Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times

Advertisements

I coslept (bedshare) with my babies. They were swaddled for the first couple months and slept in the crook of my arm as they often fell asleep when nursing. They would usually stay in that position.

For naps they were tummy sleepers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
My son slept on his back. With a blanket. With a pillow. With all the stuff they say is dangerous now. Somehow, he survived.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
My son hated swaddling from day one and REFUSED to back sleep.
Refused.
He is 2 now and sleeps great in all sorts of positions.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:56 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
It's been about 17 years for me, but I would lay my son on his back. I bought this pillow thingy from Babies R Us where you placed the baby in the middle of it, on his back and it kept him from turning over onto his stomach. There wasn't a chance of suffocation because the pillows weren't big or long enough to cover his nose and mouth. But even with that he sometime wound up on his stomach.
Check Babies R Us and see what they have.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Interesting article. Our second child was born in New Zealand and we did wrap the mattress as described (the wraps are sold cheaply in all the baby stores). As the article says, it is now a very wide-spread practice in NZ, although Dr Sprott's theories are still not without their detractors. We started out putting our son on his back, but fairly quickly (around the 8 week mark from memory) moved to stomach sleeping because he developed severe gastric reflux and would wake frequently (as in every 20 mins or so) coughing, choking, and crying/screaming, even with a wedge and raising the top end of the crib.

It felt like a dirty little secret because the health promotion of "back to sleep" was so strong and stomach sleeping was seen as somewhat akin to child abuse, but that and omeprazole were the only things that worked (sort of) for us to enable him to sleep. Thankfully our doctor was quietly ok with it. His take was that he was an immunized, breast-fed baby, we lived in a dry house (condensation can be a big problem in that climate), no-one smoked or drank, and there were no other underlying health conditions or family history of SIDS. We did use a cellular blanket, but other than that we kept the crib clear of other items. We did not swaddle (he wouldn't tolerate it).
While the theory may still have its detractors, if it's true that wrapping has had a 100% prevention rate in NZ among a six-digit sample size, that is, at the very least, highly suggestive that the theory has merit.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
While the theory may still have its detractors, if it's true that wrapping has had a 100% prevention rate in NZ among a six-digit sample size, that is, at the very least, highly suggestive that the theory has merit.
I wonder why I have never heard if this in America? Honestly, it sounds as though the theory has quite a bit of merit.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Thanks for all the answers. Keep them coming.:-)

Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I wonder why I have never heard if this in America? Honestly, it sounds as though the theory has quite a bit of merit.
I would like to know too.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:50 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
The toxic gas theory has been neither proven nor disproven. I do think there is likely to be something to the theory (enough to use the wrap myself), but there is no scientific research or data that proves the theory. The 100,000 number is the number of units sold and Dr Sprott contends that there have been no reported deaths on mattresses that were wrapped (based on his analysis of the coroner's reports), and therefore there is a 100% prevention rate. But there's no evidence offered to show that the coroner asked in every case whether the mattress was wrapped, and even if that is the case, it doesn't necessarily follow that that lack of deaths on wrapped mattresses is because of the wrapping.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 PM

7 posts, read 5,866 times
I have a 10 yr old and a 1 yr old and have worked in a pediatric office for years so I know that the recommendations for this have changed many times, back & forth, over the years. I think it is very important to do what is recommended NOW, not necessarily what others, including our own parents, have done in the past because new guidelines are based off of newer research & discoveries.... Always place your baby on his/her back to sleep. Try placing your hand on his/her stomach for a minute or two as you first lay her down. Many (not all) babies like to be swaddled in the first few months especially because thats what they were use to in your belly & it makes them feel secure. As they begin to move about more keeping them swaddled gets difficult but you should never put other blankets or toys in the crib. I would suggest you use a "Halo SleepSack Wearable Blanket". I used them with mine and they are soooo much easier. You can swaddle them up to 6 months then move up to the next size where they are covered but their arms are free. Less in the crib and they are always covered and warm. Once your baby is able to flip over you don't have to worry about which way they are (belly up/down). Also be sure they are also not sleeping in a hot room. Best for babies to sleep between 68-71 degrees. You can also use a pacifier at night which is also proven to reduce the risk of SIDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting