My son was born in 1971 and the book came out in 1972. Marlo Thomas recorded her song version in November of 1972 also. There is a sequel that came out in 1988 called Free to be a family.

Williams" Doll

Amazon.com: Free to Be...A Family: Music

Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
People try to ram the whole princess thing down my 4 yr olds throat, and she likes it to some extent, but she gravitates to mechanical things such as wheels, gears, clocks, how things work. When I am working on the house and using my air compressor she wants to know how it works, etc. If I am changing oil, she expresses an interest in these types of things. As a guy with no sons, I love that she expresses interest in these things because I can teach her about this stuff, I don't see anything she can learn from the "princesses" other than the goal in life is to meet a guy and get married...which is all well and good, but there is so much more to life than shallow princess ideals. I try hard to expand on her mechanical interests and buy toys that are in line with those interests. Grandparents and family just want to give her dolls, princess stuff, etc. My wife says she needs to fit in with the other girls in her school who like the same stuff. I think her interests make her interesting and different from the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting