Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:44 PM

371 posts, read 2,025,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
For awhile I was putting most of my kids toys in a big bag in the garage. I would rotate out 2-3 new toys every few days. This made them fun, because the kids always had 'new' toys. If you don't see something for a month, it becomes new again. If your child is 5, are there any kids in the neighborhood that he can play with?
Awesome idea and started that today. I'll let you know. There aren't many kids his age in the neighborhood. We are rural and most are grown. I look forward to school in the Fall for his sake and Lord knows what I'm going to do. Everyone wants to know that I talk to. "You will go back to work - right?" My response in my head is "Yes of course, but I have to be there for him if he's sick, field trips, snow days . . ." Yeah, I'd hire me - not! It won't be easy, but we'll figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:33 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,645,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
You can have another. My daughter became much more independent after her brother came along.
Hahaha! I can't help but laugh, pocono! You sound like my dh...who keeps saying the same thing as a reason for getting another kitten!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:52 AM

222 posts, read 1,052,468 times
Sometimes it helps to "wean" a child off playing with you before independent play. Have him play in the kitchen while you cook. Offer to say the voices for a character, but have him do any of the actions. Later (day, week, whenever feels right) have him ply in the kitchen but have him do the voice or you (Mommy is really busy, can you "talk" for me?). Later still, have him plan in an adjoining room.

A lot of the time kids just get used to it and can't think of doing it any other way. Today my almost 5yo wanted me to play chutes and ladders. When I said I couldn't, she said "It's ok Mommy, I'll move your person for you and everything" so that I would still "play"

Old 12-09-2007, 08:29 PM

371 posts, read 2,025,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koofie View Post
Sometimes it helps to "wean" a child off playing with you before independent play. Have him play in the kitchen while you cook. Offer to say the voices for a character, but have him do any of the actions. Later (day, week, whenever feels right) have him ply in the kitchen but have him do the voice or you (Mommy is really busy, can you "talk" for me?). Later still, have him plan in an adjoining room.

A lot of the time kids just get used to it and can't think of doing it any other way. Today my almost 5yo wanted me to play chutes and ladders. When I said I couldn't, she said "It's ok Mommy, I'll move your person for you and everything" so that I would still "play"
Thank you! Thank you! That's great advice and I will definitely start on that tomorrow morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting