U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you use a daycare when your child was under 2?
Yes 15 27.78%
No 39 72.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 14,475,386 times

Advertisements

I'm curious and want to take a poll of the parents here. When your child was under 2 years of age, did you utilize a daycare?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 PM

119 posts, read 438,026 times
Yes, I did and she is perfectly normal.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 14,475,386 times
Did you put your daughter in out of necessity to work or because it was convenient?

Currently, my hubby and I don't use a daycare because our schedules never intertwine. However, my daughter's sperm donor wants her in a daycare because it would be more convenient for him to pick her up from there on Friday's and take her to on Monday's than to come over to our beautiful home. ((He still lives with his mommy....))

Except for putting a baby into a daycare while you work... I don't see the point of a daycare for someone her age. ((17 months))

Old 11-29-2007, 10:36 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,924,829 times
Yes I did. I had my youngest when I was still working. We had several nannies who didn't work out and I didn't want to go through all the drama again. We put him in a daycare at the local college which was part of the Boys and Girls club. It only accepted children up to age five and separated the babies from the older children. There were only 5 or 6 babies there at a time and it was wonderful. He got tons of love and attention. When I finally quit my job they were so sad to see him go. He adjusted quite well to going to daycare and made the adjustment well from leaving it. I don't regret putting him there as it was what I needed to do at the time. Now I get to be with him all the time and we are both happy.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,798,547 times
Due to my own experiences in daycare as a child, I refused to place my son in daycare until he was able to coherently tell me about his day.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 AM

15,703 posts, read 19,022,740 times
I was working and my husband was going to school. My daughter went to an in-home daycare starting at 10 weeks and it was a good experience for all of us. The woman had been caring for children in her home for 40 years. She usually had 2 or 3 kids and never more than 5. Her home was spotless and she cooked breakfast and lunch for the older kids. When she opened the door in the morning her house smelled like coffee and homemade tortillas. My daughter loved her like a grandma and we're still in touch. I have never regretted the decision.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM

119 posts, read 438,026 times
It was out of necessity...I was in college. She was there from around 8 to 2 or 3 I think...it's been awhile since she was in it...she's 9 now. I tried the home care and after about 3 times of not being able to go to school or being late because something came up and she couldn't watch her, I put her in a daycare. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't have put her in there. I don't feel guilty for doing it because that was something that had to be done, but if it weren't for schook, I would've kept her with me.

I don't believe in it for convenience. There is a mom at my daughters school who doesn't work but she puts her child in fulltime daycare. Like you, I just don't see the point in it if it's not a necessity. Especially since it is sooooo expensive!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,924,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Did you put your daughter in out of necessity to work or because it was convenient?

Currently, my hubby and I don't use a daycare because our schedules never intertwine. However, my daughter's sperm donor wants her in a daycare because it would be more convenient for him to pick her up from there on Friday's and take her to on Monday's than to come over to our beautiful home. ((He still lives with his mommy....))

Except for putting a baby into a daycare while you work... I don't see the point of a daycare for someone her age. ((17 months))
After reading another post of yours regarding this situation I have another thought. Since he doesn't want to come to your home and you don't want to venture to his, how about meeting at a neutral ground say a park or at the mall. If you don't require the daycare meet somewhere where you can drop her to him and vice versa. That way it is neutral territory and you avoid confrontations with him and his family and apparantly he with yours. If he is truly insistent with the daycare tell him he has to pay for it. And honestly it really isn't going to hurt your daughter in the long run. She will have two days where she gets to go and play with other children her age. Some daycares will allow you to drop the children off at any time. So if you know that he is picking her up on Friday, drop her off shortly before he is scheduled to be there and the same with picking her up. Pick her up as soon as possible. It seems to me that this is an awfully expensive route to take just to avoid contact with one another. You two are going to be connected for the rest of your lives through your daughter. There has got to be a better way. I hope you can find a simpler solution.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 AM

394 posts, read 1,922,537 times
No, we never used daycare for any of our three children.

I'm sorry about your situation, it sounds very awkward.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,081,454 times
We avoid daycare as well. I work around my husbands schedule and have only put my children in daycare for a year but dreaded every moment of it. They were always sick and my son got a staph infection and that was the breaking point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting