Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,192,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, but over 200,000 children were abducted by family members and only 115 children were victims of the stereotypical kidnapping where the child was held overnight, transported 50 miles or more, killed, ransomed or held with the intent to keep the child permanently.

Not only that, but...
This too:
//www.city-data.com/so/sexoffenders.html

I wasn't going to take a chance and have my son become a statistic or a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,792,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
This too:
//www.city-data.com/so/sexoffenders.html

I wasn't going to take a chance and have my son become a statistic or a victim.
The problem with the sex offender registry is that

1. many sex offenders are never caught and so the list gives you a false sense of safety.
2. many of the sex offenders are adult on adult rather than adult on child crimes.
3. some of the people placed on the registry are really NOT sex offenders - they had consensual sex with teenage partners and the parents pressed charges, so the 18 to 21 year old *adult* was registered as an offender.
4. most of the sex offenders offended against girls or women, not against boys or men.

You seriously need to look at risk rather than being so scared to live.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,214,787 times
I work with sex offenders and have no concerns sending my boys into the bathroom. You need to look harder at your computers and trusted adult friends if you are on the lookout for pedophiles. Registry? Most offenders have never been convicted, sorry.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:41 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,482,626 times
Quote:
In a 1999 report by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children there were 58,000 children
abducted by non-family members. If a mother wants to take her son to a women's rest room
(in an enclosed stall) for whatever reason, let her.
Non family members. Not strangers from the bathroom. Statistically this is usually Mommy's creepy new boyfriend.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem with the sex offender registry is that

1. many sex offenders are never caught and so the list gives you a false sense of safety.
2. many of the sex offenders are adult on adult rather than adult on child crimes.
3. some of the people placed on the registry are really NOT sex offenders - they had consensual sex with teenage partners and the parents pressed charges, so the 18 to 21 year old *adult* was registered as an offender.
4. most of the sex offenders offended against girls or women, not against boys or men.

You seriously need to look at risk rather than being so scared to live.
Would you say that and give your list (above) to the father of Adam Walsh?
Are you saying parents shouldn't be cautious since there are people who are called pedophiles?
No need for the last comment.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,482,626 times
Quote:
Would you say that and give your list (above) to the father of Adam Walsh?
Are you saying parents shouldn't be cautious since there are people who are called pedophiles?
No need for the last comment.
Sure there are pedophiles. More often though there are car accidents, chokings, drownings, traumatic brain injuries from sports, accidental poisonings, lightning strikes, cancer, and mudslides. All of which are more likely to kill your child than a trip to the bathroom.

John Walsh by the way has changed his views dramatically on "stranger danger" in the last few years.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM

And car seats, seat belts, vaccinations, check-ups............

with some common sense
Keep Your Children Safe

How to Keep Your Children Safe: 8 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

https://www.highlights.com/everyday_...g_them_fearful

Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 PM

275 posts, read 771,463 times
My son is 8 and at this point I take him with me only if I also have to go and we are together. I don't want to leave him outside waiting for me by himself. I just don't feel he is safe in that situation. But if he needs to go and I don't, then, I'll send him to men's room and wait by the door for him. I don't know what the big deal is though. What can a 8 year old do to you in the women's bathroom?

Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,892,990 times
I didn't read all the replies but I think in the majority of situations a boy is perfectly capable of using the men's restroom by himself and there is no need to accompany mom into the women's restroom.

I don't remember how old my son was when he stopped coming with me...probably 5 if not sooner.

For those who are scared of "strange men" in the bathroom, if your kids are school aged how do you think they cope at school in the bathroom, when there other males besides just the students using the bathrooms?

Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,792,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I didn't read all the replies but I think in the majority of situations a boy is perfectly capable of using the men's restroom by himself and there is no need to accompany mom into the women's restroom.

I don't remember how old my son was when he stopped coming with me...probably 5 if not sooner.

For those who are scared of "strange men" in the bathroom, if your kids are school aged how do you think they cope at school in the bathroom, when there other males besides just the students using the bathrooms?
What schools have men using the bathrooms? None that I know of.

Most kindergartens, btw, have bathrooms in the classroom and most elementary schools take the children to the bathroom as a class (though kids *can* sometimes go alone if they have to go between those times - mostly though at least two kids go together).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting