Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, we've gotten into a very bad habit of regularly eating dinner in front of the TV and not at the table. I would love if our family would sit at the table. My husband however sulks and pouts and it turns into a stressful time at the table.

Reading through most of the responses here, I probably need to assert myself a bit more and get us sitting down as a family together, regardless of my pouting husband who can't sit at the TV and watch his shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
My boys are grown and at college so it is normally just me and hubby, we both workout after work so we normally don't eat untill about 8pm so normally it is just tv trays for us.

Although on the weekends we eat at the table and of course when the boys come over.

When the boys where younger we always ate at the table and it was important to me because the youngest couldn't focus enough to eat his full plate and it was a time for me to bond with them.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Dinnertime is the time we catch up with each other. Sometimes a family member is off at practice or rehearsal or some scheduled event, but TV is always a no no. Like others above, the only substance allowed outside the dining room or kitchen is water!

I grew up staring at the TV during dinner. The TV was never off in fact. I thought it didn't affect me, but now with greater knowledge and experience I realize how much time we actually missed out on as a family.

And the TV is now switched on for specific shows only, not just constant background mental noise. Liberate yourself! The family might be churlish and resistant at first, like kids when you take away an iPad they've been playing on for half an hour, but....

Old 01-07-2014, 07:59 AM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
We never ate dinner watching tv. When the kids were young (up through elementary school) we ate together as a family. After that, activity schedules were all over the place (ds's club or high school swim practice & meets, dd's dance classes which were from 6-8 four times a week) and we ate when we could and when we were hungry, with the kids generally eating while doing homework.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
My husband and I enjoy our dinners together. We still eat at the table after the nest emptied. This time together is important to us.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34 View Post
Do you think it is important to have dinner at the dinner table all the time or is it ok to sit down in front of the TV and have your meal? What do you do?
Our TV is in a TV viewing pit in the basement. No one eats anywhere except at the kitchen or dining room table, and we ignore phones during the meal. We try to sit down to dinner together every day, often get breakfast together too. When the kids were younger, the TV was on a cart in the closet, only got wheeled out to watch a video occasionally.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Dinnertime is the time we catch up with each other. Sometimes a family member is off at practice or rehearsal or some scheduled event, but TV is always a no no. Like others above, the only substance allowed outside the dining room or kitchen is water!

I grew up staring at the TV during dinner. The TV was never off in fact. I thought it didn't affect me, but now with greater knowledge and experience I realize how much time we actually missed out on as a family.

And the TV is now switched on for specific shows only, not just constant background mental noise. Liberate yourself! The family might be churlish and resistant at first, like kids when you take away an iPad they've been playing on for half an hour, but....
Yeah, electronic deveices are the new no-no at teh table, which my wife is the worst culprit fo breaking. It annoys the crap out of me when someone is checking their device while I'm talking to them at the table...so those are gone now.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
we eat at the kitchen table every night and have a TV on while we eat, always.
when the kids were living at home same thing, that's just what we do.

Actually we don't and never did have a really comfortable living room to want to sit on the couch and eat at the coffee table and watch TV.

Everything was visually nice, but not really comfortable, and it is still the same now............

figure that one out

Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,394 times
Dinner time is sacred family time....no TV, turn off phones.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Always at the kitchen table. TV is off unless it is turned right down. I grew up in a home where we all sat at the table and it is a healthy, happy way to keep communication in a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting