Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

I tell him the curfew I have set and that he needs to make sure she's home at the time I said she needed to be home. I tell him to bring her back just the way she was when he picked her up. And I remind him that if they are in any kind of club or party that they need to be careful of drinks (even soft drinks), such as when they get up to dance or walk around. And if there are any problems of any kind such as car problems and it's late, call me, I'll help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:28 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No real rules. I expected him to be close in age, but really, you don't have much control over what teens do, you hope by that age that you raised them with some common sense.
Seriously??

If you are paying the bills and keeping their behinds alive, you have control. Exercise it. Perhaps then we wouldn't have so many teens walking around with an incurable STD and popping out babies before they reached adulthood.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Seriously??

If you are paying the bills and keeping their behinds alive, you have control. Exercise it. Perhaps then we wouldn't have so many teens walking around with an incurable STD and popping out babies before they reached adulthood.it
And it isn't just those. A young woman in a neighboring town was at a bonfire party with her boyfriend and for some reason he stayed at the party and she walked home by herself very early in the morning. Some guy in a car saw her and began to follow her, she made it to her mother's house which was locked and as she was trying to climb in through a window, this man grabbed her, dragged her into his car, raped and murdered her, threw her corpse out in the desert.

If the boyfriend had only brought her home himself, she could have made it.

Last edited by golfgal; 12-17-2013 at 04:29 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
I have a friend who says he will not allow any dating for his daughter when she gets to be a teenager...

Seems he is afraid the boys will be just like he was when he was a teenager!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macklemother View Post
What rules do you set forth for boys dating your teenage daughter?
What rules do you set forth for girls dating your teenage son?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I assume you mean what rules do you have for your daughters who date. Nobody can set rules for other people's children.
Yes you can. You can set rules for anyone you want. The question is, can you enforce rules for other people's children. Yes, by withholding your daughter from association with them if they don't follow the rules..

Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I have a friend who says he will not allow any dating for his daughter when she gets to be a teenager...

Seems he is afraid the boys will be just like he was when he was a teenager!
Maybe what he is really afraid of is that his daughter will be just like he was when he was a teenager.

Shocker but teen age girls are interested in sex too.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes you can. You can set rules for anyone you want. The question is, can you enforce rules for other people's children. Yes, by withholding your daughter from association with them if they don't follow the rules..
Parents should really be setting rules for their own children. If they do not like the behavior of their kids friends they are well within their rights as parents to keep them apart.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:18 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
My daughters aren't to the dating age yet, but when they are I will have one simple rule for their boyfriends:

Treat my daughters with the same amount of respect that I treat their mother and all will be well. Disrespect them and you won't date them again.
By the time your daughters are old enough to date, shouldn't they be able to speak for themselves on the issue of respect? If not, maybe you need to talk to them more about it.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I set rules for my kids and expect they would tell their friends/boyfriends etc what they are. Such as curfew, not breaking the law while out, etc. I would never presume to have rules for other children. I hold my own kids accountable if my rules for them are broken regardless who is at fault. My kids can make their own choice to stick with the "rule" breaking friends/boyfriends or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting