Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:26 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times

Advertisements

I think moderation is the key, we didn't have many screen-type toys for DS but did have a bunch of toys that played songs or recited ABCs etc at the push of a button, I don't think there's anything horribly wrong with it.
Our son is just a born techie though, just like his dad, and literally from two months old, once he started noticing stuff around him, he was fascinated by anything around him that was remotely techy-looking - I kid you not, he ignored toys and rattles but would constantly reach for remotes, phones, keyboards, anything black/metallic and with buttons; the TV remote was his favorite toy, he'd examine it for hours, chew on it, etc., lol. Even now at four, you can bring him into a room full of toys and games and he'll head straight for some piece of tech equipment in the corner. So a lot of his 'toys' throughout were real objects that everyone would give him knowing his obsession - he's got a collection of old non-working cellphones, cameras, remotes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I think moderation is the key, we didn't have many screen-type toys for DS but did have a bunch of toys that played songs or recited ABCs etc at the push of a button, I don't think there's anything horribly wrong with it.
Our son is just a born techie though, just like his dad, and literally from two months old, once he started noticing stuff around him, he was fascinated by anything around him that was remotely techy-looking - I kid you not, he ignored toys and rattles but would constantly reach for remotes, phones, keyboards, anything black/metallic and with buttons; the TV remote was his favorite toy, he'd examine it for hours, chew on it, etc., lol. Even now at four, you can bring him into a room full of toys and games and he'll head straight for some piece of tech equipment in the corner. So a lot of his 'toys' throughout were real objects that everyone would give him knowing his obsession - he's got a collection of old non-working cellphones, cameras, remotes, etc.
that's not quite my son, but my son is definitely techie. he showed early interest in all the electronics around him. he knew basic functionality of our phones at around 1, and he could almost independently use an iphone/ipad by 18 months.

second child, my daughter...you could literally turn the TV on for the entire day, and she would never once even glance at it. she occasionally picks up our phones, but it's just another object to her. she's got zero interest in electronics. she didn't even like the table that a lot of people get, with all the stuff on top to push and flip and it plays music. dolls. loves dolls. she'll grab a rag and mimick us cleaning. and she's big into playing with pots and pans. lol

amazing how different kids can be from one another!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 PM

208 posts, read 603,980 times
Honestly, I think toy companies sell toys to the parents rather than to the kids. I particularly love how all the toy packaging now list the different skills your child would develop if he or she plays with toy X. It's amazing how any of us adults ever developed skills without all these newfangled toys. /end rant

That said, I don't know about electronic toys having absolutely no value. In the minds of parents who buy them, I'm sure they have value. In our house, though, we've chosen not to buy them right now; instead, we try to give my 8-month old toys that are not limited in scope of play. And, we've observed him carefully to see what he likes. My son gives every new toy a chance, but he always goes back to his blocks, balls, links, books, and stuffed animals. He loves random bits of paper, strings, the sights and sounds of the outdoors, my husband's guitar, and anything with a funny shape that he can chew on. The cow that vibrates when you pull on its tail? Not so much. Every child is different. What has "value" for one child may not interest another. What's inappropriate for a certain age may be perfectly ok for an older child. I wouldn't dismiss anything outright.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM

501 posts, read 933,059 times
We don't let our 3 year old play with toys that have screens or keyboard type inputs. Don't think that is necessary.

Grandparents are concerned she won't learn how to use a computer and therefore won't suceed in life. I just laugh. Learning computers today is way different that their generation, and she will learn whether we want her to or not. She will soon enough be using screens and keyboards, we just are glad she is not today.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Here ya go. This is about as absurd as it gets. Be sure to read the customer reviews which BTW have become the latest source of comedy all over amazon.

Amazon.com: CTA Digital 2-in-1 iPotty with Activity Seat for iPad: Baby
I was absolutely stunned when I viewed this "product".

I guess that some parents are thinking, why should their busy toddler or preschooler be expected to ever leave their computer? Certainly not just to use the bathroom. BTW have you ever actually seen a toddlers hands when they try to wipe themselves? Yuck. IPads will be an E-Coli cesspool of germs. Or how often boys "miss" when peeing even while sitting on a potty chair? I hope that the IPad is "water" proof.

And those toddlers/preschoolers will grow into school age kids demanding IPad holders for all their home and school bathrooms. Now children obsessed with computers can spend every second of every day in front of their computer, except, for when the "mean, unreasonable dictator AKA their teacher" asks them to do anything at all except play video games.

I thought that parents who kept baskets of "bathroom only" books and toys next to the potty chair were somewhat indulgent but a potty chair designed with an IPad holder. Sheesh.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:47 AM

32 posts, read 45,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Here ya go. This is about as absurd as it gets. Be sure to read the customer reviews which BTW have become the latest source of comedy all over amazon.

Amazon.com: CTA Digital 2-in-1 iPotty with Activity Seat for iPad: Baby
Look on the bright side, CTA is probably rolling in it.
and anyway there have always been ridiculous products on the market, ALA Sears and Roebuck catalog before there were computers.
Me? I love having a technologically sound grandson. He is only 8 and knows how to fix my computer in a jiffy. instead of pretending to see the 20th centrury through rose tinted glasses, just focus on the positive side.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:51 AM

32 posts, read 45,067 times
Oh and about the iPad potty seat on amazon. notice there are some reviews from people that don't have the tangible product. The review section is for people who bought the potty seat, not for people to preach to the world about how this product clashes with their superior parenting ideals.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousjane View Post
Is there any value in electronic toys for babies and toddlers? I see the toy stores are overloaded with them, toys that require a push of a button or have a screen of some sort.

Personally, I think young babies and toddlers need to play with other types of toys that encourage imagination and free play, not just pressing buttons and looking at a screen. They need to be read to by actual people, not an electronic "leap pad" type of app on some screen.

Am I alone in my thinking? All my friends' kids have so many electronic toys, but my young kids have none. Of course when they get older, I see the value in it. But right now it just seems like they need to be doing other things like play dough, flipping through regular books, coloring, dancing, building with blocks, etc. I don't see any value in those electronic toys.

Different types of play is important. . . and having fun. So yeah. . Legos, etc are all good fun. Reading books is a priority. . from real people to kids

As part of this. . I think the iPad (specifically) is an amazing and fun tool. Far better than any watching of television. . .plus the educational games are amazing (Endless ABC for example)

its all in balance. . .

though the iPad is where i would put my dollars, and i'm not at all interested in LeapFrog specific technology.

but having video games and computers growing up. . helped me in many ways (career choice and my ability to be successful i believe via the problem solving nature of games)

just limit time, and encourage physical activity.

moderation is important with everythin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting