Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I don't think you should make him pay at all. He's an inexperienced driver and you let him use your car. Your parking space is admittedly tight. It was an accident. Why make him feel worse about it? Also, don't you have insurance? If you don't have insurance on a car your kid drives, then that's totally your fault and you deserve to pay.
1) it's not about making him feel worse (which is why I specified I wouldn't punish him), it's about helping him to understand that part of growing up is taking responsibility for things, even when they are unintentional.

2) No one else was involved and the cost to repair the bumper outright, without claiming it on insurance, is most likely less than the potential increase to the policy for a 17 yr old male driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 05:05 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
You let a teen drive a relatively new car and are upset that it got dinged? Teens are still learning, and cars will get dinged. Do yourself a favor and have him get an old beat up car for a few more years.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM

442 posts, read 588,519 times
If you really need it fixed that bad, then you should pay for it.

Not your teenager

Old 11-23-2013, 05:18 PM

442 posts, read 588,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
1) it's not about making him feel worse (which is why I specified I wouldn't punish him), it's about helping him to understand that part of growing up is taking responsibility for things, even when they are unintentional.
Sorry that happened. But...You are worried he won't know how to take responsibility? You need take responsibility for loaning your car to your teenage son, and the risks that come with it. I can't imagine you'd even consider making him pay. It's not wise to give a nice car to a teenager, especially if you know you're so into looks a ding will upset you.
I've done really stupid things, far far beyond your circumstance. so please don't think I'm judging you. You should bear the burden for your lack of judgement. again, sorry that happened but it's not unexpected considering his age.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiawomann5 View Post
You are worried he won't know how to take responsibility? You need take responsibility for loaning your car to your teenage son, and the risks that come with it. I can't imagine you'd even consider making him pay for your lack of judgement. It's not wise to give a nice car to a teenager, especially if you know you're so into looks a ding will upset you. Not wise. But I've done really stupid things, far far beyond your circumstance. so please don't think I'm judging you. Sorry that happened
I'm not the OP (sorry for the confusion). Not everyone has the space to keep or ability to provide a "beater" car for a teen to drive. It was just "one of those things". It happens - but as parents it is our responsibility both to be compassionate and understanding of accidents as well as easing them into the responsibility of adulthood. If I, as an adult, have an accident, I will be paying the deductible and any rate increase as a result of that. I think having the son help with that is a reasonable way to allow him ownership of what happened without being punitive.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Not sure I would punish him at all.

Maybe pay for it as he did it, but that is just taking responsibility.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofson View Post
My son has had his license for about 10 months and has never had any tickets, never been pulled over, and has never been in involved in any accidents....until today. He went to Target to buy me some stuff, and returned home. In between the two parking spaces my husband and I own is a stone pillar. Today the parking space adjacent to mine had a minivan in it, making it a tight squeeze for parking. Unfortunately, my son turned too late and hit the pole. The car is fine, but has a 3-inch-wide dent and some small strips of paint were scratched off. I'm afraid I might have to replace the whole bumper for almost a grand..... Should I give him a warning this time, and make him pay in full for the next accident (hopefully there will NOT be another accident in the forseeable future!!), or make him pay me the sum it costs for the bumper? Thanks!
This is why you should have good insurance with a low deductible on all cars your children drive. And no, he should only pay for damages if he showed gross negligence. He is a kid and he was running errands for you.

If you asked your sister to run errands for you in your car for whatever reason would you expect her to pay it? I should hope not. If you chose not to use insurance it does not mean anyone you lend your car to is responsible for the entire cost.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
With a young driver in the house it is likely to happen again. I wouldn't replace the bumper.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
With a young driver in the house it is likely to happen again. I wouldn't replace the bumper.
I wouldn't either. There is a difference between damage caused by negligence, and damage caused by inexperience. You son is in the latter category. Until he gains more, I would leave the car the way it is, and hope that's as bad as it gets.

Punishing him, or making him pay? Neither. Accidents happen.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
1)

2) No one else was involved and the cost to repair the bumper outright, without claiming it on insurance, is most likely less than the potential increase to the policy for a 17 yr old male driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
You let a teen drive a relatively new car and are upset that it got dinged? Teens are still learning, and cars will get dinged. Do yourself a favor and have him get an old beat up car for a few more years.
It was an accident while doing an errand for YOU. The increase on insurance might not make the claim worth it. It sounds like he is a responsible driver. I would definitely get him out of the newer car and into a beater. We bought my son an older full size pickup (tank).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting