Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM

508 posts, read 663,603 times

Advertisements

No, and no elaborate parties with kids from school invited either. Birthdays are family affairs, not neighborhood festivals.

And the issue isn't shifting a birthday - it's celebrating it twice during the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:52 PM

31 posts, read 42,958 times
Heck No-way!! I would never do that. Gosh if parents have the time and money for half-birthdays maybe they need to look beyond their family. Lots of kids in foster care or homeless shelters abound that could use a nice treat once in awhile... Maybe these families could include their children and show them how to "give" instead of expecting a me-party every 6 months. Sounds like the grandparents from the me-generation started this. IMO

Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
I've never heard of such a thing? between Christmas, Easter, Valentines, Halloween, Ice Hockey / Soccer, Girl Scouts, and the five birthdays a year we celebrate It's more then enough for our family. Besides, every day the family has dinner together and that makes up for the other half, lol. I'm always working and would miss the other half anyhow. lol.

A lot of people don't celebrate Christmas, Easter, Valentines, etc.... And honestly the way some other people commercialize some of those holidays, I would argue that a half birthday party is no more or less likely to spoil your child.

I always roll my eyes at Valentine's Day. You really need a commercialized day encouraged by consumer retailers to have a special day / night with your loved one? I make sure to avoid eating out on Valentine's Day. In fact my husband owns a restaurant and won't work that day. Haha.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Kids came over on Christmas for a birthday party for your sibling and your parents put the rest of the family on hold while they had a party? I just really, really doubt that.
Doubt it all you want, it happened no matter how much you wish it didn't.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
A lot of people don't celebrate Christmas, Easter, Valentines, etc.... And honestly the way some other people commercialize some of those holidays, I would argue that a half birthday party is no more or less likely to spoil your child.

I always roll my eyes at Valentine's Day. You really need a commercialized day encouraged by consumer retailers to have a special day / night with your loved one? I make sure to avoid eating out on Valentine's Day. In fact my husband owns a restaurant and won't work that day. Haha.
LOL,

Old 03-20-2014, 01:46 PM

400 posts, read 793,764 times
No. In my family, we have "un-birthday parties." Like in Alice in Wonderland.

I kid, but really I think that two birthday parties a year is excessive. And when I hear "birthday party" I think of one kid as the center of attention, cake, balloons, and tons of presents. (I realize that's not what everybody thinks, though.) I personally think that waiting the full year makes a birthday that much more special.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not that old (38) and we had no such things.
I suggest any budgeting going to that go back to arts or athletics, since those are sorely missed.
There isn't a "budget" for birthdays at school. The classmates sing Happy Birthday and the birthday child may wear a handmade papercrown (or one purchased by the teacher---something like 25 paper crowns for $3.99) and maybe the teacher or principal gives a pencil or a sticker. During snack time the birthday child may hand out treats instead of the children eating the treat that they brought from home.

It really isn't a big deal unless you have a summer birthday or a holiday birthday and miss the birthday acknowledgement every year.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I don't see what difference the date of the birthday party itself makes. Plenty of kids are born on holidays, and parents do their best to work around them. That's what we had to do. I think birthday parties falling on an actual birth date are the exception, not the rule.

I wonder if the OP is referring to having two celebrations TBH. That, I never hear of.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
No. In my family, we have "un-birthday parties." Like in Alice in Wonderland.

I kid, but really I think that two birthday parties a year is excessive. And when I hear "birthday party" I think of one kid as the center of attention, cake, balloons, and tons of presents. (I realize that's not what everybody thinks, though.) I personally think that waiting the full year makes a birthday that much more special.

A lot of the child birthday parties I attend are an excuse for the parents and friends to all get together. Friends without kids are invited as well, and there is kid food as well as wine/beer and food for the adults. There is usually a moment of cake cutting/ singing but after that 10 minutes it's back to just everyone mingling/ hanging out and kids running around and playing. You shouldn't need an excuse to get together, like a birthday, but in reality you often do. It doesn't have to be a whole afternoon of spoiling the child nor should it have to be be material and based on gifts.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:54 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My neighbor was over today and mentioned that a lot would be going on at his house this weekend because his granddaughter's "Half-Birthday Party" was being held at his place. I've never heard that term before and asked what he meant. He said not only are his grand-kids given birthday parties, but also a second one six months later. In other words, two events per year where the child is treated to a special event including guests and gifts. When I said I'd never heard of such a thing, he insisted that Half-Birthdays are all the rage the these days. He's not the kind of person to make something like that up, so what gives?

Is this some kind of regional trend? Parents, do you celebrate your children's half-birthdays? To me, not being a parent, it seems like a lot of pressure to plan a party for each one of your kids every year. Now you're supposed to do it twice?

I've heard of it, but never did it. My kids have winter birthdays. When they were in elementary school through middle school, we had an inground pool and they each had plenty of pool parties.

We never called them "half birthday parties" - or expected gifts.

Sounds like an attempt to bilk gifts and money from friends and relatives.

Call me cynical if you wish. It's been said before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting