Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
I dont think you understood my point, or I didnt make myself clear. It is sometimes difficult to get things across in writing on a forum. I didnt mean that a child should not get a phone "simply" because I didnt get one until I was in my 60's. As a matter of fact, I have used a cell phone for at least 10 years. What I didnt do, and what I do not recommend doing for a child, is to get a smartphone or expensive phone. Reason? Because for one, they lose them. Another reason? Because it isnt absolutely necessary to have a smartphone for a small child. A simple phone with minimal charges is going to give them the ability to call mom or dad, which is truly enough for a child in my opinion. To each his own...just giving my opinion.
My child (now 19) was the first kid she knew to get a smart phone way back when she was 12 or 13. It was my old iphone, so there was no cost and she never lost one, actually of my three, not one has every lost a phone and only one was ever broken. Last year her five slid out of her pocket while in a cab, and due to the fact it was a smart phone we got it back in an hour. Wouldn't have been possible with a regular phone.

Oh, and the whooping charges for these phones? $10 a month. Can't get much more minimal than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
I think the crux of it is this... kids have a world of knowledge at their fingertips that none if us had back in our day, I can't imagine what I could have learned if we had had Google.

I embrace it as the wonderful thing it is. You can point out the pitfalls, because with the freedom of access comes responsibility, but to discourage it just because it's not what we had is shortsighted and worse, fighting the inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting