Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,838,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I can't blame this teacher for sending a note, and it was probably better to send it to everyone than to single out the smelly few.
I don't understand this thinking. If there are 20 kids and 2 stink why would you send a note to all 20 kids and hope that the 2 who stink get the message? If 2 of them stink their parents should be made aware that their kids stink and need more attention. If a child has a problem their parents should made aware of the problem I do not approve of this passive aggressive method of avoiding confrontation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:11 PM

45,046 posts, read 60,086,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't understand this thinking. If there are 20 kids and 2 stink why would you send a note to all 20 kids and hope that the 2 who stink get the message? If 2 of them stink their parents should be made aware that their kids stink and need more attention. If a child has a problem their parents should made aware of the problem I do not approve of this passive aggressive method of avoiding confrontation.

You don't. That's what makes me think it was an almost entire class problem. This is the school:

PS 91 BUILD Academy

Old 12-01-2013, 03:42 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,365,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't blame the teacher at all for seeing the need for a communication to the parents, but I do think this is the kind of thing she should have worked through the principal. At least have the principal fully in the loop.
Fair enough. Teachers should probably always consider having their communications with parents edited... by someone who doesn't have to deal with the kids all day and is therefore capable and inclined to make ridiculous efforts to soften the blow

Old 12-01-2013, 04:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,018,492 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You don't. That's what makes me think it was an almost entire class problem. This is the school:

PS 91 BUILD Academy
Wow, it is the first time that I ever read about an elementary school bragging that they prepare their students with the basics to help them graduate from high school.

PS. Sorry, I was being sarcastic, and inappropriate .

The mission statements, at least around my immediate area, just assume that all of their students will be graduating from high school and if they put anything in the mission statement about school it clearly states preparing them for college.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-01-2013 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Added PS. I shouldn't have been sarcastic.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, it is the first time that I ever read about an elementary school bragging that they prepare their students with the basics to help them graduate from high school.
Putting something in a mission statement is not bragging.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,018,492 times
Quote:
Quote:
Putting something in a mission statement is not bragging.
Sorry, I was being sarcastic, and inappropriate .

The mission statements, at least around my immediate area, just assume that all of their students will be graduating from high school and if they put anything in the mission statement about school it clearly states preparing them for college.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I was being sarcastic, and inappropriate .

The mission statements, at least around my area, just assume that all of their students will be graduating from high school and if they put anything in the mission statement about school it clearly states preparing them for college.
If an organization has a mission statement it is supposed to state what the organization does. It is entirely appropriate for an elementary school to consider high school preparation as part of its mission statement. I think it is silly for an elementary school to consider preparing students for college as part of its mission.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,365,795 times
Quote:
If an organization has a mission statement it is supposed to state what the organization does. It is entirely appropriate for an elementary school to consider high school preparation as part of its mission statement. I think it is silly for an elementary school to consider preparing students for college as part of its mission.
For that matter, it's silly to even mention high school.

Here's a realistic mission statement: "Our aim is to babysit your smelly kids and possibly teach them the alphabet."

Old 12-01-2013, 07:52 PM

28,597 posts, read 18,629,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
For that matter, it's silly to even mention high school.

Here's a realistic mission statement: "Our aim is to babysit your smelly kids and possibly teach them the alphabet."
High school makes sense because theoretically the elementary, junior/middle, and high school curriculums are supposed to mesh.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:55 PM

37,478 posts, read 45,733,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think there could have been a better way to handle this situation even if some kids were stinky. sad situation.

A Pre-Kindergarten Teacher Is Facing Disciplinary Actions After Telling Parents Their Children*Smell Bad
I would give him a bath, pronto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting