Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:53 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times

Advertisements

Breast-feeding Benefits Appear to be Overstated, According to Study of Siblings

Through studying siblings who were fed differently and controlling for things that were not in previous studies, it shows that some of the breast feeding positives have been overstated.

Really interesting stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 02:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:14 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Breast-feeding Benefits Appear to be Overstated, According to Study of Siblings

Through studying siblings who were fed differently and controlling for things that were not in previous studies, it shows that some of the breast feeding positives have been overstated.

Really interesting stuff.
I saw this this morning, very interesting. My sister and I fit the study. I was breast fed until nearly 2yrs old, my sister was not because my mom hemorraged after her birth and her milk never came in from the trauma. My sister and I have identical IQs but I was actually the more unhealthy child, my chronic ear infections were so bad that I am mildly hearing impaired from scar tissue build up. I had childhood asthma, allergies, and was just overall kind of a sickly kid. My preemie sister was the sturdy athlete.

While one example is never indicative of a statistical result...it is interesting.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I saw this this morning, very interesting. My sister and I fit the study. I was breast fed until nearly 2yrs old, my sister was not because my mom hemorraged after her birth and her milk never came in from the trauma. My sister and I have identical IQs but I was actually the more unhealthy child, my chronic ear infections were so bad that I am mildly hearing impaired from scar tissue build up. I had childhood asthma, allergies, and was just overall kind of a sickly kid. My preemie sister was the sturdy athlete.

While one example is never indicative of a statistical result...it is interesting.
While I did not read the study, I can say this seems to be positive news for those who cannot or do not breast feed. I myself did. For me, I did it because I believed it to be better, but I also found it very easy to just whip it out instead of having to prepare a bottle. Less expensive also.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Interesting and very in-depth study. Asthma was actually higher in those who breast-fed. However, the study noted that this was self-reported asthma and not asthma diagnosis, so maybe breast-fed siblings (or their parents) more prone to hypochondria.

It's interesting that the study cites no statistical difference between breast-feeding and formula, yet still promotes breast-feeding in the early months. I agree with the overall conclusion that, rather than spend money promoting extended breast-feeding, funding for early childhood development would be better used to support socioeconomic development that would give concrete advantages to children and their caregivers.

The study was funded by a grant from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development, and appears to have no ties to industry or interest groups that might induce a bias.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I think this study told us what we've actually known for a long time. Even Dr. Mom, a huge breast-feeding advocate, says you can't go into a preschool and tell who was breast fed and who wasn't. Good to add to the body of information, though. I remain a proponent of breast feeding, btw.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Maybe this will get the moms who breast feed off their high horses and stop acting like those who bottle feed are inferior and harming their kids.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:05 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
I was a stay at home mom so breastfeeding was definitely the best way to go as far as I was concerned. However, my daughter was teaching 8 hours a day and spending her breaks pumping, she kept it up but it was very stressful. I think breast milk has to be better for the baby but if you are feeling stressed it is not good either. Each person should make their own decision without feeling guilty.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:59 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Maybe this will get the moms who breast feed off their high horses and stop acting like those who bottle feed are inferior and harming their kids.
This. I just didn't produce milk and there were a number of breast feeding moms who thought I was just lazy. We just chose formula instead of going to a milk bank, which one high horse type suggested, but my husband was just weirded out by the idea of her having someone else's breast milk. Disclaimer...I have also met breast feeding proponents who were understanding of the fact that sometimes your body just doesn't do what you may want it to.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I was a stay at home mom so breastfeeding was definitely the best way to go as far as I was concerned. However, my daughter was teaching 8 hours a day and spending her breaks pumping, she kept it up but it was very stressful. I think breast milk has to be better for the baby but if you are feeling stressed it is not good either. Each person should make their own decision without feeling guilty.
I agree. The whole breast vs. bottle deal is part of the mommy wars. I nursed because it worked for us and it was what I thought was best. I was also home and could devote the time to it. I'll never understand why people feel the need to argue over this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting