Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:14 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

With over 50 million children attending school in the US, the majority seem to be able to abide by the rules without having run ins with the admin, principals, school boards, etc.

Our schools have very clearly stated policies regarding the use of personal electronics. If said electronics are used inappropriately in school (as defined in the waiver signed by the guardian), they will be confiscated and can only be collected by the parent who signs the waiver and agrees to these rules. I would imagine due to persons such as the OP that most school districts have similar policies.

Of course there are always people who want to have special rules just for them.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:42 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
It's not JUST this. Have you been living under a rock? There are stories after stories of admins being complete tools. For example:

Dad Goes To Pick Kids Up From School, Gets Arrested Instead

School Threatens to Expel Black Girl Being Bullied Over Natural Hair

School lawyer lied about 'arrest' of girl suspended for trying to help drunken pal, attorney says | Fox News

Just to name a few.

I also have had plenty of run-ins with school admins while raising my daughter, and I think 90% of admins are a freakin joke that I wouldn't even trust to make me a burger at mcdonalds.

One time my daughter at 16 got in trouble just for...get this...putting on too much makeup! The school called me and I eventually got them to relent, but the fact is it shouldn't even have gotten to that point in the first place! It's pretty obvious most admins are hired due to connections rather than competence.

There seriously needs to be a purging of most school admins since basic common sense is long gone.
And all the drugs that go in and out of the schools goes unnoticed while everyone is whining about stupid things like too much make up or the wrong style jeans.

Who cares what you wear as long as it covers.

Focus on grades and keeping schools safe, not if little Susie's tank top straps are 1 1/3in instead of 1.8768 inches.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
It's not JUST this. Have you been living under a rock? There are stories after stories of admins being complete tools. For example:

Dad Goes To Pick Kids Up From School, Gets Arrested Instead

School Threatens to Expel Black Girl Being Bullied Over Natural Hair

School lawyer lied about 'arrest' of girl suspended for trying to help drunken pal, attorney says | Fox News

Just to name a few.

I also have had plenty of run-ins with school admins while raising my daughter, and I think 90% of admins are a freakin joke that I wouldn't even trust to make me a burger at mcdonalds.

One time my daughter at 16 got in trouble just for...get this...putting on too much makeup! The school called me and I eventually got them to relent, but the fact is it shouldn't even have gotten to that point in the first place! It's pretty obvious most admins are hired due to connections rather than competence.

There seriously needs to be a purging of most school admins since basic common sense is long gone.
Wow......OMG.....3 cases. Seriously, if it wasn't so rare, it wouldn't make the news. Only SHOCKING stories are generally headline worthy. Listen, when you're looking for a validation for your opinion, the Internet is a fabulous place to find fellow victims.

This would be far more accurate? "All school administrators are human.....some, even make mistakes".

Old 01-18-2014, 02:25 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
We've heard nothing back from the OP and frankly, unless there is something ILLEGAL that the laptop is tied to, it's not being held. After an issue is resolved, confiscated items are returned. Clearly, IF the OP hasn't gotten the computer back, there is a damn good reason for it. Unfortunately, there seems to be a pattern of behavior in this family, which includes "a lack of accountability".
Personally, I find this entire story very "fishy." There may be some elements of truth but usually when a story doesn't make sense it's because there are flat out lies or omissions that might color it a different way. While obviously it would be illegal for them to keep the laptop permanently, our district has policies about electronics stating they can only be returned to a parent, and if there are repeat violations, the item may be held until the end of the school year and then returned to a parent. For phones, if they are caught switched on during the school day, there's a $10 fee to get them back each time, which was put in place after rampant texts and calls being an issue during class. Or of course, like you're pointing out, if something illegal or something that violates the privacy of another student has occurred using the device, perhaps it is being kept as part of an investigation. No way to know... I just feel like we haven't yet gotten the straight story from the OP.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:15 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Personally, I find this entire story very "fishy." There may be some elements of truth but usually when a story doesn't make sense it's because there are flat out lies or omissions that might color it a different way. While obviously it would be illegal for them to keep the laptop permanently, our district has policies about electronics stating they can only be returned to a parent, and if there are repeat violations, the item may be held until the end of the school year and then returned to a parent. For phones, if they are caught switched on during the school day, there's a $10 fee to get them back each time, which was put in place after rampant texts and calls being an issue during class. Or of course, like you're pointing out, if something illegal or something that violates the privacy of another student has occurred using the device, perhaps it is being kept as part of an investigation. No way to know... I just feel like we haven't yet gotten the straight story from the OP.
I completely agree with your entire post. Funny, how leaving out a few "minute details" can color a story, eh?

As for "policies"? The darn things are there for a good reason. It drives me crazy, the people who scream and holler about "stupid school rules and policies". For cryin out loud, if so many people weren't so socially retarded these days, we wouldn't need so many rules, regulations and policies. If more folks could govern themselves responsibly...they wouldn't need so much "governing".

Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I skipped to the end after reading the OP just to say I didn't believe it. Looks like I'm in too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting