Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Yep, same with her, but her mother is LDS so that no doubt has a lot to do with it. I'm Christian but I certainly know better.
Uh... Mormon women do not teach their daughers that tampons take away their virginity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
I am glad you asked this question. A lot of mothers I know feel so awkward about this that they wouldn't really want to sit down with their daughters and talk about it. (I'm not a parent but I do visit the Parenting forum because I find it interesting)

I agree with a lot of these posters about the smaller pads. I started with pads and used tampons every once in a while, then started to phase them in more. Tampax Pearl actually works pretty well for me.

As for cups, I haven't tried them but I think they might be uncomfortable for young girls. I think starting them with pads is best. Maybe you could keep a stash of them until your daughter tells you it finally happened!

I don't know how you'd necessarily feel about this but I'd suggest keeping a stash of ibuprofen or Midol around in case she gets cramps.

Still though, good for you for opening this thread. My mom always taught me to be happy I had my period, even though everyone else complained, because she said it meant I could have kids. I always wanted kids so for me, that was encouraging, and I still 'appreciate' my period to this day.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Uh... Mormon women do not teach their daughers that tampons take away their virginity.
Well, just because she's LDS doesn't mean it can't influence her own views on it. Christianity doesn't teach it either but I have heard of some christians believing the same thing.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:07 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I gave my daughter a choice between pads and tampons (bought some of each). We made a little kit with a pad, a tampon, and a wipe (kotex u makes wipes) to put in her backpack. She was worried about what to do if she started her period and the teacher wouldn't let her go to the bathroom, because sometimes they don't. I told her to go ahead to the restroom, then go to the nurse and explain why she'd had to walk out of class. It was never an issue (she didn't get her first period at school) but it was good to be prepared.

She ended up using tampons from the beginning. My sisters were the same way. I think some of it has to do with the hot weather here, a pad can smell pretty bad after a few hours.
Yup, same here. All the girls got the breast buds about a year before their 1st periods, and we kept both types around to choose which one they would use. Without FAIL, they all chose the tampons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Creeped out? Not at all.

Men are aware of periods and the supplies that go along with them. Besides, it might be helpful for a single father.
Good call Maciesmom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah my mom gave me books on what to expect but she never really talked to me.
I remember it like it was yesterday, she handed me a pad and went back to playing her pc game tribes.

I really want to stress that it should always be the girls decision on what products she uses.
From 11 to 14 I wasnt allowed to use anything but pads and I hated it. No girl should be forced to use pads, you basically sit in your own uterus lining and its disgusting.

I hated my mom so much for that, I was beyond miserable.
I agree!

As to the OP, my girls prefer the U by Kotex.

This type:
https://www.ubykotex.com/products/cl...r-tampons/1168

They also use that brand for the wipes.

As far as a "starter kit" goes; I would add tampons, pads, panty liners, wipes, midol or pamprin, chocolate, new panties, some of those disposable thermal stickie heating pad type things, kleenex, and a good old fashioned cry-a-thon movie, but that's just me.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
As far as a "starter kit" goes
There is actually a company that creates starter kits for girls first periods. I don't know anyone who has ever used them, I just remember them from their cute viral video from a few months ago.

HelloFlo description: All your tampons and feminine supplies delivered right to your door in a discreet box.

The Camp Gyno - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting