Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,842 times

Advertisements

Every Monday night, we have "family home evening."
It's a time to teach our kids what we want to teach them, but we've gotten a little sneaky & have let them take turns teaching too (what better way to learn than to teach?).

They can pick the topic of the lesson and related story...
Some of which have been:

-Being a good friend
-Showing respect
-Getting along as a family/saying what we appreciate about each other
-Having fun learning
-Loving others
-Making good choices (esp. dealing with peer pressure)
-Helping the poor

We usually sing a song, then we play a game...
Hot potato, a board game, charades, etc.

I'll admit, sometimes I bribe my kids with a treat afterwards, but I think they like it overall, especially if it's not too long (maybe lesson 10 minutes max.) and I feel like they're learning something that might help them in their lives.

Anybody do anything like this?
If so, how has it helped your family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I think it is a lovely idea though and would like to institute something similar with my kids. I haven't yet though, unfortunately. Right now, our weeknights are filled up with homework, and on Friday nights we have Tae Kwon Do. We do go to TKD as a family though, so maybe that counts for something.

Last edited by Jaded; 11-15-2013 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Removed religious references

Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
We have Family Game Night. It's not on a schedule but we try to do it 2-3 times a month. The kids will ask for it if we forget for too long.

We also sometimes have Family Movie Night, all of us cuddled on the couch watching a movie together ...and their favorite part, POPCORN!

We don't have "lessons", but generally when you are doing anything with three kids you will have the opportunity to point out good and naughty behavior.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
My children loved structured family time. They'd come running downstairs the moment it was time without our even calling them. My husband and I would look each other with knowing eyes that it truly was very important to them. We had lots of quality time on a day to day basis, but they truly looked forward to these set times. We usually played games. Whatever we did, it was always fun. There were no lessons. I preferred to teach children about helping the poor via literally helping the poor, not just talking about it.

Last edited by Jaded; 11-15-2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: religious reference removed

Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Most nights were family nights when my kids were little, whether it involved activities, games, reading or a movie.
Discussions - not really lessons - were highly encouraged.

Like Hopes, we did not talk about helping the poor; we actually helped the poor.

Last edited by Jaded; 11-15-2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: ditto re; religion

Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
We don't have a specific night since my hubby's schedule varies week to week. We do sit down meals for breakfast and dinners every day. And on the weekends, lunch as well. We at least once a week, take the pup out to the parks here and hike or do an outing. But nothing specific since we spend so much time together playing games, watching tv, crafting projects, making holiday decorations, knitting/crocheting etc.

Honestly if I sat my kid down and said, "Alright, we are going to have a serious discussion about being a better friend." She nor I would be able to keep a straight face. lol Those types of conversation usually comes up if she recounts something that happened that day at school with a friend or we see something on TV that will spark a conversation that if she was in that situation, what to do etc.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:01 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Not really, they are too young (oldest is 3.5), every night is family night. But I do like these ideas for the future, thank you

Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
We have Family Fun Fridays where it's just a family day and we'll either go out or stay in. I like playing board games, especially if there's some educational value to it. If we play dominoes I let him skip math for the night

But I couldn't imagine singing together. That'd be awkward for us

Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
we used to play board games pretty regularly and in that endeavor they learned how to be good sports (or not!) but ass they got older we haven't done that much.
I try to find a learning opportunity in almost everything we do. I engage our academically challenged daughter in lots of cooking to hone her math and reading skills. She doesn't know that-she just thinks we are cooking together.
same thing with reading together or doing crafts together.

Gardening is science and worship and meditation in disguise!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Every Monday night, we have "family home evening."
It's a time to teach our kids what we want to teach them, but we've gotten a little sneaky & have let them take turns teaching too (what better way to learn than to teach?).

They can pick the topic of the lesson and related story...
Some of which have been:

-Being a good friend
-Showing respect
-Getting along as a family/saying what we appreciate about each other
-Having fun learning
-Loving others
-Making good choices (esp. dealing with peer pressure)
-Helping the poor

We usually sing a song, then we play a game...
Hot potato, a board game, charades, etc.

I'll admit, sometimes I bribe my kids with a treat afterwards, but I think they like it overall, especially if it's not too long (maybe lesson 10 minutes max.) and I feel like they're learning something that might help them in their lives.

Anybody do anything like this?
If so, how has it helped your family?
Four kids, 14, 11, 10, and 6 with extremely busy schedules, cheer, swim, soccer, carpooling, tons of homework. Now way do we have a window to spend time like that. And when there is free time, they'd rather be goofing off with their friends.

However, when we do spend time together I encourage them to QUESTION EVERYTHING, the government, their teachers, and anyone in authority (including their parents).

Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 11-15-2013 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Flaming and Off-topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting