Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 03:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
There is a long precedent in the US of parents being responsible for their kids college educations. Unbelievable that the same people who got their education paid for by the G.I. Bill now consider education to be a "privilege".

Legal Duty of Parent in USA to Pay for Child's College Education
Tuition paid for by the G.I. Bill was most certainly earned. Not given as a privilege.

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-06-2014 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:45 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Do you really think that any college is now going to let her in? Unintended consequences..I bet her acceptances get rescinded. What reputable college would want to be associated with this case???
I agree and further she doesn't sound healthy or mature enough to be in college.

Too bad they didn't put her in rehab or a treatment center when they had the chance.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM

426 posts, read 791,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Tuition paid for by the G.I. Bill was most certainly earned. Not given as a privilege.
Absolutely! I wanted to rep you, but it didn't allow me to.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
There is a long precedent in the US of parents being responsible for their kids college educations. Unbelievable that the same people who got their education paid for by the G.I. Bill now consider education to be a "privilege".

Legal Duty of Parent in USA to Pay for Child's College Education
Maybe this spoiled brat could join the military and earn a GI bill for herself.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
It is a privilege only to those who's parents are not willing or who are unable to pay for their college education. For the others it is a right.

Many courts have ruled that the privilege of parenthood carries with it the duty to assure a necessary education for children. It's really not good public policy to allow parents to just shrug off responsibility for their children on their 18th birthday. Most people are still in high school when they turn 18. If all parents thought that way, not only would the rate of higher education suffer, but the high school graduation rate would plummet as kids drop out of school on their 18th birthdays, to start supporting themselves.

Sorry but I don't think people are entitled to have kids, then dump them on society at age 18 without first doing everything in their power to make sure the kids become productive members of society. That includes giving them the education and tools needed to support themselves. I hope this girl wins the lawsuit.
Once someone is an adult, they can get a job and/or a loan. Nothing is stopping this one from working her way through college.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
She did not follow the rules in her parents home and voluntarily moved out. Her parents would not pay her school tuition because she refused to follow their rules.

I swindled my dad (parents) into letting me go to a very, very expensive college in Virginia when I was 18. My father told me they would pay all of my expenses as long as I maintained a 2.0 average. That is a C average.

I called their bluff and my first grades spelled WIFFF (Withdraw, Incomplete, Fail, Fail, Fail). My dad said "Congrats, you are on your own". Took my car, everything.

My bratty ass got a waitress job, bought a beater car, and enrolled at USC (state school), and had to bankroll myself for five years of college.

I wonder if I can go back and sue my parents?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Do some research. There is plenty of grounds for this case. Courts in New Jersey where this case will be heard, and many other states as well, say that it is parents responsibility to pay for college. The girl will win her case, if not initially, then on appeal.

I do not except that you have a right to dump your uneducated kid on society, just because you think that his education is a "privilege" and don't want to pay for it.

The case of Newburgh v. Arrigo, 88 N.J. 529 (1982); established that “the parental duty to provide an education to children extends to the responsibility to provide a college education.â€

http://www.eisneramperwmcb.com/files...%20divorce.pdf
There is NO law that makes it a right to have a parent provide a college education. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. In the case you provide, the circumstances are quite different, and the issue is about the distribution of funds for a son, after his father's death.

Also:

"Generally parents are not under a duty to support children after the age of majority. Nonetheless, in appropriate circumstances, the privilege of parenthood carries with it the duty to assure a necessary education for children. Frequently, the issue of that duty arises in the context of a divorce or separation proceeding where a child, after attaining majority, seeks contribution from a non-custodial parent for the cost of a college education. In those cases, courts have treated "necessary education" as a flexible concept that can vary in different circumstances."

This girl's situation is completely different. She is a complete brat that is trying to manipulate the system to milk every penny she can from her parents. She should be thrown out of court on her @ss.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:15 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
From the Founding Fathers of this country maybe. It is a fundamental principle of what the United States was founded on. If you were educated yourself, you would know that.

"A system of general instruction, which shall reach every description of our citizens from the richest to the poorest, as it was the earliest, so will it be the latest of all the public concerns in which I shall permit myself to take an interest." --Thomas Jefferson to Joseph C. Cabell, 1818. FE 10:102

Thomas Jefferson on Politics & Government 39. Educating the People
"If I educate myself"? Educate YOURSELF, how about it? That quoted statement expresses an opinion on education. How on earth you take that to mean that everyone is entitled to a college education is beyond me.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"If I educate myself"? Educate YOURSELF, how about it? That quoted statement expresses an opinion on education. How on earth you take that to mean that everyone is entitled to a college education is beyond me.
Every citizen from the richest to the poorest. That means everyone has an equal right to an education, not just the ones can afford it, as you contend. Thats what this country was founded on. If you don't like it, then leave. Move to a country where education is only for the elite. But don't stay here and dump your uneducated kids on society, because you are too irresponsible to make sure they get a higher education.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
Quote:
Every citizen from the richest to the poorest. That means everyone has an equal right to an education, not just the ones can afford it, as you contend. Thats what this country was founded on. If you don't like it, then leave. Move to a country where education is only for the elite. But don't stay here and dump your uneducated kids on society, because you are too irresponsible to make sure they get a higher education.
You are confusing a higher education with basic education you obtain from high school. BTW you don't need a higher education to make it in life. Not every job needs a bachelors degree or higher.

The founding fathers wanted people to have access to basic education, hence free public schools. College isn't free, ergo nobody is entitled to it be paid for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting