Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:15 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times

Advertisements

At 14 years old your daughter should know the truth. Her mother made some mistakes and needs to suffer the consequences. I would leave it up to your daughter about whether she wants to visit or not. If she does want to visit I would try to find out as much about the experience as you can and prepare her in advance for the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
If she wants to visit her mother, let her visit. Go the first time alone so you can prepare her for what to experience. I wouldn't take her weekly. No more than once a month since you said you wanted to ensure the whole family doesn't feel they all went to prison. Be prepared for her not wanting to go back after the first time.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:51 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,797,586 times
I have a friend whose father "went away" when he was little. His whole family told him his Dad "Went to college". It was only until when he was a teenager he found out where his Dad actually was

I agree, if she's 14 she ought to be able to make her own decisions.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,388 times
I would NOT lie to a 14 year old about where her mother is. 14 is old enough to be told the truth. I would absolutely take her to visit her mother. If she decides not to make a return visit that would be her choice.

Hope your wife has learned her lesson. Good luck.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:12 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
why the hell wouldnt you take her??

YOU need to take your daughter there....man up and be a father... her mothers in jail for christs sake,,
dont let her go alone,,,, YOU need to take her,,, You will be her security when visiting,,

YOU NEED TO TAKE HER THERE!!!!

Old 12-25-2013, 03:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
What is this scared straight? I heard of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
"Scared straight" just means to scare them by seeing what would happen if they choose a life of crime. If your daughter sees how being locked up is a horrible experience, she'll do all she can to be a good person. I think kids who drink and drive should have to visit the morgue.
Scared Straight is actually a program for troubled teens (and it is not a very good one, imo)

Beyond "Scared Straight"

Quote:
The original "Scared Straight" program, in which a group of adult prison inmates attempted to terrify a group of teen offenders into "going straight," was the focus of a television special in 1978. Since then, the authors of "'Scared Straight' and other juvenile awareness programs for preventing juvenile delinquency (Review)," a 2002 meta-analysis of relevant research on nine such programs, found that "not only does it fail to deter crime, but it actually leads to more offending behavior."

Old 12-25-2013, 06:04 PM

27 posts, read 33,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I would NOT lie to a 14 year old about where her mother is. 14 is old enough to be told the truth. I would absolutely take her to visit her mother. If she decides not to make a return visit that would be her choice.

Hope your wife has learned her lesson. Good luck.
I did not lie. I already told her. Though I have heard from some that say I should have made up a story and not told her

remember, it is simply due to the fact that it is a jail. Should my daughter be exposed to that? Potentially seeing other inmates there and also even guards who come off as intimidating? Both of them could still talk on the phone. Also, I think people missed that my wife has not gone yet. She will be going in to the facility soon. We have time to prepare and do things.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:15 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Keep in mind, if she been sentenced to 6 months, she will most likely be out in 2-3 month, with good behavior.

How far is the Jail from where you live? Local/County, State, Federal?

Phone call all are collect, and cost $1 or more per minute.

Visitation area are generally right next to the visitor entrance, and are talking cross plexeglass on phones. They won't let her in alone you would have to take her, Minor would not be permitted in to the visitation area alone, they may have minimum age also.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:27 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Since your wife's crime was not violent, is it possible that she might be sent to a "white collar" prison to do her time? Such places are considerably less "scary" than those which house violent or repeat criminals - one just outside my home town resembles a college campus.

Before taking your daughter to visit her mother, find out what to expect in advance, and let those in charge of arranging visits know that your daughter is 14 and will be visiting her mother for the first time in these surroundings. Let your daughter know as much as you can about her mother's new circumstances and environment ahead of time, to lessen the shock and potentially unpleasant surprises.

Good luck to you and your family, especially your daughter.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
...and let those in charge of arranging visits know that your daughter is 14 and will be visiting her mother for the first time in these surroundings.
I doubt they'll give a damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting