Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 AM

120 posts, read 212,650 times

Advertisements

Hullo,

I debated quite a bit if this post belongs to here or the Psychology forum and finally decided to post it here.

I have a 14 year old daughter who goes to a public school. She has a classmate (I assign the friend a fake name, say Mandy) that she recently brought Mandy home the first time last week and they hang out at our place for a few hours. Mandy seems like a nice girl, she has manners. My daughter says Mandy comes from an underprivileged family, and she does not do well in most of her classes (they only have one class together that is Art). They enjoy their friendship because I think they are both lighthearted, humurous, and not girly like some other 14 year old teens. All is well so far, however, I realized that Mandy lies (my daughter confirms that too). The reason we realized that her stories lack consistency and off the wall at times.

I am not quite sure the best way to handle this. Shall I hint that I am not buying it or say flat out we do not lie in our house or just ignore it ? Other than her vivid made-up stories, she is a good kid. I tend to think that she might be making up stories to shield herself psychologically from a lifestyle she does not like.

I appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I wouldn't challenge Mandy, unless the lies are harmful to others. As long as your daughter sees through her stories, and still enjoys her company, let her take the lead on this.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:46 AM

120 posts, read 212,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I wouldn't challenge Mandy, unless the lies are harmful to others. As long as your daughter sees through her stories, and still enjoys her company, let her take the lead on this.

Mandy's lies are not harmful (I should have mentioned in this in my original post), just a bunch of stories such as "I have diabetes" (Mandy does not, however, my daughter is Type 1 diabetic). "My aunt's cat lived for 100 years". "I have a puppy and we sleep together" (She does not have a dog)...etc. And, boy, she elaborates on those stories.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
When my daughter's friends are telling obvious lies, sometimes I'll say (in a light, friendly way) "What a good imagination you have! You should try writing some stories."

I think kids are more likely to make up stories like that when they're feeling insecure.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinyo View Post
Mandy's lies are not harmful (I should have mentioned in this in my original post), just a bunch of stories such as "I have diabetes" (Mandy does not, however, my daughter is Type 1 diabetic). "My aunt's cat lived for 100 years". "I have a puppy and we sleep together" (She does not have a dog)...etc. And, boy, she elaborates on those stories.
I wouldn't be too worried about it, although it does seem a little odd for a 14 year old. My daughter had a friend who spun "tall tales" about vacations, expensive toys, fancy clothes and things that she desired, but she was age 5 to 9 when she said those things. It was more wishful thinking as her parent was a single Mom with a very low income living in a very bad neighborhood. OTOH, my daughter had to stop being friends with her outside of school as she would frequently "borrow without telling us" (ie. steal) toys, video games or expensive items when she had a play date at our house. Due to the frequent gun fire in her neighborhood we preferred that I pick her up and she play at our house instead of my daughter playing at her house. So, maybe the "tall tales" were a hint of future problems.

I suggest acknowledging that you suspect these are exaggerations by occasionally saying something like, "that would be wonderful if a cat lived 100 years" or " I'm sure that it would be fun to have a puppy to sleep with". You wouldn't be directly contradicting her but if may stop her from making up and telling you more and more far fetched stories.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
When my daughter's friends are telling obvious lies, sometimes I'll say (in a light, friendly way) "What a good imagination you have! You should try writing some stories."

I think kids are more likely to make up stories like that when they're feeling insecure.
Great suggestion. I have suggested that as well.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
This is what I would say "Haven't I told you a million times not to exaggerate?"

Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 PM

501 posts, read 933,059 times
I know this person who is a parent, and she lies constantly. Stretches the truth. I've decided that about 60-70% of what she says is the truth, about 30-40% is fabrication.

She is raising a daughter, and I'm sure that her daughter will be exactly the same way. Fabricate the parts of the story that need to be fabricated so the whole thing makes sense, or tears at the heartstrings, or whatever.....

The sad thing is the mom actually believes the fabrications that she makes up after she tells them enough times.

I don't think there is anything you can do about Mandy.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I know this person who is a parent, and she lies constantly. Stretches the truth. I've decided that about 60-70% of what she says is the truth, about 30-40% is fabrication.

She is raising a daughter, and I'm sure that her daughter will be exactly the same way. Fabricate the parts of the story that need to be fabricated so the whole thing makes sense, or tears at the heartstrings, or whatever.....

The sad thing is the mom actually believes the fabrications that she makes up after she tells them enough times.

I don't think there is anything you can do about Mandy.
Since the girl is only 14, I think it might not be too late.

You can gently remind them of reality. I don't know exactly how pathological liars start out but I think that no one ever brought them in line early on -- they get some kind of rewards from telling whoppers or they begin to think everyone believes them. Someone should clue them in fairly early that their stories are too far fetched.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 PM

32 posts, read 45,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Since the girl is only 14, I think it might not be too late.

You can gently remind them of reality. I don't know exactly how pathological liars start out but I think that no one ever brought them in line early on -- they get some kind of rewards from telling whoppers or they begin to think everyone believes them. Someone should clue them in fairly early that their stories are too far fetched.
there is a point where it is too late and teens bad habits are set in stone.
Think about it, did the liars in high school ever grow out of it? Probably not.
the worst liars are the ones that have the unique ability to fool a large amount of people, but a few of those people know what is really going on......and when they try to expose the story/teller, they are rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting