Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 05:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,703 times

Advertisements

After reading the topic " Do you do everything for your boys?" I got to thinking, what do you think are the possible negatives for single fathers raising girls? Now, just like single mothers can still raise boys into good men, undoubtedly single fathers are capable of raising girls into good women, however, it's not as prevalent, but indeed growing. So, for the sake of argument if it were 50/50 and the ration of single men raising daughters were the same as single mothers raising sons, what do you think could be possible negatives?

Do you personally see it as really any different in how a single father could raise a girl to be a woman as vice versa assuming the father raising the daughter is kind, compassionate much like a single mother raising a son?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Aren't you the poster that has disdain for single mothers raising boys?

What is that you are asking? IF you are asking do I think a single Dad could raise a kind, compassionate daughter - then the answer is Yes.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:13 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Quote:
Aren't you the poster that has disdain for single mothers raising boys?
What is that you are asking? IF you are asking do I think a single Dad could raise a kind, compassionate daughter - then the answer is Yes.
I never said such a thing....

Old 04-19-2014, 06:25 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
I have a close friend who is raising his daughter (her mom died of breast cancer). He's doing a great job and his daughter is just a lovely girl. I think if kids are raised by loving involved caregivers that's the most important thing

Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
My daughter went to school from 2nd grade on with two girls whose mother died very young from breast cancer. Their father worked full time and raised these girls with a great deal of help from his former sister in law as well as members of his own family. He had more help than most parents but that does not diminish his role in bringing up two very compassionate and intelligent women. Both are married now with families of their own. He never went on a date after his wife's death until after the youngest girl was married. He went on cruises etc but he told me he wasn't so much looking for a new partner as he was trying to fill his incredibly lonely life. He made those girls his entire life just like so many moms do but now he is caregiver for 2 grandsons and is in 7th heaven. You have never seen such a happy and content man. He beams.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
what do you think are the possible negatives for single fathers raising girls?
I can not think of a single one - except for the obvious GENERAL point that clearly single parents have a larger strain on their financial and time resources than couples or other relationship constellations.

Did you have any negatives in mind in particular? Because as I said I am failing entirely to even begin to think of any.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 AM

579 posts, read 762,042 times
IMO the daughter usually grows up resenting her father. Because
A) "He couldn't possibly understand girl problems"
B) "He always associates/brings home stupid girls"

Old 04-22-2014, 04:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I have a close friend who is raising his daughter (her mom died of breast cancer). He's doing a great job and his daughter is just a lovely girl. I think if kids are raised by loving involved caregivers that's the most important thing
+1. It matters not who raises children. Do you know what adoption is, OP? It's a very successful process which works amazingly well for many families. Then there are gay couples raising kids, kids raised by extended family members, even the unusual situation where kids are raised by a friend in a nonlegal custodial arrangement. I was raised by my mom in a lesbian relationship along with my half sister (her daughter) in a split custodial arrangement part time, and the rest of the time I lived with my father, who remarried my stepmother and had three daughters with the new wife. It was a schizophrenic living situation, but I'd like to think I'm a kind and compassionate person. I'd even venture so far as to say I am more openminded to certain ideas of family than others due to my background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting