Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM

53 posts, read 63,775 times

Advertisements

I know this might sound weird, but I love when my son eats a lot. I have a college age girl, an elementary age girl, and 15 year old boy/girl twins. He has developed a massive appetite. He is several inches taller than me and very thin, but wants to eat constantly. His twin rejected the sausage biscuits I made for breakfast and just said she isn't hungry (she is totally teeny and only eats a lot after sports practice) and I said "give them to your brother, he'll gladly take them" and he just grinned and grabbed them.

The college girl works out as part of her scholarship and is constantly complaining that college food is greasy and all she eats is fruity pebbles. The youngest is a little chunky, and we are working on healthy eating habits for everyone (in a very non negative way). The 15 year old girl...well...she could eat her weight in fruit and peanut butter cups, but otherwise rarely has much of an appetite unless she just gets home from cheer or track. They are all needy.

Why does his appetite make me proud? Because he is growing into a man? Because he is a boy and boys eat more? I'm not really sure, but for some reason it makes me proud when he is hungry. Is that weird?

Same thing goes for when he opens the door for people, or sees elderly people struggling with their grocery cart and offers to put it away for them, or hugs me and tells me he loves me. It just makes me proud to have a growing man...is that kooky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,792 times
I think some people just enjoy feeding others. Every grandma I've ever known has been this way...it's like they think their grandchildren will starve lol.

I don't really like it when my kids eat a ton, because it gets really expensive lol. I have 3 teens (and one preteen) and they eat like there is no tomorrow. My oldest made snickerdoodles, 30 cookies and the kids hoovered them right up. I have to make double batches of everything, because nothing stays around for long.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsMeoww View Post
I know this might sound weird, but I love when my son eats a lot. I have a college age girl, an elementary age girl, and 15 year old boy/girl twins. He has developed a massive appetite. He is several inches taller than me and very thin, but wants to eat constantly. His twin rejected the sausage biscuits I made for breakfast and just said she isn't hungry (she is totally teeny and only eats a lot after sports practice) and I said "give them to your brother, he'll gladly take them" and he just grinned and grabbed them.

The college girl works out as part of her scholarship and is constantly complaining that college food is greasy and all she eats is fruity pebbles. The youngest is a little chunky, and we are working on healthy eating habits for everyone (in a very non negative way). The 15 year old girl...well...she could eat her weight in fruit and peanut butter cups, but otherwise rarely has much of an appetite unless she just gets home from cheer or track. They are all needy.

Why does his appetite make me proud? Because he is growing into a man? Because he is a boy and boys eat more? I'm not really sure, but for some reason it makes me proud when he is hungry. Is that weird?

Same thing goes for when he opens the door for people, or sees elderly people struggling with their grocery cart and offers to put it away for them, or hugs me and tells me he loves me. It just makes me proud to have a growing man...is that kooky?
It's not kooky that you are proud of your son growing up and is polite. It is a bit weird that you are proud of his appetite over your other children. You should concentrate on the former and downplay the latter.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
What comes to mind for me is that he's healthy. He sounds like an active, fit kid and an appetite will go along with that. So, perhaps it's a cue that all is going along as it should. I experience gratification when my baby eats well.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:29 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,757 times
You find satisfaction from providing for your family? Providing meals is a basic and very visible component of that.

When someone invests time in a meal, it is gratifying to the cook to see it enjoyed. Your son seems to enjoy (or at least eat) what you provide. His sister sounds picky.

Or maybe you find him to be the easiest at this stage?

In any case, you are a parent of teenagers. There is a considerable margin of insanity allowed.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's not kooky that you are proud of your son growing up and is polite. It is a bit weird that you are proud of his appetite over your other children. You should concentrate on the former and downplay the latter.
LOL, you are right about that...it isn't so much that it is over the other kids, it is just a girl versus boy thing...girls always seem so darn picky. And he is small, has a lot of growing to do, much more than the girls, so it is kind of cool to observe the process. I was away at college when my little brother sprouted up and got "big", so I missed most of it. I remember coming home for Christmas once and looking at my brother and thinking "who is that?" Boys seem to change more suddenly. I just think the difference is fascinating, and for some reason I am proud when he is a typical boy and wants to eat the whole pantry. The girls are just so weird about food! Hungry sometimes, sometimes not, it is annoying.

Maybe it is the whole maturation process I am finding fascinating...the boy versus girl thing. Especially with twins, the differences between the sexes have always been very interesting. For example, all toys in the toy boxed were mixed together, but he'd pick the boy stuff and she'd wear the princess crowns...just naturally. My boy is just so genuine about food, it is refreshing after dealing with girls.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:21 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,917,567 times
It's probably the freedom of the mother-son relationship, too. I think they have the ability to be less complicated then mother-daughter (at least it is seeming that way to me). And I think the growing spurt is a physical reminder that our little boys will be turning into men, soon. I feel the same way with my son. He is starting to always be hungry... I know that it means he's entering into puberty soon and I, too, feel this small twinge of giddiness. It's like another surprise gift--first was the surprise of what kind of baby we would have, and now we get to witness what kind of man he will be.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
It's probably the freedom of the mother-son relationship, too. I think they have the ability to be less complicated then mother-daughter (at least it is seeming that way to me). And I think the growing spurt is a physical reminder that our little boys will be turning into men, soon. I feel the same way with my son. He is starting to always be hungry... I know that it means he's entering into puberty soon and I, too, feel this small twinge of giddiness. It's like another surprise gift--first was the surprise of what kind of baby we would have, and now we get to witness what kind of man he will be.
Exactly. You totally nailed it, I couldn't put it into the right words!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:17 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsMeoww View Post
LOL, you are right about that...it isn't so much that it is over the other kids, it is just a girl versus boy thing...girls always seem so darn picky. And he is small, has a lot of growing to do, much more than the girls, so it is kind of cool to observe the process. I was away at college when my little brother sprouted up and got "big", so I missed most of it. I remember coming home for Christmas once and looking at my brother and thinking "who is that?" Boys seem to change more suddenly. I just think the difference is fascinating, and for some reason I am proud when he is a typical boy and wants to eat the whole pantry. The girls are just so weird about food! Hungry sometimes, sometimes not, it is annoying.

Maybe it is the whole maturation process I am finding fascinating...the boy versus girl thing. Especially with twins, the differences between the sexes have always been very interesting. For example, all toys in the toy boxed were mixed together, but he'd pick the boy stuff and she'd wear the princess crowns...just naturally. My boy is just so genuine about food, it is refreshing after dealing with girls.
Do your daughter's know you find them to be such problems? Because if you do....I feel sorry for them. I do not have a son...only a daughter.....but I can't imagine saying the things you just have about your daughter's about her.

Providing healthy meals for family should be a given...for all family members. The fact that you are take pride in that your son eats while calling your daughters names....it simply is not right.

Ever think that maybe you are part of why they are so 'picky'? If it's your doing that your son eats we well...then it's your doing if your daughters don't. As a parent you don't get to claim the good and deny the rest.....and certainly not based on gender.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Do your daughter's know you find them to be such problems? Because if you do....I feel sorry for them. I do not have a son...only a daughter.....but I can't imagine saying the things you just have about your daughter's about her.

Providing healthy meals for family should be a given...for all family members. The fact that you are take pride in that your son eats while calling your daughters names....it simply is not right.

Ever think that maybe you are part of why they are so 'picky'? If it's your doing that your son eats we well...then it's your doing if your daughters don't. As a parent you don't get to claim the good and deny the rest.....and certainly not based on gender.
Really, in the spectrum of parenting issues, using the wordy "picky" as an adjective, even with the "darn so" as a modifier, not even a blip. Really not worth a hundred and fifty word diatribe.

Don't be so touchy! Or is that too much name calling to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting