Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:54 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,048,974 times

Advertisements

I often babysat as a 12 yo. I was experienced around babies and anyone with a sick child called to have me come over and help. I was awesome and could sooth a colic baby in no time. At 11, my cousin had me babysit (daytime) her 3 children (irish triplets) on the day she came home from the hospital with #3. I had family available to help should I need it - and was trusted to call for help. Dinnertime proved that I could be trusted as I called for help but by the time it arrived, 10 minutes, I had the situation in hand. It was nice, though to have extra hands to clean up. As my children were growing up with no family nearby, I hired local boys and girls to sit for me. I did have them come as a mother's helper during the day on several occasions before doing a night. Surprisingly, it became difficult to find any sitter as the kids became too busy with steady work until I lucked onto a retired teacher looking for a night out a month away from caretaking her mother. My boys adored her and we became friends. It was a win-win situation for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,456,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I think 12 is way to young to be responsible for a 2 year old. Two years old toddles are a handful, getting into everything. Too much risk in my opinion.
Right or wrong... I know several mothers age 14 and 15.

One of the homes I manage is rented by a 29 year old Grandmother... just saying age is sometimes just a number.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,004,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
It's sad, isn't it? We've allowed the media and rare instances of babysitter abuse to infiltrate our common sense and scare the dickens out of us.

I'd let my 75 year old neighbor, who is a former RN, babysit my kid any day over the 13 year old girl across the street.

She has an active interest in them and treats them like her own grandchildren. I love that!

I don't see how a degree has anything to do with it. You could be retired or perhaps a SAHM, or you could be a graduate student. I mean, what in the world does a master's have to do with anything!?!
Just like a retired Nurse, who did occasional babysitting, might mention in her qualifications that she used to be a Pediatric Nurse, I mention that I have a Master's Degree in Early Childhood Development. Obviously, you don't need a Master's Degree to be a good babysitter but I have had several families select me over another potential babysitter specifically because I mentioned that qualification. Now if my Masters degree was in Algebra or Chemistry or Business it would have absolutely nothing to do with planning developmentally appropriate play activities, strategies for age appropriate behavior management and other issues related to child care so I would not mention it.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-21-2014 at 04:35 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,111,084 times
Actually, it depends on the 12 year old. She sounds responsible...cpr training already....If her Mom is nearby...or if I had good neighbors that were a call away, those variables that build confidence may help your friend's comfort level. I'd probably do a quick trip to the store, and give it a trial...Or, have the 12 year old come spend a few hours while i was home, to help...good chance to observe, and do that a few times. And, truthfully...12 is pre-boy crazy usually, so she may not be on the phone with her boyfriend the whole time, a plus.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,341,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Just like a retired Nurse, who did occasional babysitting, might mention in her qualifications that she used to be a Pediatric Nurse, I mention that I have a Master's Degree in Early Childhood Development. Obviously, you don't need a Master's Degree to be a good babysitter but I have had several families select me over another potential babysitter specifically because I mentioned that qualification. Now if my Masters degree was in Algebra or Chemistry or Business it would have absolutely nothing to do with planning developmentally appropriate play activities, strategies for age appropriate behavior management and other issues related to child care so I would not mention it.
I'm sorry, I didn't post that right. I really meant that a Master's Degree shouldn't be a DISqualifier, or a reason for someone to wonder if something is wrong with you that you have a Master's and you're merely babysitting. I agree that your degree is actually an asset and you should absolutely use that to your advantage, I'd personally love a sitter that had that qualification and would never think it was weird in any way (as someone else mentioned).

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:24 AM

69 posts, read 91,958 times
Would you let a 12 year old girl babysit a 2 year old girl?

No, mostly because the 2 y/o is young, not because the 12 y/o is.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,127,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Right or wrong... I know several mothers age 14 and 15.

One of the homes I manage is rented by a 29 year old Grandmother... just saying age is sometimes just a number.
When I was pregnant with our oldest there was a 13 year old that was on the same appointment cycle as I was and had her baby a couple days after we did....she would have been 12 or "just" 13 when she got pregnant.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:23 PM

277 posts, read 504,892 times
Sorry everyone but a 12 year old shouldn't babysit a child. That's adult responsibility and a 12 year old isn't mature enough to care for a child. I'm aware it happens all the time but that doesn't make it right or good.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,048,974 times
Yes, caring for a baby is an adult responsibility; one that many over 18 are not capable of handling and many under 18 are more equipped to do so. Ruling out a 12 yr old just on age is an option some have; ruling in someone based on age may be a bigger mistake.

Just look at the news over the last few days: baby found in ditch (dumped by mother); baby's death charged to 19 yo father; and I won't continue because it will make me cry.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,456,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
Sorry everyone but a 12 year old shouldn't babysit a child. That's adult responsibility and a 12 year old isn't mature enough to care for a child. I'm aware it happens all the time but that doesn't make it right or good.
Not only happens... the Federal goverment approves of it on many Military bases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting