Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:15 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times

Advertisements

Some of the smartest kids (and parents) don't own either of those devices.

Stand your ground, and get back into "his" game (of life).

We parents often take our one-on-one attention/time away from our kids as they increase in age.

It sounds to me like he needs you to backtrack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 03:06 PM

40 posts, read 47,456 times
So keep Doing what in doing

Old 02-07-2014, 03:19 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
So he wants to run away? Did you ask him where he will go? Did you tell him that you will help him pack?

When I offered to help pack, the attitude was very different for my then-teen.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:38 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsGuy View Post
So keep Doing what in doing
Yes, but find out why the grades are falling. My son gets good grades and when they fall its because he doesn't understand the new lesson.

Or I find the minute I don't pay attention to his studies he slacks off.Which is just laziness because like your son he gets good grades.
I also gave him a curfew on the electronics. No texting and such after 9.

My son yells the hate word here and there. It stings badly, but I'm firm. He has been grounded before too.I tell him if he wants my respect he has to show me some as well.

Discipline is attention.Many children need it.It's a reminder that You are there for them.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 PM

276 posts, read 644,059 times
I have a 13 year old too.
He's never told me he hates me, but has probably thought it at times.

A smartphone, or any other phone is out of the question for any of my kids.
When they can sign up and pay the bill, they can have their own phone.

Concerning video games, they are only allowed
to play them on the weekends, summer included.

That's just me.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:36 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Oh boy..I remember those years with my 2 spirited boys...

What they really mean is that they are mad, hate your restrictions on their freedom
& they also want to hurt you because they are mad..

I used to say...

" that hurts to hear...but
I love you to the moon and back( or more than life itself, or so much it takes my breath, ect)..

I love you way too much to allow you to
behave this way, (or do this thing, or not learn from this, or not teach you to be responsible, ect)

This defuses things and lets them know that your love is unconditional ...

If I had it to do over ( mine are great adults now) I would tell them that I wanted to hear them and their feelings after they calmed down..
Mine do say that they didn't feel heard.. They were so disrespectful when mad that
I wouldn't let them mouth off and then didn't always readdress their feelings after they were calm..

Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsGuy View Post
My son is 13 yrs old. I got his report card, and he is failing on of his subjects: English. He normally gets good grades and is an honor student and has been since Elementary School. However, his grades started to decrease when I bought him an Xbox 1 (Christmas) and Smart Phone (Birthday.) When I saw he was failing, I took away his Xbox and phone until he brings his grades up. Now, he says he hates me and wants to run away. Any suggestions...?
Yeah. Keep doing what you're doing. You're on the right path.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
You know, the nice thing about being a parent is that it is a constant learning experience. Some kids can manage their time with the xBox and a phone. Others -- not so much. So, what have you learned from this? That your son has trouble prioritizing and managing his time.

Read "Parenting with Love and Logic" by Foster Kline. He also has another book, "Parenting Teenagers With Love and Logic." The trick is to remove yourself from imposing discipline by creating the expectations and the consequences of not meeting those expectations. Adults have expectations on them and develop the discipline to meet those expectations -- work, family, avocations, passions, etc., but kids have to learn that actions have consequences. If your son does not meet certain grade expectations, then he needs to spend more time on meeting academic expectations -- and less time on xBoxes, etc. He's two years away from getting his learner's permit -- he needs to be able to demonstrate the ability to make good decisions in the little things (xBoxes) before he can be trusted with decisions about big things (cars).

You're doing the right thing. I'd remove the xBox and the phone until the next grading period. If his grades have improved to acceptable levels, then he earns them back, gradually.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:02 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
You're doing the right thing. I'd remove the xBox and the phone until the next grading period. If his grades have improved to acceptable levels, then he earns them back, gradually.
For a 13 year old it would be great to allow on the weekend depending on the grades for that week..
Does the school do online grading reports???

Short term rewards work well...

Old 02-07-2014, 07:06 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
^ Yep, I always told mine that I knew they didn't hate me, but that they were very angry, which was okay because everyone gets angry. But also that they they were not allowed to become disrespectful just because they were angry, and if they wanted to express their feelings in an acceptable manner, that was perfectly fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting