Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:18 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Aunt 936 View Post
<snip>

As I said earlier, my oldest is really into science. Last year in KG they were having a science fair, his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. Truly precious. No one expected any of the KG kids to participate. My son wanted to make a volcano. And so we did, when we actually brought it in, all the teachers were amazed this little 5 year old put more effort into this project than most of the 5th graders did on theirs. He even did the eruption without any assistance (we had practiced the week before, and had everything measured exactly so we didn't accidently have a super eruption, lol). It was awesome! I love doing science stuff with him.

The younger one, he loves puzzles. It's the only thing I found that he can stay focused on, and for hours. I can give him a 100+ piece puzzle, and he gets so quiet it would be easy to forget he was there. For Christmas, Santa took one of their pictures I had of them up in a tree, and he blew it up into a 100 piece puzzle for him. So he loves putting himself back together again and again and again.
Please reread your posts, especially how you described your two children.

BTW, your second child is the one who appears to be gifted. He is exhibiting an analytical ability that is unusual in a child his age. (Oh, and just to help out a little, try giving him a few workbooks or computer games with advanced level mazes. He'll probably kick a**.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 PM

155 posts, read 189,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Please reread your posts, especially how you described your two children.

BTW, your second child is the one who appears to be gifted. He is exhibiting an analytical ability that is unusual in a child his age. (Oh, and just to help out a little, try giving him a few workbooks or computer games with advanced level mazes. He'll probably kick a**.)
If you are implying that I favor one child over the other, you would be wrong. My children get equal quality time with me. I take interest in the science, and the puzzles. Some of them, we like to glue together, frame and hang for everyone to see. For the most part in putting puzzles together, he doesn't like it when I or his brother try to help. I say WE because WE do things together.

I never posted anything saying my oldest was gifted. I've said he is extremely smart, and he is. My youngest struggles with the basics, but he excels in other areas. I can tell you my oldest has sat down to do puzzles with his brother and he is the complete opposite in that nature.

My youngest loves his leap pad, and the mazes on there. He also loves word searches, so he has some apps for those as well. He is more independent than his brother I think. He likes to try and figure stuff out on his own and gets upset when someone tries to show him how or help.

I mostly speak of my oldest in this thread, because that is who this thread is about.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:02 AM

13 posts, read 11,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I had lots of sympathy for you up until this post. He's not rewarded for being a member of the family? How about being appreciated? You are farming out a 7 year old to neighbors for work and won't even let him have bubble gum?

You are just strict... Moderator Cut I am strict, but my daughter always knows she is an important member of the family. I can see why he's stealing...he is seeking control and power over at least part of his life....since you have deminished him to being nothing more than a cog you can control....and in a weird way he is probably trying to get your attention...because even negative attention is better than being told you don't even matter.

What you are doing is worse than beating him.
What she is doing is right.

Who ever came up with the attitude that children should be rewarded for being a member of the family?

Who decided that children should be appreciated?

Simply by existing, you think children should be put on a throne and worshipped?

By the way, seven year olds don't need control and power over any part of their life.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose thorns View Post

Who ever came up with the attitude that children should be rewarded for being a member of the family?

Simply by existing, you think children should be put on a throne and worshipped?

By the way, seven year olds don't need control and power over any part of their life.

Seriously? Who decided that they shouldn't?

People cannot seem to make the distinction between treating kids like valuable human beings and "putting them on a throne and worshipping them".

By the way, if children have no control or power over ANY part of their own lives, how are they going to learn to make decisions like responsible, autonomous human beings? They have to start somewhere. Or do you just wait until they're 18 to teach them how to be in control of their actions?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Everyone, and I don't care what your age is, needs to feel appreciated and valued as a person. I tell my kiddos all the time how awesome they are and how much a difference they make in home. I also tell them how blessed we all are to have each other.

How would you feel if all of your efforts went unrecognized, and unappreciated??

Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Seriously? Who decided that they shouldn't?

People cannot seem to make the distinction between treating kids like valuable human beings and "putting them on a throne and worshipping them".

By the way, if children have no control or power over ANY part of their own lives, how are they going to learn to make decisions like responsible, autonomous human beings? They have to start somewhere. Or do you just wait until they're 18 to teach them how to be in control of their actions?
And so society is swirling down the drain. Why is that? Because children grow up believing they are worshipped (whether you like that term or not) and oh-so-very-special just by existing. By the time they are young adults, they have absolutely no idea how to manage their lives in a productive way.

So yes, I am VERY serious. Parents can love the daylights out of their children without making kids feel entitled and worshipped.

Parents can raise their children to be responsible, caring, productive adults without giving them control over their lives at the age of seven.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Aunt 936 View Post
Everyone, and I don't care what your age is, needs to feel appreciated and valued as a person. I tell my kiddos all the time how awesome they are and how much a difference they make in home. I also tell them how blessed we all are to have each other.

How would you feel if all of your efforts went unrecognized, and unappreciated??
Good luck with your little thief.

The key word here is EFFORTS. Existing does not take effort by a child. Appreciating a child for nothing sets them up for failure later in life.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:

**A little unnecessary.

The key word here is EFFORTS. Existing does not take effort by a child. Appreciating a child for nothing sets them up for failure later in life.
Yes, existing in the world now and days and being successful at it, takes a tremendous amount of effort, even for a 7 year old.

Thanks, and thanks for sharing you opinion. Even though I don't agree with it, I appreciate it and you for taking your time to post it.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
And so society is swirling down the drain. Why is that? Because children grow up believing they are worshipped (whether you like that term or not) and oh-so-very-special just by existing. By the time they are young adults, they have absolutely no idea how to manage their lives in a productive way.

So yes, I am VERY serious. Parents can love the daylights out of their children without making kids feel entitled and worshipped.

Parents can raise their children to be responsible, caring, productive adults without giving them control over their lives at the age of seven.
Who's saying any of that? I don't see anybody advocating for worshipping children.

When do you start giving them some control? On one hand you say they have no idea how to live their lives in a productive manner as young adults, on the other you say they aren't to be given any control over their lives when they're young.

How is it they become responsible adults if you don't treat them as responsible children, obviously in an age appropriate manner?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Perhaps if someone had appreciated you as a child, you wouldn't be so rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting