Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 PM

687 posts, read 1,493,628 times

Advertisements

One brother's wife was like this, but she outgrew it when the kids got dirty and it didn't destroy them. The other brother's wife was worse and never outgrew it. Her kids are all teens and she still speaks for them and keeps them by her side as much as possible.

Does your nephew have a favorite song? My 2 year old grandson LOVES Itsy Bitsy Spider. All I have to do is put my fingers together and he comes running. Somersaults are a big draw, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Look, as the older cousin to a bunch of much younger cousins, the first thing I learned was "It's not about you." As an older family member to a small human, my job is to be supportive and nurturing, not to demand expressions of affection from a child who isn't even sure what it all means.

You are taking this way too personally. If you want a place in this kid's life, you're going to have to earn it. You do that through patience and kindness. Kids his age are going to be reticent as often as not. They don't start getting really fun a lot of times until they're 3 or 4.

I remember when my youngest first cousin was about 18 months old. He was in his playpen in my grandmother's front room and I walked in the house without knocking. I'd been away at college for three months. The look of sheer terror on his face when I walked in let me know he didn't remember me at all. I introduced myself briefly and and pleasantly, and immediately went to get my grandmother so that he would know it was ok and I wasn't a stranger. He warmed up when she and I started talking and he wasn't the center of attention.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM

56 posts, read 76,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
One brother's wife was like this, but she outgrew it when the kids got dirty and it didn't destroy them. The other brother's wife was worse and never outgrew it. Her kids are all teens and she still speaks for them and keeps them by her side as much as possible.

Does your nephew have a favorite song? My 2 year old grandson LOVES Itsy Bitsy Spider. All I have to do is put my fingers together and he comes running. Somersaults are a big draw, too.
This is the way my sister will probably be.

She's even had friends tell her that she needs to quit making her child the center of her world.

and I don't know if he has a favorite song.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:19 AM

Is it normal for a two year old to be carried by his mother to the bathroom in their house? (she carries him to the bathroom so he will not have an accident).

He already knows how to walk.

She carries him everywhere, she never says no.

Last edited by iluvmua; 01-03-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmua View Post
Is it normal for a two year old to be carried by his mother to the bathroom in their house? (she carries him to the bathroom so he will not have an accident).

He already knows how to walk.

She carries him everywhere, she never says no.
Yes, it is normal.

With this attitude, you guys are lucky to see him four times a year. I mean that, genuinely, I would not care to be around people with such an attitude.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 AM

The only reason why we get to see him 4 times a year is because we live an hour and a half away and they are busy and so are we. They have a life and so do we.

It has nothing to do with attitude.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Look, as the older cousin to a bunch of much younger cousins, the first thing I learned was "It's not about you." As an older family member to a small human, my job is to be supportive and nurturing, not to demand expressions of affection from a child who isn't even sure what it all means.

You are taking this way too personally. If you want a place in this kid's life, you're going to have to earn it. You do that through patience and kindness. Kids his age are going to be reticent as often as not. They don't start getting really fun a lot of times until they're 3 or 4.

I remember when my youngest first cousin was about 18 months old. He was in his playpen in my grandmother's front room and I walked in the house without knocking. I'd been away at college for three months. The look of sheer terror on his face when I walked in let me know he didn't remember me at all. I introduced myself briefly and and pleasantly, and immediately went to get my grandmother so that he would know it was ok and I wasn't a stranger. He warmed up when she and I started talking and he wasn't the center of attention.
We don't demand anything at all, We don't yell or scream at him.

His mother does not encourage him to get to know us.

If she's in the kitchen for example, he makes a beeline to her and she does not tell him to go and sit or play with grandpa.
he usually has to sit in her lap at all times.

This is what I mean when I say she does not encourage him to get to know us.

Last edited by iluvmua; 01-03-2014 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 AM

I'll take a coloring book down there with crayons and started coloring at their kitchen table and hopefully that will get him interested.

We've brought him books before but that does not work.

Last edited by iluvmua; 01-03-2014 at 11:39 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 11:32 AM

426 posts, read 791,434 times
He is 2!!! And if he is shy, it will last much longer...perhaps all his life. All you should do is be the best Aunt you could be and talk to him gently and encourage play. His mother & father perhaps are the only people he trusts, just as it should be.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
He is 2!!! And if he is shy, it will last much longer...perhaps all his life. All you should do is be the best Aunt you could be and talk to him gently and encourage play. His mother & father perhaps are the only people he trusts, just as it should be.
Ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting