Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 17,195 times

Advertisements

Today my daughter was in tears because one of her long time BFFs ostracized her. I'm having a hard time explaining to her that even long time friends can up and leave you at the drop of a hat. I'm tired of all this 9th grade drama about who left who, who slept with who, whose having a party and who isn't invited....ugh! How should I deal with all this silliness?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 PM

351 posts, read 693,328 times
I am not the person to go to about this because I was NOT the popular girl. I was the one in your girl's shoes. I grew a thicker skin (not too thick, I can still get hurt by nasty or rude comments) and learned that I am the only one I can count on. I had to learn that it's OK to accept someone's kindness, but to know, in the end, it's me who will always be there for my needs. Having the girlie cattiness in my school taught me a lot about myself. I am definitely not perfect, but I got by knowing that I don't need my friends if it came down to it. I loved my friends. Those that stuck by me, but I never allowed myself to fully count on them because of the way girls can change their moods so quickly. Girls thrive on reputation and fads. Those two things change, so with the girls that follow them. Your girls needs to learn what she likes for herself and not only stick to that, but to like it enough to follow that with or without her friends. They don't all have to like the same stuff to be friends. That's something girls at that age have trouble with. If she is the first to learn that, her friends will eventually follow that. Confidence rules. Girls are attracted to confident girls.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
It sounds like right now you have a daughter who is comfortable sharing the details of her days, why she's upset, why she's happy, etc. A kid who talks to you is a lot better than one who just says you wouldn't get it and won't tell you anything.

Tell her you're sorry that happened, tell her girls can be very mean sometimes, tell her whatever will comfort her...just don't tell her you don't care and you're tired of hearing about it.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:48 PM

12 posts, read 17,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It sounds like right now you have a daughter who is comfortable sharing the details of her days, why she's upset, why she's happy, etc. A kid who talks to you is a lot better than one who just says you wouldn't get it and won't tell you anything.

Tell her you're sorry that happened, tell her girls can be very mean sometimes, tell her whatever will comfort her...just don't tell her you don't care and you're tired of hearing about it.
I have not told her that, of course, I do care. However it is really tiring, to even me as a mom (poor hubby would probably get a headache listening to her rant.). Another one of my huge pet peeves is when my daughter has an all-out falling out with a friend, then gets back together the next day, then falls out again a few weeks later.....and the cycle continues on. and. on. And how ever since her good-natured boyfriend left her, she has been going after "bad boys" and the like...Another thring that grinds my gears...

Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Ooops....used wrong username...

ETA I see you caught/corrected

Old 11-24-2013, 08:40 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,704 times
Closed for Moderator Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.